It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Unbuilt Washington' Exhibit Reveals Rejected Designs For D.C.'s Most Recognizable Landmarks (PHO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
'Unbuilt Washington' Exhibit Reveals Rejected Designs For D.C.'s Most Recognizable Landmarks (PHOTOS)

WASHINGTON -- For every monument, museum and bridge ever built in the nation's capital, you can bet there were myriad rejected design proposals, now living only as moldering drafts. A new exhibition at the National Building Museum called "Unbuilt Washington" aims to breath some life into these long-forgotten projects, on display Nov. 19 through March 28.

In the mix are some serious designs, like an early proposal for the White House thought to be drawn by Thomas Jefferson, and some not-so-serious ones, including a dolphin-themed hotel (with real, live dolphins!) and an interactive monument called the National Sofa that incorporated a screen that would have shown scenes from inside the White House. Some images suggest that now-cherished monuments could have looked completely different. The Lincoln Memorial, for instance, was once imagined as an imposing pyramid.

Might the recently proposed global trade center atop Interstate 395 near Mount Vernon Square, which incorporates the idea of the Earth as an egg splitting open to reveal a new structure, someday be added to this collection? "Unbuilt Washington" curator G. Martin Moeller Jr. certainly doesn't believe it'll ever be built.

"I suspect that's something that's not going to go very far," he told The Huffington Post this week at the exhibition's media preview on Wednesday. "It just goes to show you that there are still surprises coming out in the design and development world at all times. Reaction to that so far has not been particularly positive."

I thought this was very interesting to say the least. Here is a picture of what the Lincoln Memorial would have looked like.

There is a slideshow of different proposals for many of the famous places.

Enjoy!!
Peace, NRE.

Thanks for pointing that out!! Sorry here it is

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 18-11-2011 by NoRegretsEver because: OOPS!! So Sorry forgot the link!!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This is great thank you so much for sharing this.

I absolutely love this kind of stuff!

Havnt yet looked at the site yet, so i cant comment on the detals yet, but i certainly will.

NRE, star flag and thanks

edit:
heres the link everyone
edit on 18-11-2011 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2011 by youdidntseeme because: linked for the op

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
My apologies everyone, I got it up now

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

is there a link to the other pictures of other would-be monuments?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OsubsZero13

haha there it is nevermind, will definately check it out

new topics

top topics

join