It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The PWS - Protect Wall Street movement

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

I must say, the first paragraph of your OP was awesome! 

Ya know, this video I posted the other day goes surprisingly well with your rant.

I usually don't lay it on that thick in my anti-OWS threads because OWS'ers are....well...kinda sensitive. But I'm glad you summed it up bluntly. Very refreshing.

Anyway, I personally don't blame OWS for any of the problems we face. They are angry, like me, about the corruption. I do think the way OWS has conducted themselves has been disgraceful. My main problem though has to do with the solutions being proposed by OWS. 

Answer this: 

Who allows Wall Street to rape our financial system?

Who takes bribes from special interest groups in exchange for favors? 

Who gives our money to certain corporations in exchange for kickbacks that benefit them financially?

Who fails to pass campaign finance reform that could stop a lot of these problems?

Who refuses to protect and represent the people who hired them?

Most importantly, can Wall Street fix any of these problems?

If WE THE PEOPLE demand reform and transparency from our GOVERNMENT the problems would go away. When will OWS direct all that energy into making that happen? 

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The answer to all those questions is the government.. the same government that Occupy is protesting against.
If you paid attention you would know that the protests aren't just about Wall Street. A lot of people (including protesters) thought that, and some still do, because Wall Street was the first place the Occupy movement went when it made it to America.

Occupy Wall Street is not a protest of Wall Street only.
It is part of the Occupy movement, which started in Malaysia. It's purpose is to bring attention to corruption of all types.

A lot of the Occupy protests are doing just what you asked. All three of the protests I have been to discuss the government end of the problem more than the wall street end.
edit on 19-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Come on! There are probably less OWS'ers protesting government than committing acts of violence....it's a small minority of the total group. 

Is calling for an end to capitalism your idea of protesting the government? Because I see those signs a lot. 

If OWS wants to fix Washington then why have they not occupied congress or the white house? Those are really the only two places they'd need to go, right?

Why would the same people who get large sums of money from the government (unions, acorn, etc) support OWS if OWS was going after government? Wouldn't that be counter productive?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist
The real threat... Federal agencies and corporate controlled thugs hiding behind city ordinances to trump the 1st and 2nd Amendments to our Constitution.

And do you think they do this just for grits and shiggles? Who are they working for, whose interests are they acting on behalf of? Where does that money come from? As the question being spoken in the streets goes, "Who do you serve, who are you protecting?"

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

All I can say is that, that shows how much you really know about the movement.
Answer that however you want, but the fact is I know better. The best thing you can do is go out and educate yourself about the movement. If you think they need to be redirected than you go and educate as well.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I baffled nones understood the OP was speaking ironacaly , using sarcasms....
Deny ignorance ?
Seriously ?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by seabag

Seabag, I just have to ask.

Do I need to hold your hand - again - to explain this very simple thing to you - again - so you can forget it - again - only to come back here and snivel with the same nonsense - again?

Because i'm nothing if not patient. Say the word, bro, and I'll walk you through this one more time.

I’m sure you really believe what you claim about OWS but the sooner you learn what’s really going on the sooner we can fix it. Stop being condescending and look deeper. I know you can do it!

The Occupy Wall Street movement, with an incoherent agenda that rails against income inequality and the evils of capitalism, ignores the fact that what we are practicing is not true capitalism, the version where businesses and entrepreneurs are allowed to compete on a truly level playing field to reap the rewards or be allowed to fail.

Instead, businesses large and small are encumbered by regulations and a byzantine tax code designed not to raise money for the needed functions of government but to reward or punish the behavior of corporations and individuals as the government sees fit.

Crony Capitalism: As the president embraces Occupy Wall Street, his favorite corporation paid no taxes in 2010 on $14 billion in profits, much of it overseas. Meanwhile, 20,000 jobs for the 99% go unfilled.

At a recent town hall meeting, Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., chairman of the House Budget Committee, reminded constituents of a story that broke earlier in the year - that General Electric paid no taxes on profit of $14 billion, $9 billion of which was earned overseas.

RealClearMarkets

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Several months? Movement is only a mere 9 wks old this week. Banks however are still catching flack for what they did in 08 to this day so in reality whose under a broader microscope?

Several months would constitute something like 5 months or more.
edit on 19-11-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

Several months? Movement is only a mere 9 wks old this week. Banks however are still catching flack for what they did in 08 to this day so in reality whose under a broader microscope?

Several months would constitute something like 5 months or more.
edit on 19-11-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

Just FYI again, showing critical thinking skills...........several is 2 or more you can google that.......

and 9 weeks is technically 2 months and a week......

Carry on..........

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Okay, I think people are confused from the format you used to create this post. I do believe that that first paragraph should be in quotes, because you imply that the paragraph is not your words. On the other hand, if they are, you should DEFINITELY do "/sarcasm" at the end of it, because it seems like about half of the people reading this post don't read between the lines.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The folks who are taking cash and in-kind grants from the government are a much bigger problem than the dudes in the $2000K suits. The fool who signed the contract to buy a $500K house with no down payment is a bigger problem than the gent in the bank. The politicians who perverted the credit standards and forced banks to give these folks loans everyone knew they ultimately could not afford are bigger problems. The unions who negotiate through extortion outrageous benefits and pensions are what make US business uncompetetive. When GM pays more for retiree benefits than they do for steel in a car, it ain't the cost of steel thats the problem.
The environmentalist loons who block practically any effort to improve the nations infrastrucure (look at this week's pipeline decision) are making US business uncompetetive.

Both sides of the equation are equally corrupt. Both are in bed with each other, both to blame. Whether or not they're to blame equally is a personal opinion, but to suggest that the folks who have been on the government teat using pressure politics to gain favorable outcomes via the political system are not a huge part of the problem is foolish. Richard Trumpka, head of the Teamsters meets with the White House several times a week. How often does Jamie Dimon (a huge democrat supporter) get to the White House? Maybe twice a year in a highly publicized session.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The answer to your questions is the people who foolishly buy into the con job of the free market, and vote for politicians who are the ones doing everything you are talking about.

How insane is it that the people who hate government vote for politicians who make and support all the laws that increases government power, more military, more police, less enforcement of laws that prevent white collar crime.

The people electing politicians who turn our government against the people are the ones most at fault.

Supporting the Free Market con is supporting the bankers, and the politicians who work for them.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Pure drivel nonsense that you keep repeating.

The suckers who took out the loans did their damage,

but the real criminals are the ones who intentionally defrauded the banks by falsely rating bad loans as good, enabling the con to continue, enabling them to continue making big bonuses, and bankrupting our economy.

And people like you who defend the crooks are the biggest problem of all.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I must say, the first paragraph of your OP was awesome! 

That could be because I made it up.

Answer this: 

Who allows Wall Street to rape our financial system? politicians who are all bribed and
paid off by Wall Street, who's policy actually originates with plenty of impute from Wall Street.

Who takes bribes from special interest groups in exchange for favors? 

Who doesn't??? this is where your point doesn't fly... They ALL do it, every single one.
You seem to think it is an isolated practice that will be resolved when new politicians
replace the old ones, which is a useless idea.

Who gives our money to certain corporations in exchange for kickbacks that benefit them financially?
Ya, because the corporations funded their political career, what the hell do you expect?

Who fails to pass campaign finance reform that could stop a lot of these problems?

I agree here

Who refuses to protect and represent the people who hired them?

The whole lot of them

Most importantly, can Wall Street fix any of these problems?

Yes, Wall Street can stay the fakc out of the political system and stop bribing politicians
or face revocation of their organizational status. The have free will, what happen to the
word responsibility?

If WE THE PEOPLE demand reform and transparency from our GOVERNMENT the problems would go away. When will OWS direct all that energy into making that happen? 

No it won't, tell me, are thing better after three years of the Tea Party? Huh?
Nothing has changed, precisely because the government is corrupted by Wall Street
and co. You can put just about any politician in there and they will be lobbied silly
by the same interests.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Whole lot of heart...

Not too much sense though. I was lost a number of times throughout.

Re-read.....re-read....re-read...DOH!

But i think im pickin up what you're putting down. Truthfully, im not against the movement, just annoyed with the way its being handled on both ends.

edit on 19-11-2011 by mthgs602 because: Im an idiot

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

The fool who signed the contract to buy a $500K house with no down payment is a bigger problem than the gent in the bank.

So are telling us that the banks didn't realize that the mortgages they were buying were
based upon very poor credit income ratio? Really, I thought banks have these things called
calculators. No body forced the banks to buy and sell loans that go beyond an and all
notions of reasonable risk.

The politicians who perverted the credit standards and forced banks to give these folks loans everyone knew they ultimately could not afford are bigger problems.

Helping low income families get loans worked fine for two decades, it was not until
Republicans came in and threw in their free market mantra which created the business model
for the derivative bonanza. Again the banks were not required to purchase loan bundles from
the mortgage companies, who were the originators of the loans.

The unions who negotiate through extortion outrageous benefits and pensions are what make US business uncompetetive.
Unions are at their lowest point in decades, I think it is funny
that as the unions disappear, so does the economic health of America.

You think, maybe trying to turn a few people into Trillionaires means less capital out there
for the rest of us to earn and circulate on a day to day basis?

edit on 19-11-2011 by mastahunta because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mthgs602
Whole lot of heart...

Not too much sense though. I was lost a number of times throughout.

Re-read.....re-read....re-read...DOH!

But i think im pickin up what you're putting down. Truthfully, im not against the movement, just annoyed with the way its being handled on both ends.

edit on 19-11-2011 by mthgs602 because: Im an idiot

No, I'm the idiot here really... Hopefully the movement can evolve into something
more effective.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastahunta
OWS is a communist plot destined to destroy capitalism and freedom.
They are also dirty hippies, lazy, union thugs, anti American, pro terrorist too.
They don't have any leaders or consistent message, they are illegitimate, evil,
uneducated and are protesting the wrong things. George Soros funds them, they
berate children, use babies for human shields, crap on cars and will be used to
extinguish your ability to do what you want in America.

There is no force on heaven or earth that can stop me from doing what I want where I want.

As for protecting Wall Street, you are defending a corpse.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by seabag

The answer to your questions is the people who foolishly buy into the con job of the free market, and vote for politicians who are the ones doing everything you are talking about.

How insane is it that the people who hate government vote for politicians who make and support all the laws that increases government power, more military, more police, less enforcement of laws that prevent white collar crime.

The people electing politicians who turn our government against the people are the ones most at fault.

Supporting the Free Market con is supporting the bankers, and the politicians who work for them.

I think the Free Market works great at a local level, I think it is criminal to apply
to the tip top firms that own 30 - 40 and 50% of the entire market place. But that
is exactly who is constantly deregulated, not the small guy mind you, but the bank
holding a trillion plus in assets. The PWS attitude cannot be reached with such
detailed logic, that's to complex, the banks know it too.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join