It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officer pepper-sprays seated, non-violent students at UC Davis

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneManArmy

Originally posted by MorbiSemper
See, the moment the pepper spray would have been used, I would have been in the guy's face.

To hell with civil disobedience, that guy needed a good shove in an eye opening direction. However, I can't help but wonder why in the flying hell would ANY police officer find this an appropriate move on their part? Perhaps its a good thing however.

More and more people are starting to see the brutalization of the little people in a big way. While I hope it doesn't escalate to such violence as Tahrir Square, I can't help but think that 'Non-Violent Protest' is getting us no where.

Non violence gets others on board. They can then see a noble cause in peace in the face of brutality.
If they had attacked the officer that would have opened the floodgates for some real abuse of these protesters and would have given them no moral high ground to stand. They would then no longer be the martyrs, but just more violent thugs which the media would have edited the video and portrayed them to be the criminals not the victims. This is why at this stage non violence is essential.

This comment is exactly what makes us a better human being.

Non violence gets others on board. They can then see a noble cause in peace in the face of brutality.

But,then there comes a tripping point that the brutality becomes defending ones life.
If and when we reach that point,which I hope we won't,it could get very ugly.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I agree completely! Those kids, tho painful as it was, remained calm and that act alone only made that officer look that much worse! I applaud them as I myself would def have been violent in retaliation.

AND, if one observes the situation as a whole, it inspires others to the cause. The more people involved; the more strength is gathered. I mean, look at whats happening in Egypt right now! The power of the people and they're beliefs is incredible!

I think the key is: confidence in who you are, and what your about!

ThatGuy45

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The back-story on UC Davis Chancellor, Linda Katehi.

GL

Mark Ames: How UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi Brought Oppression Back To Greece’s Universities

Yves here. Reader sidelarge raised the issue yesterday in comments, of UC Davis chancellor Linda Katehi’s role in abolition of university asylum in Greece. The story is even uglier than the link he provided suggests.

A friend of mine sent me this link claiming that UC Davis chancellor “Chemical” Linda Katehi, whose crackdown on peaceful university students shocked America, played a role in allowing Greece security forces to raid university campuses for the first time since the junta was overthrown in 1974. (H/T: Crooked Timber) I’ve checked this out with our friend in Athens, reporter Kostas Kallergis (who runs the local blog “When The Crisis Hits The Fan”), and he confirmed it–Linda Katehi really is the worst of all possible chancellors imaginable, the worst for us, and the worst for her native Greece.
Link

Related: November 17: Why this day is so important for Greeks

ETA: UC Davis Chancellor’s role in Greek repression

edit on 23-11-2011 by OBE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Our constitutional right as laid out by our forefathers.

The United States constitution explicitly provides for 'the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances'" in the First Amendment.

en.wikipedia.org...

In Oakland, Calif., riot-gear clad police officers cleared demonstrators from their encampment using rubber bullets and tear gas grenades, gravely wounding an Iraq war veteran in the process. At the University of California at Davis, campus police doused the faces of seated protesters with pepper spray at close range, in an incident that quickly went viral after video of the event appeared online. Other cities have taken a different approach. In Albany, N.Y., a planned move by the mayor -- with the support of Gov. Andrew Cuomo -- to oust Occupy demonstrators from a city park near the capitol was quashed after the city's police chief and district attorney aired reservations. "So long as we have no violence that is being perpetrated against law enforcement and no damage to state property, there's room for peaceful coexistence here," the district attorney, P. David Soares, said in a recent interview with the Associated Press. "I support the right of all parties to assemble peacefully and express their points of view."

"I support the right of all parties to assemble peacefully and express their points of view."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I am laughing,cause,ya know,it is our constitutional right to peacefully assemble.
I support it?
Really,thank god someone does.

I think our constitutional rights have been breached in this war against wall street,but ,somehow,some people think it has not been.
If you do not see this then here in America,we are on a spiraling , downward,slippery slope into losing our personal freedoms,supported by you,those against OWS.
Imagine the implications of this all,what this will lead to.
Think about it.
We are all in this together,whether you like it or not.
edit on 23-11-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I noticed a new item on Amazon.com. The comment is kinda funny.

www.amazon.com...=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy= bySubmissionDateDescending

1,598 of 1,637 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Product Warnng: This procuct multiplies protesters
I casually used this product to try to disperse a small band of non-violent campers who had locked their arms together. Although initially it seemed to be effective, it took two applications! The worst part is that the next day they multiplied exponentially! Now what?

One positive outcome, I did receive a paid vacation for my efforts.

Published 1 day ago by pen name

of 3 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Smells like... victory., November 23, 2011
By Eric P. Fredrickson "Voracious Reader" (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME) This review is from: Defense Technology 56895 MK-9 Stream, 1.3% Red Band/1.3% Blue Band Pepper Spray (Misc.)
Smell that? You smell that? Pepper Spray, son. Defense Technology 56895 MK-9 Stream, 1.3% Red Band/1.3% Blue Band Pepper Spray, to be specific.

I love the smell of Pepper Spray in the morning. Nothing else in the world smells like that. Smells like... Victory.

I remember this one time we sprayed for 12 hours. We just sprayed and sprayed. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' protester.

That smell, you know that distinctive peppery smell; reminiscent of tobacco and leather with just a hint of tannins to balance the sweetness. Very nice with blue cheese and dried fruit. I remember Megyn Kelly and I agreed it was an excellent food product. That was some night. Love that woman.

She smelled too. Smelled like... Victory.

Someday this movement's gonna end...

This amazon page is kinda funny. And no im not trying to sell anything.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

If this is true,this is huge!

A Greek friend has sent me lots of information on links between the suppression of dissent at UC Davis and similar events in Greece from the days of the military junta to the present. Here’s a video commemorating the 1973 uprising centred on Athens Polytechnic, which led to the downfall of the military junta the following year[1]. the last title says “The Polytechneio lives on. In struggles today.” Link

crookedtimber.org...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoor
Stupid people block path, stupid people refuse to move, they are then moved.

Simple really, it was their choice , they should start taking personal responsibility for their own actions!

Stupid cop assaults civilians, stupid cop refuses to stop, he is then incarcerated.

Simple really, it was his choice, he should start taking personal responsibility for his own actions!

Is how it should read... or

Stupid cop assaults civilians, stupid cop refuses to stop, he is then slandered on the internet.

Personal responsibility and all that.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
If this is true,this is huge!

I couldn't agree with you more KD. Thanks for taking the time to read & respond.

For the past month I've been following the events in Greece via Kostas Kallergis' blog > When the Crisis hit the Fan. Kallergis is Mark Ames' fact-checker for the Linda Katehi piece.

FWIW :

*Mark Ames is a frequent guest on The Dylan Ratigan Show - MSNBC.

**Ames & Matt Taibbi were co-editors of The Exile...forerunner to The Exiled.

GLTU

edit on 24-11-2011 by OBE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
One of the video's shows an interview with the chief saying the officers wanted to leave, but was surrounded then it cuts off like that was the excuse of spraying students. All I can say is what a load of crap.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Two Scandals, One Connection: The FBI link between Penn State and UC Davis

Dave Zirin on November 23, 2011 - 10:32am ET

Two shocking scandals. Two esteemed universities. Two disgraced university leaders. One stunning connection. Over the last month, we’ve seen Penn State University President Graham Spanier dismissed from his duties and we’ve seen UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi pushed to the brink of resignation. Spanier was jettisoned because of what appears to be a systematic cover-up of assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky’s serial child rape. Katehi has faced calls to resign after the she sent campus police to blast pepper spray in the faces of her peaceably assembled students, an act for which she claims “full responsibility.” The university’s Faculty Association has since voted for her ouster citing a “gross failure of leadership.” The names Spanier and Katehi are now synonymous with the worst abuses of institutional power. But their connection didn’t begin there. In 2010, Spanier chose Katehi to join an elite team of twenty college presidents on what’s called the National Security Higher Education Advisory Board, which “promotes discussion and outreach between research universities and the FBI.”

Spanier said upon the group’s founding in 2005, “The National Security Higher Education Advisory Board promises to help universities and government work toward a balanced and rational approach that will allow scientific research and education to progress and our nation to remain safe.” He also said that the partnership could help provide “internships” to faculty and students interested in “National Security issues.”

FBI chief Robert Mueller said at a press conference with Spanier, “We knew it would not be necessarily an easy sell because of the perceived tension between law enforcement and academia. But once we’ve briefed President Spanier on the national security threats that impact all of you here at Penn State and at other universities, it became clear to all of us why this partnership is so important. “

But the reality of this partnership is far different. Its original mandate was about protecting schools from “cyber theft” and “intellectual property issues.” As has been true with the FBI since Hoover, give them a foothold, and they’ll take off their shoes and get cozy. Their classified mandate has since expanded to such euphemisms as “counter-terrorism” and “public safety.” It also expanded federal anti-terrorism task forces to include the dark-helmeted pepper-spray brigades, otherwise known as the campus police. - Full Text

Related: UC Davis Chancellor serves as an FBI advisor

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

Interesting seems they are part of Infragaurd.

net.educause.edu...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sean
One of the video's shows an interview with the chief saying the officers wanted to leave, but was surrounded then it cuts off like that was the excuse of spraying students. All I can say is what a load of crap.

Well the video shows they got blocked, Chief Wiggum and the boys saw the path was blocked and just couldnt figure out a way around them. The possibility of just literally going around them was beyond comprehension, so out comes the pepper spray.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Yep. Seeing someone pepper sprayed and not reacting violently, but sitting and still holding their ground makes them look noble and who doesn't want to look noble? It garners respect. The non violent one, no matter their cause, will be in the right in that moment so others will join.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Well the video shows they got blocked, Chief Wiggum and the boys saw the path was blocked and just couldnt figure out a way around them. The possibility of just literally going around them was beyond comprehension, so out comes the pepper spray.

So,in other words,the police were just not the sharpest crayons in the box.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

You have to understand two things.

1) The new order always needs a scapegoat everyone hates, to gain the love of the people.

2) Before a new order can take root, it has to eliminate the old order.

By promoting and pushing officer's to be more brutal(lowering the standard for mental evaluation's etc) it alienates the police from the citizenry. Causing the citizenry to view police as nothing more then criminal's with a badge. It is interesting to watch another person's program work so easily. Because you have to remember the coming order wants to be loved. And no one is loved more than heroes. I could easily see a "military" coup happening soon. All the pieces are laid down, because the ideal time to pull it off is right when your target(scapegoat) begins to realize something is amiss(but before that can put their finger on it).

edit on 25-11-2011 by korathin because: punctuation error

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

You have to understand two things.

1) The new order always needs a scapegoat everyone hates, to gain the love of the people.

2) Before a new order can take root, it has to eliminate the old order.

By promoting and pushing officer's to be more brutal(lowering the standard for mental evaluation's etc) it alienates the police from the citizenry. Causing the citizenry to view police as nothing more then criminal's with a badge. It is interesting to watch another person's program work so easily. Because you have to remember the coming order wants to be loved. And no one is loved more than heroes. I could easily see a "military" coup happening soon. All the pieces are laid down, because the ideal time to pull it off is right when your target(scapegoat) begins to realize something is amiss(but before that can put their finger on it).

Exactly!

I am no longer posting much on ATS....as I am a little busy.

I am getting ready.

Many (not all) of the OWS people may be my brothers-in-arms on the left. They get it - from at least one perspective.

The Tea Party and many Ron Paul supporters - (but not all) may be my brothers-in arms on the right. They also get it, although from another perspective..

The crazy right-wingers (militia) and left-wingers (anarchists) will also be there, but will most likely be minor players in a much larger game.

It's about rights...and you don't vote on or pass laws on rights...that's why they call them rights.

Yet, "our" Congress continues to try and do just that. Really?

I am a "moderate" independent....or at least I used to be.

BTW - Up until 6 months ago - I had NO guns in the house. Never thought I needed one and thought the danger outweighed the benefit.

Now I have 4. And I am proficient with all of them. So is my wife - and she hates guns - and my oldest son.

It may be coming...and other's are preparing. Are you?

Here is just a small potatoes thing to think about....there are much larger ones than this but we need to start somewhere:

Remember the National Emergency Broadcast "test" a few weeks ago?

That system has been in place for over 50 years and finally now they decide to conduct a national test?

Really? Why now?

Or were they were taking a kind of inventory?....and remember, it's all digital now so almost everything has an address...(all TV's do but not all radios)...

Maybe I'm paranoid. Or maybe, if you check all of my previous posts you'll feel otherwise.

Maybe, it's good to have friends and ex-colleagues who still give a sh*t and think the truth still matters...

Time is short...and nothing is certain.

Watch Europe...it is a leading indicator...

There are no certainties but - are you ready?

Are you sure?

You don't prepare for what most likely will happen. You prepare for what COULD happen...

Those that do, tend to live and prosper. Those that don't...well, they don't.

And if you think "your" government is not preparing for what COULD happen - then you really haven't been paying much attention for the past 60 years or so.

So what it comes down to is: Who do you really trust?

Again - Are you ready?

edit on 11/25/2011 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

So,in other words,the police were just not the sharpest crayons in the box.

Hey I was just being sarcastic, lol. My bad.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Riffrafter

I am working on being prepared. As you stated with guns, I never had any need/care to own one. Just went to a gun shop and did a lil Q&A. January is the purchase date.

Just this week spent as much as i could spare on canned food. Bought Matches out the a**. Off to CVS tonight to get medical supply - LOTS OF H2O2 - cant go wrong.

so yep, im working on it! Other should too. This OWS - Police brutality things is just a sign for all to see.

Better prepared than not...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

No problem,I am huge on sarcasm.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

We have to go deeper...

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join