It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspicion in Iran that Stuxnet caused Revolutionary Guards base explosions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
" Iranian intelligence heads entertain two initial theories to account for the sudden calamity: a) that Western intelligence service or the Israeli Mossad managed to plant a technician among the missile program's personnel and he signaled the computer to order the missile to explode; or b), a theory which they find more plausible, that the computer controlling the missile was infected with the Stuxnet virus which misdirected the missile into blowing without anyone present noticing anything amiss until it was too late. "

Source

Exhaustive investigations into the deadly explosion last Saturday, Nov. 12 of the Sejil-2 ballistic missile at the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) Alghadir base point increasingly to a technical fault originating in the computer system controlling the missile and not the missile itself. The head of Iran's ballistic missile program Maj. Gen. Hassan Moghaddam was among the 36 officers killed in the blast which rocked Tehran 46 kilometers away.

A possible hi-jacked nuclear bomb is not a very good sign of things to come.A lot of what if's with this one..So if this program has the potential to detonate nuclear bombs on command,from a source,then whose to say that they couldn't override the whole system and launch a strike against another country,from another position,creating war...
edit on 18-11-2011 by Daedal because: added text

edit on 18-11-2011 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Iran ought to launch a few big bombs at Israel and then blame it on stuxnet.

"See what your virus made our missiles do?"

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
Iran ought to launch a few big bombs at Israel and then blame it on stuxnet.

"See what your virus made our missiles do?"

HAHA...I know that shouldn't be funny, but it made me laugh so it must have been. I never really looked into the virus/worm much when it was first discovered, and therefore I didn't know if this was the product of some good civilian hackers, or an actual military/intelligence operation.

It is pretty obvious now that this is an intelligence operation of some sort, from one of 2 or 3 countries that would have had the motive to launch such a cyber-attack. Actually, it was most likely either the US or Israel, as stated above by another poster.

I feel that Stuxnet was designed to put pressure on Iran politically, with a secondary objective of disabling as many of their missiles as possible. However, the clencher is that the designers didn't want to disable anything right away. It makes much more sense to keep that backdoor into the system wide open until it is needed.

This "malfunction" could have simply been the US or Israel sending another message, saying that "your missiles are belong to us, the uber leet hax0rz..." It is clear that this worm is extremely sophisticated, and not something that was just thrown together within a couple of days.

This was planned and coded by some of the best classified minds that the intel service responsible has on their team. Definitely designed with a strict purpose in mind, and I do not think the full extent of that purpose has been seen as of yet.

Maybe, and this is the scariest part, the US and/or Israel wanted to implement, and then test, as we saw with this explosion, the worm out, only planning to use it after the invasion of Iran. It would be a huge strategic and tactical advantage if you could disable a large portion of the defender's armament. I hope that this isn't the case, and that the worm was intended just to intimidate the Iranian government, otherwise we may be in for a bumpy ride.

ETA:
How could I have been so stupid to miss the completely obvious? I opened this post with a quote, which I took as a joke, but in reality could be just the opposite...a serious..? A false-flag sort of thing. The US or Israel triggering Stuxnet to launch a missile at another country, most likely Israel, giving them the justification to go to war. I mean that was staring me in the face all along and I missed it.

BUT, there is another side to this as well. It's a big what-if, but what if the Stuxnet virus was nothing but a fabrication by Iran in the first place? Could they launch at another country and then blame it on something that doesn't exist? This explosion, which killed some of their best people, would have been a perfect cover.

No one will believe they would have intentionally killed their program leader and all of these people intentionally...PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY!!! One of the scenarios I listed in this post has to be right. I think there were around 4 maybe...So ya, there ya go.
edit on 11/18/11 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Well, I doubt Iran is as intimidated my the worm as the media would want us to believe.

Iran has had its own weapons industry for around 25 years now... and have proven themselves to be capable of manufacturing their own tanks, APCs, missiles and fighter planes. A few explosions in the lab wont deter them.
edit on 19-11-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

BUT, there is another side to this as well. It's a big what-if, but what if the Stuxnet virus was nothing but a fabrication by Iran in the first place? Could they launch at another country and then blame it on something that doesn't exist? This explosion, which killed some of their best people, would have been a perfect cover.

Even if the virus is real... there is nothing to stop Iran from using this "virus" to their own advantage.
Israels cyber-attack can just as well backfire on them.

top topics

join