It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Meteor Sighting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Personally I have seen quite a few vivid green meteors (and even photographed them), but the vast majority were seen during the Leonid meteor storm of 2001.

Small sample group don't you think?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Meteors burn green as a result of frictional vaporization involving sodium, nickel and oxygen. Copper is not found in meteorites, other than in trace amounts.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I was just pointing out copper does indeed have a green flame in an earthbound fire pit. Oxygen is blue. Sulfur is yellow orangish brown. Carbon is black. What was the other thing?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
Small sample group don't you think?

Well I'm not going to post images that I have elsewhere on the net, but I have saved probably the best example (and quite rare - I've never come across an image like it anywhere) for ATS.

Here's a re-post (it was posted previously on ATS) of the only completely green Leonid that I captured during the storm of 2001. It's actually a Leonid "earth-grazer" (a meteor that only skims the outer layers of our atmosphere), hence why it's completely green - Oxygen is more prevalant than other gases at the altitudes at which meteors first become visible.

Note how long it is - a characteristic of grazers. Orion is in the bottom left of the image, to give it some scale.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Here's a re-post (it was posted previously on ATS) of the only completely green Leonid that I captured during the storm of 2001. It's actually a Leonid "earth-grazer" (a meteor that only skims the outer layers of our atmosphere), hence why it's completely green - Oxygen is more prevalant than other gases at the altitudes at which meteors first become visible. Note how long it is - a characteristic of grazers. Orion is in the bottom left of the image, to give it some scale.

That photo is stunning! Never seen a greeny captured like it, and agree it is a grazer.
. Excellent work!.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join