It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the sound on my laptop suddenly stopped working...help please!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
i have a few month old dell inspiron n5110. everything was working fine. the last thing i did was change my screensaver, which started playing music.

in the screen saver settings i shut that music off.

now a few hours later, i have no sound at all...

ideas?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

If all the easy fixes fail try reloading the lost good config before the error if you have a "restore" app. Or try reloading the sound driver, as it could have been corrupted. Also, double click the volume control in the task tray and make sure that both "volume control" and "wave" are both turned up and not muted.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jcord

nothing muted...device manager says everything is fine. could the screensaver be at fault?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

did a restart...no luck...running anti malware and antivirus now

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
A couple of questions.

What OS are you using?
Is the screensaver still installed?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

uninstalled screen saver....ran cc cleaner, restart and bingo, back up.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
sounds like sceensaver deinstallation partially deinstalled sound drivers too ?

i would remove the sound devices from the system manager by hand and let the hardware assistant find it again, forcing the computer to reinstall it.

unfortunatly there are a dozen of reasons and a modern sound system is not only 'renewing audio drivers', but i guess doing like this will remove ALL remaining files which were necessary for it and bring them back in proper order.

If the sound system turns out to be such a streamlined configuration, involving GFX too, you may go for renewing GFX drivers and DirectX too, and install that in a proper order, cause one component might requieres the other to be there to proper recognize the involved ressources.

involved software could be:
-Sound drivers itself
-DirectX drivers (often used by gfx software), presentig an interface between OS and apps
-GFX-drivers possibly too since most modern soundprocessing happens on GFX cards too, for the sake of having best audio where you look at (as observed in a seldom combination along with HDMI display outputs)
-so called sound codecs brought along with diverse GFX apps loke possibly the screensaver.
-middleware/patches introduced my Microsoft to solve issues like 'universal audiobus' recognition, as happens to me on an ASUS HD-Audio sound device. hints wether such a microsoft fix is necessary can be found searching the MS-knoweldebase

there are also tools where you can checkout functionality. tools like DXDIAG.EXE which should be somewhere on the hdd etc.

good luck

edit on 19-11-2011 by TMJ1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TMJ1972

thanks, great help.

in retrospect i should have waited a bit longer to post this thread, (hindsight now that all is well)

i was quite unnerved at the time however.

thanks all

let the you tubing commence!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Glad to hear everything's back up.

new topics

top topics

join