It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bug out Bag ideas and tips

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

How reliably though? Bullets that don't go boom when asked are no fun.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

over here during monsoon season its impossible to stay dry on the move. (at times all you see is water if hold hand in front of face.. even under triple canopy jungle get alot of rain come through not as much as out in the open)

charlie had no problem with bad ammo due to water his ak's and rockets still worked.. the old m14s worked better than the m16s at the time (design flaws on the early m16's alot of jamming on them) most munitions will function in the harshest conditions .. If knew how to link would try to find video was a guy who used to demo firing weapons in a swimming pool years ago trying to remember his name hadnt thought about it in years..

Basing on experience and observation .. Tho am a physician by trade spent enough time in warzones patching people up that picked up a working knowledge of weaponry...
edit on 19/11/11 by Expat888 because: minor edit

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
2 best recommendations in this order.
6 pairs of socks and alot of duct tape.
Tape for the obvious reasons.
And socks because your feet are more important than any part of your body if you are to "survive", plus socks are useful for more than just feet.

Also remember those socks are perfect to slip over stainless water bottles and other noise makers in the pack and then they take little if any room and go double duty.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

Good quality military surplus ammo will be brass cased and have an asphalt seal on the bullet and a coating of colored varnish over the primer or around its join to the case. Usually a coat of varnish at the bullet and case above the first seal. It made for rain and hiding under water for short periods of time.

Remington and the stuff from the stores can be sealed by hand with good quality fingernail polish.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Now that I do have! Thanks for the advice.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As for the whole BOB idea, I never saw much point in anything larger than a shoulder slung mail pouch with a few things to travel. Knife, pistol,fire, some silver and gold coins for trade etc.

I do however have an INCB or sometimes called an INCH bag. (I'm Never Coming Back or Home)

This bag has everything needed for me to make it between 5-10 years in the wilds. Full ultralight camp, 20 days of food and 10 years of water filtration, large groups of hunting trapping and fishing items, butchering tools, fire making tools, shower and sanitation, meds and med supplies....everything an extreme bushcrafter would need to make the ordeal very comfortable and pleasant.

Weigh in right now is #63 and that does not include sidearm, rifle or ammo. Combined with deep bury caches already in place in a couple regions it will be fine.

The whole BOB thing escapes me though....

(mouse is stuttering again....)
edit on 19-11-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As for the whole BOB idea, I never saw much point in anything larger than a shoulder slung mail pouch with a few things to travel. Knife, pistol,fire, some silver and gold coins for trade etc.

I do however have an INCB or sometimes called an INCH bag. (I'm Never Coming Back or Home)

This bag has everything needed for me to make it between 5-10 years in the wilds. Full ultralight camp, 20 days of food and 10 years of water filtration, large groups of hunting trapping and fishing items, butchering tools, fire making tools, shower and sanitation, meds and med supplies....everything an extreme bushcrafter would need to make the ordeal very comfortable and pleasant.

Weigh in right now is #63 and that does not include sidearm, rifle or ammo. Combined with deep bury caches already in place in a couple regions it will be fine.

The whole BOB thing escapes me though....

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Basically it boils down to a BOB is what you feel it takes to get you through a short term situation. That you have it already packed and it becomes a grab and go item. Most consideration is to whittle it down to the "Essential 10 Things" plus food and water. So you can either go with a general purpose BOB that should fit in something no larger than a standard pillowcase or you can try to tailor it for what might happen: Fire, Flood, Blizzard, Hurricane, Tornado...etc.

Here comes the rub. In most of those situations (except Fire and Tornado) you have plenty of notice to pack a bag to your needs and expectations. With a Tornado, 9 times out of 10, you are better off sheltering in place (the other time being outdoors either driving or outdoor activities: camping, hiking, playing/watching sports, etc).

INCH bags (I'm Never Coming Home) are for the long term which is something to not be taken lightly, hence you should have some time to pack to your needs.

Now a few will ask what the "Essential 10 Things" are. Well, that is really up to the individual to decide what are the things you need to get by in a situation. And for that you always consider (in no particular order) Fire, Food, Water, Shelter, Tools/Gear. Each of those 10 things will fall into those categories and most will cover several areas. A quality knife is always one of those 10 items. The means to sharpen that knife is usually another item.

My rule of thumb on the 10 Things is first off don't limit yourself to 10 things unless you want to do so but don't weight yourself down carrying the kitchen sink. Go for things that are difficult or too time/energy consuming to make on your own. 550 paracord for cordage is a good example. Yes cordage is easy to do but when you consider time versus weight, the 550 wins hands down. Items should have more than one function. A stocking cap will help keep you warm (shelter) but can also hold gathered nuts and berries (food). You can also place a large rock in it to use as a makeshift pillow or stuff it with cattail fluff and tie it closed if you rather have a soft pillow or just use unworn clothes.

A wool blanket costs more, weighs more but also has more uses and still retains its insulation value when wet. It can also serve as your pack itself. Hence item selection is always a consideration. If you can't afford "everything" that you want now. Gather what you can and upgrade over time. Nothing wrong with a $10 blanket that eventually becomes replace by a $50 wool blanket when that extra $40 goes towards a good knife.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I camp a lot and travel to Central and South America at least once a year and everything I need is on my back a large internal frame pack that I keep ready to go year round so most of these things I list I already carry.

In a BOB get yourself a lockpick set they are easy to find and fairly cheap you should practice at home before packing it away. A realy good solid knife has been the only thing I have ever needed to chop small wood I never needed a ax. Useing a piece of wood to hamer on the Knife will chop through about anything. Lightwieht sleeping bag and there are small tents that only way a couple pounds. Just think about going camping then actually go once with what you have put together. Take a note book with you aand jot down the things you wish you had.

A couple things to include in a INCH bag are vegtable seeds if you plan on ever stoping somewhere and they may become more valuebale than gold. I have a canister of thermite with magnesium strips, faster than a lock pick and will start a fire in the worst condition. Please research first. E tool that can double as a ax, rope saw, vitimens, a flashlight slash radio with a crank to charge it. They also sell a small roll out type of solar charger that is very light. Survival manual. A multi fuel camping stove would be recomended.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
These are the things you should probably have. I believe it's adapted from the Boy Scouts.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.backpacking.net...

If that doesn't help, there's a ton of information over on the Zombie Squad forum.

new.robotsquad.org...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

i live in toronto canada and come spring im out of here. i noticed alot of people taking backpacks and bikes or hiking. i have decided to travel simpler and faster (but only near water lol) so last summer i bought a kayak info (no breaking parts). i also notice people only packing for like 72 hours or so, i think im a 5 when it comes to supply and 6 for knowledge and 6 for mental preparedness. here is a list of my items.
hunting-
-pump bb gun info
-slingshot info
-knife
-sharpener
-snare wire
-pellets bearing extra bands

fishing-
-line 500ft 50p
-hooks x20
-weights x10
-bobbers x 5

building-
-axe inf o
-saw
-tarp x3
-utility knife
-foldable shovel info
-needles
-thread
-razor bladed
-para cord 200ft 500p
-zip ties

food/water
-bag of oatmeal
-pot set
-eating knife,spork
-bag to hold water
-water bottle filter set
-clean water tablets
-2 week dry food
-salt

fire-
-fire starter info
-cotton
-mirror
-magnafying glass

navagation-
-maps
-compass
-radios x2
-wind up light

safety-
-whistle
-light
-lifejacket
-first aid kit (full)
-surgical kit (fix cuts)

clothing-
-hat
-full head mask
-wet suit
-thermal long underware x4
-thermal long undershirt x4
-thermal long shirts x2
-thermal pants x2
-thermal sweather
-waterproof light shell jacket
-waterproof light shell pants
-waterproof gloves
-sleeping bag

storage-
-20l dry bag x6
-80l dry bag x3
-small electronic dry bag x4
-seethrough air tight square storage box x2

sanitation-
-razors
-soap
-clothes
-sponge
-towel
-mirror

and the sas survival guide pocket size info

ok sorry to make it so long but there is still alot i didnt put in. this is most of what i am taking, i am only worried about taking food for a bit cause the wild is full of things when i learn how to take advantage of it. i dont plan to survive in the wild as much as my mind set is to explore and understand what i NEED, not what i want, and how to get it. i dont plan to take anything that expires or will be throwen away when done. pump bb gun so no buying co2, water bottle with extra filter, lasts a long time, kayak has lots of room so no need to carry stuff and travels with good speed (no gas). well thats my basics and hope all goes well with your survival gear,trip,and attitude stay safe and be prepared my friends.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join