It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USMC and the War on Terrorism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Collage of some slow motion clips shot with an expensive film lens and an orchestral score over the top. A few dissolves and fades over choreographed live action.

I was waiting for Bruce Willis to appear.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
GradyPhilpott,

But see, the Marines only change the wording. Their message and slogan is still the same. They're just trying to get with the times, I guess.

The Army has to change it all, just to find something that captivates someone. Noting is more captivating than "The Few, the Proud." Who gives a # about "Army of One?" Ooh, that's scary!

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
If you guys have any specifics about Marine Recruiting ask me. There's a small command called Marine Corps Recruiting Command it operates out of HQMC and is the post that runs all Marine Recruiting. I worked there in the Public Relations / Press department from 1995 October to 1997 August.

And yes, "The Few, The Proud, The Marines" is a change form the original recruiting slogan. I'm sure a few of you can remember the original. Had something to do with the whole women's lib thing

That's the other thing I love about the Marines: unity.

Besides jobs, the Marine Corps is light years ahead in the "role of women" issue. The Marines simply say women won't serve in combat and they leave it at that, while other services squabble constantly. But what the Marines do is they have women do the exact same training, they train them to fight as if they are infantry, and they don't call women Marines women Marines.

Male or female, white or Asian, they're all Marines.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Who gives a **** about "Army of One?" Ooh, that's scary!

You are very right. An army of one is as oxymoronic as a gay marriage.

Consider the following:

www.geocities.com...

www.marine-family.org...

www.wigmusings.com...

www.opinionet.com...

www.panettainstitute.org...

www.heritage.org...

www.hpronline.org...

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

they don't call women Marines women Marines.

Male or female, white or Asian, they're all Marines.

When you get in you'll find out what women Marines are called and believe me, it's wholly respectful.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
GradyPhilpott,

Now I'm going to burst your bubble. Calling gay marriage oxymoronic is rude, stupid, and ignorant.

For someone who served in the Marine Corps, I thought you'd have more respect.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Now I'm going to burst your bubble. Calling gay marriage oxymoronic is rude, stupid, and ignorant.

It's not nice to call people rude, stupid, and ignorant, monica. I can see you're going to go a long way in the Marine Corps.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
It's not nice to call people rude, stupid, and ignorant, monica. I can see you're going to go a long way in the Marine Corps.

See, now that's oxymoronic. You say the above, yet you have disrespect for gay people.

Besides, I was calling the joke rude, stupid, and ignorant.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   

See, now that's oxymoronic. You say the above, yet you have disrespect for gay people.

Besides, I was calling the joke rude, stupid, and ignorant.

You are quite wrong, my friend. I have a great deal of respect for my homosexual brethren. I even have friends who are of the persuasion, but nothing will ever make marriage between homosexuals, not even my acceptance, anything but an absurdity and a travesty.

You would do well to learn more about those whom you presume to criticize.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I'll say it again. Marines are the greatest.

43 Marines can easily take on both the Republican Party and the Democratic Party!

43 Marines can also take on Gray aliens, a prison riot of the nastiest criminals, the Aryan Nations, the KKK, a Devil worshiping cult, an Illuminati gathering, extreme Christians (Jerry Falwell's followers), and Aliens from the movie Aliens all at once!

43 super best-friends/world's best fighters armed to the teeh and backed-up by an entire carrier battlegroup and an SSBN, that's something to be afraid of!

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   

You are quite wrong, my friend. I have a great deal of respect for my homosexual brethren. I even have friends who are of the persuasion, but nothing will ever make marriage between homosexuals, not even my acceptance, anything but an absurdity and a travesty.

You would do well to learn more about those whom you presume to criticize.

So you make fun of something you don't accept? So if I don't accept let's say a certain religion, I make fun of it?

I say that's fully deserving of criticism.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   
During the 90s the Marine Corps executed several combat excercises in New Orleans. The strange thing about these excercises was that you were hard pressed to notice that Marines were carry out urban warfare exercises all over the city. Most were held at night and only the choppers were the real give-away.

The concept behind these execises was something called the "Three Block War." Charles Krulak coined this term and now in Iraq these tactics are in wide use by the Corps--another testament to the ability of the Corps to anticipate the kind of war that will be fought in the future. This same ability was exemplified during the 30s when the amphibious warefare techniques used in WWII were perfected.

Here are some links:

www.nyu.edu...

www.usmc.mil...
www.usmc.mil...

www.stormingmedia.us...

www.geocities.com...

www.geocities.com...

www.ashbrook.org...

www.freerepublic.com...

www.showmenews.com...

www.pbs.org...

www.pbs.org...

bell.mma.edu...

www.humanunderground.com...

www.nationalreview.com...

www.mca-marines.org...

muller.lbl.gov...

www.hqmc.usmc.mil...

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   
When I think of 21st century Marines, I see urban combat.

Marine Corps are a really forward-projecting force. Good stuff.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I say that's fully deserving of criticism.

Please stay on topic. We are discussing the USMC role in the War on Terrorism. We took a sidetrack to encourage your interest in the Corps. You've got a long way to go. If you want to participate in the subject at hand please feel free. Otherwise, there are other forums where your criticisms will be welcome.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Finally, the Marines actually had the nerve to call me up and try to recruit me. The Army and the Navy pretended like I hadn't even asked for more information. It was as if they were saying, "If you want to join, fine, we don't care either way." But the Marine Corps, they wanted me to join them. That makes someone feel pretty damn good! After a life in which where I always took a backseat, finally someone wanted me to be part of something great.

The last thing I noticed was their advertisement. The U.S. Army spends truckloads on advertising. They have literally flooded television with so many different commercials. They have also gone from "Be All That You Can Be" to "Army of One" in a span of about 10 years. The Marine Corps started with "The Few. The Proud. The Marines." And they have never changed. And they reuse the same commercials, or they don't advertise at all. The U.S. Army freely distributes the multiplayer game America's Army. They have their own NASCAR team. The Marines need none of that. That tells you everything.

More on the Army. I hear nothing but whining from the Army. They hate the deployment time, they hate the lack of comraderie, they feel like they're in hostile territory, they're treated badly, etc. Why would anyone want to join such a corrupted organization? One that treats people (Iraqi prisoners) like garbage, and even their own soldiers (Army soldiers killed a fellow soldier in Georgia and tried to get away with it). I just cannot find the courage to join such a troubled team (or lack thereof). And the Marines have been getting their asses kicked in Iraq, yet they never complain. They just keep fighting. And Marines don't use politics or ideology to further themselves like the Army does. Nor do they try to paint a rosy picture. The Marines are honest, they tell it like it is.

First of all, interservice rivalry be darned, anyone who joins the military in any sense is a part of your family. Because someone chose to join the Marines doesn't make the sacrifice of any other service any less.

Second of all, recruiting by individuals is a geographic thing, my Army recruiter was on me like white on rice, and so was a navy recruiter, the lone Marine corp recruiter call went like this: Me: Hello?
Recruiter: is this Matt XXXXXXX
Me: Yes
Recruiter: Matt, this is Sgt. SO and so, are you interested in joining the Marines, if you are we'll make an appointment, but if your not don't bother because i'm too busy to be having people miss appointments, so don't screw with me.
Me: ok, thanks, click
So, just depends on your recruiter, get it??
And lastly, I have a family in my Army, you have a family in the Marines, my best friend has a family in the Navy, but we're all working for the same common goal, and don't ever forget that. The Army is NOT as troubled and dysfunctional as you make it sound. Marines complain, Seaman complain, Soldiers complain, and Airmen complain, its a military thing, not a particular service thing. Basically I don't like you coming in here and making an attempt to rip my choice of service up one way and down the other and would expect a little respect for someone who has actually made sacrifice, since you haven't yet.

Apologies to Grady for one last thread hijack, now back to regularly scheduled foruming

[edit on 5-9-2004 by Tripnastic]

[edit on 5-9-2004 by Tripnastic]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Tripnastic: First of all, interservice rivalry be darned, anyone who joins the military in any sense is a part of your family. Because someone chose to join the Marines doesn't make the sacrifice of any other service any less.

Apologies to Grady for one last thread hijack, now back to regularly scheduled foruming

I really don't consider this a thread hijack, but it is clear that you do not understand the Brotherhood of Marines and that, of course, is not your fault, if you have never earned titled of United States Marine.

In the Marine Corps Recruit Training (Boot Camp), the emphasis is less on training than on education and transformation. In the process, the recruit learns of the glorious history of the Corps, he masters marksmanship and drill, develops his physical fitness and learns the basics of hand-to-hand combat, which is to say that he learns the quickest and most effective ways to kill a human being with his hands, a rifle and bayonet, and a combat knife.

The process is really about becoming a member of a team. Everything the recruit does is done as a platoon. There is no liberty. No evenings spent at the canteen or the flicks. Everywhere the recruit goes, he marches in formation, even if it is just two recruits marching to sickbay. In time a recruit forgets how to say "I." Everything is "we." There is no Marine Corps of one. Infantry and MOS training come later. First, the recruit becomes a Marine, then he becomes a Rifleman, then he will learn whatever other MOS the Marine Corps has chosen for him. Every Marine is a Rifleman first. Everything else is secondary.

For a recruit, there is no greater nor prouder day than the day he receives his Eagle, Globe, and Anchor and is entitled to wear it by virtue of its having been earned. Anyone can buy a Marine Corps emblem and wear it everyday and many aspiring Marines and others, who just want to be identified with the finest fighting force on the planet, do just that, but that person cannot know what it means to have earned the title of United States Marine.

So while we speak of our brothers in the other branches of the service, it is not the same as the Brotherhood of Marines. In fact, nowhere is there anything like the Brotherhood of Marines. If you are not a Marine, you will never understand.

Oh, and complaining is universal. In the Corps, Officers and Staff NCOs are often heard to say, "A bitching Marine is a happy Marine."

A Brand New Marine Receiving his Eagle, Globe, and Anchor Upon Completing "The Crucible."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 04/9/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Please stay on topic. We are discussing the USMC role in the War on Terrorism. We took a sidetrack to encourage your interest in the Corps. You've got a long way to go. If you want to participate in the subject at hand please feel free. Otherwise, there are other forums where your criticisms will be welcome.
Thank you.

I'm sorry Grady, but you are the one who started it by making a whimsical comment like that, so I don't take responsibility for sidetracking (not like we sidetracked that much anyway) on this thread. So if you want to make those comments, do so at the appropriate forums.

But as you say, let's continue with the topic at hand: U.S.M.C.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo So if you want to make those comments, do so at the appropriate forums.

Your arrogance is extraordinary, monica. I don't recall your having been designated the arbiter of all that is good and proper. This is my thread and I will express myself as I see fit. So, if you don't mind, troll elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Your arrogance is extraordinary, monica. I don't recall your having been designated the arbiter of all that is good and proper. This is my thread and I will express myself as I see fit. So, if you don't mind, troll elsewhere.

Scary...

Hey, nobody said you can't express yourself the way you see fit.

But nobody said I couldn't either.

And BTW, I'm by no means trolling. Good try.

I'll post where I want and when I want. And I'm here to have good discussions, so do yourself a favor and don't ruin it for me and everyone else.

[edit on 5-9-2004 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
A discussion of the Marine Corps' role in the War on Terrorism could not be complete without the inclusion of Marine Aviation. I thought a good place to start would be a History of Marine Corps Aviation. This is a good site.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join