It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Places to Hole Up if Things Go South?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Nice!! Also remote, easily fortified, and lots of chemicals for improvised explosives.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RSMLoaf

I prefer the idea of going to our mutual friend's ranch, now that I think about it. I'd be willing to work for my keep while we band together to survive the undead. He's got more guns than a local militia anyhow, hehe...
Glad you signed up!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Best place to hold up if things go south? I reckon in the north
sorry

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
When I drive I go by two storage facilities. Large ones with the tall roll ups. as I see people in them i look at whats inside. They belong to businesses and contain overstocks and supplies. I memorize which doors are which. Huge stocks of supplies which will remain in place for the most part. There are other ones as well in different places.

Those are aces stuck in each sleeve as well as several other hidden targets I can give up if needed. I wont say where to hole up for me, but if your stuck and havent gotten away.....you might need some extra cards to play your hand.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
have any of you thought about buying a foreclosed pawn shop or liquor store? most of them have solid concrete roofs and walls, as well as bars on the windows, there is a fine example of a bug out fortress in my hometown, solid concrete, small slit windows. solid steel door, as well as a solid steel garage door in the back that opens up into a large completely enclosed garage area, you could fit atleast 3 or 4 large trucks as well as bunks and supplies. all in all that place is the cat's meow for a bug out location.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
If I had no place set up to go to or be at for a national or global event...
I would stay put until I felt I had to go, then depending on what is/has happened...I would do what I could to be invisable and get to a place that I would feel was safe....be it a building, shed, cave, or ditch.
If you are alone, I hope you can get a group, because you cannot be awake and pulling security 24/7..365.
Do you have 2,3,4...20-50? who knows...you left way to many choices for anyone to be to detailed....if its a nuclear attack, any type of NBC attack, riots, economic collapse, natural disasters...earthquakes, hurricanes...the choices are as many as there are stars at this point.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Best place to hold up is New Zealand, they have everything right on 2 islands plus they are thousands of miles away from Everyone else
Long swim for them Zombies

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

as you are thinking on an ambitious scale that is likley dependant on having allies

i woulod suggest a country hotel , stately home , monastry or religious retreat

the reasoning :

remote rural location

enclosed land for crops / animals

independant utilities

hear is an example of what i mean

if the oportunity / nessescity arrose i know of a comparable site hear to me - that thanks to previous work i did - i know has open hearth fires in all public spaces [ except the function room , conference room , fitness suite ] , oil fired heating , and independant supply gas cooking , standby generators

its no use to me according to my current plan - but if i somehow hound myself with 15 ~ 100 allies - it would be ideal

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I would always say somewhere rural. The priority should be to get out of any major urban areas, and depending on the nature of the event, you'd decide how far you need to travel.
For example, if WW3 were to break out you'd want to be far enough away from any major city to avoid the attacks.

In almost every scenario leaving the cities is a wise move anyway. Whether it's WW3, disease, civil unrest or even the zombie apocalypse, being around so many people in such a place is asking for trouble.

I have a few places on my little map, all tiny villages out in the middle of fields, with less than ten homes. I'll be heading to one of those when the zombies start walking!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I would go to places with extreme climates, like Arizona or Canada. Most people wouldn't know how to live in either of those And the populations are low as long as you go to the right areas.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
There was a thread on here a while back, and I'm gonna stand by that one, that says to head to the library. Not only are most libraries solidly built, with many having concrete walls, they also have books for information and entertainment as well as having maps of the area for the most part. I also feel the need to point out that unlike super stores, libraries aren't raided. They also tend to have heavy wooden doors, and while many don't consider it now, those doors would be easy to barricade. Just don't piss off the librarians, if there are any there.

Also, in the direction of fireplaces, as mentioned earlier, use those only if you must, they lower the temperature in the surrounding rooms, so you would need a functioning fireplace in every room, with a fire going to warm a building that way, which uses a huge amount of wood. Ideally you want access to a wood burning stove, which not only heats more efficiently it can be used as a stove to cook on, if power is out.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

I was just going to say the same thing. I've seen some smallish local libraries that would make excellent retreats, and you cannot overstate the importance of having a wealth of both entertainment, and more importantly, knowledge, at your fingertips.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
More likely than not, we would all have to get organized into groups or small communities to even be serious about survival. The lone wolf tactic wont last long no matter how prepared you think you are. I ran across this and it got me thinking about how would you be able to stop a large well armed and trained group by yourself. We are going to have to realize that everybody is going to need someone when shtf.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

The number of people involved definately make a difference to your plan. 12-20 adults with no more than half hat number added as kids (30 total would be about the most that could be sustained for any lenght of time for 1-2 leaders can handle).
I do like the two ideas I read storage unit businesses or a pawn store. So ideally, the best place to bug out would be on a large sustainable farm so you can grow your own fruit & veggies, with a Wal-Mart distribution center on the property, that has a full 10 metal gate around it (get barbed or razor wire at the top from Wal-mart on your property), and if Wal-Mart doesn't have enough guns and ammo already, having a Pawn shop in the area would certainly be helpful.
Does that cover all contigencies?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The problem would be that everyone else would also be trying to hole up in those places and/or raid them for supplies

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

How about the industrial area of your town? There will find items to use as weapons, generators, wielding equipment, vehicles, water tanks, tyres, oh gosh the list goes on but you get the idea.

And there are normally small shops spread throughout for food ect also large refrigeration rooms, I’m assuming there won’t be any power, so they won’t be on and there solid steel construction, it wouldn’t take much to convert the latch to lock on both sides. Though you’d wanna hope no one locks you in

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

ive changed my mind, bugger the industrial area im bunkin down with you, that place is beautiful.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Alcatraz Island has got to be one of the most secure places i can think of. Its got maximum security already built into the design without the need for modification.

- Isolated.
- Secure from all sides.
- High walls.
- Steep banks.

- Theres plenty of defensible watch towers. Great for sniping zombies.

- Built in search lights.
- Internal security, much of which can be run without the need for electricity.
- Can land helicopters there.
- Sanitation built in.
- already has a morgue.

- Internal electrical system that can be run from a generator.

- Has medical facilities.

- Already has a water tower.

- You would be able to fish for food.
- Surrounding current so strong that only a couple of people have ever (allegedly) managed to escape. Zombies are not known for their Olympics swimming abilities.

-Also its close enough to the mainland so that if you ever did need to get supplies a simple motor boat would be all you need.

It has to be the ultimate hideout for any attack.

edit on 12-1-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I personally won't be going anywhere....... But.........If I were caught in town when TSHTF I would make a point to stop at the local Bass Pro/Outdoor World store. Everything you need to survive. I also think the library would be another stop I would have to make.

I think alot of us don't consider that we might be on the road when everything goes down. Keep a survival bag in the vehicle. Discuss this scenario with the people you live with in case you are not at home when it happens. For instance...an EMP.
You are on your way home from work when it happens and your wife and kids are at home or school or whatever. Have a plan.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
go south?? 2 words...

flordia

everglades

just about 40 miles away from where i live, the trip would take no more than 45 minutes (doing the speed limit)

but if things go south who cares about speed limits

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join