It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so, on a scale of 1 to 10, how prepared are you?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
1; basically not at all. the usual food in the fridge, a few cans in the cupboard, some camping gear and possibly a firearm and few rounds of ammo.
10; stashed away about anything you could possibly need. years worth of food, crates of ammo, generator and tools etc.......

i'd put myself at about a 5 or 6.
about a years worth of food for 3. a .308 and a .45 with about a 1000 rounds for each.
i also have a good bit of gear and tools.
also, my knowledge of basic survival and ability to live off the land might place me a bit higher than others.

so, the basic question being, if the shtf tomarrow, how prepared are you?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

I am at about an 8.
Thats all i will say.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
10 got everything that need. far from so-called 'civilisation' . let it all collapse wont be affected out here..
Walked away from all that long ago.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

at an 8, i'd assume everything from a gas mask to iodine, to extensive first aid kit and knowledge....etc....

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

98% of SHTF preparedness is how to think on your feet to achieve a favorable outcome.

That would be a 10 for me.

As far as "stuff" is concerned an 8.

I have plenty of water, food, guns/ammo, and gear. But none of that is worth squat if you don't know how to use it and apply it to a situation on the fly.

Think quick or die. Because no amount of guns and gear will keep you alive if you don't know what you're doing.
edit on 18-11-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Mentally? 10.
Realistically? 0.

I say that cause I wont be surprised when it happens, yet I have no real preparation for it. We have a small garden in our yard but not enough to be a main source. Shoot, it really only supplies us with occasional things. Between me and my father we have some basic home defense weapons. Pistol, Rifle, and a metal-pelet rifle. We could even use our spear guns if necessary. Our advantage is our geolocation, as our proximity to the ocean will help supply some food. We are excellent fishers and scuba dive as well. My father has learned to free dive (without air) up to 70 feet deep.

So i guess Im actually like a 3. ALthough im not sure my father expects whats coming.
edit on 18-11-2011 by derst1988 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Yupper.
Gasmask and all.
As crazy as it is...I am THAT ready.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

same as above considering gear and knowledge.
i'm way off the grid and in an area where there is no reason to worry 2 much, but that doesn't nessessarily mean i'm ready and not in need of more supplies.
i find it hard to believe anyone could really be a 10, but i guess it would come down to personal needs and wants.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Just remember folks, the best laid plans don't survive first contact with the enemy.

That's a military adage to live by that more than anything else applies to survival.
edit on 18-11-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

another consideration concerning myself is the amount i travel.
i keep a bugout bag and plenty of supplies in my rv, but if it all went down i may have trouble getting home to the majority of my supplies.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Keep a map and highlight the least traveled roads to your home. Luckily in Nevada there are many unknown and little traveled roads and several of them will get you where you need to go even if they go a bit out of the way.

I've gotten to know nearly all of them as I have driven and hiked all over this state. I recommend you do the same.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

nevada huh?
i'm here in new mexico, been romping the west for 25 years.
i tend to upset locals due to my knowledge of their areas.
i litterally spend near half my mileage on dirt.
most are clueless, i bet i could plot out a course from my place in the gila to yours
in bumfrock nevead and travel dirt 90% of the way.
might have to ditch the rv and take my int. scout instead.

hence the rubbertramp handle

edit on 18-11-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

out here live off what find in the jungle very well.. have my garden.. great fishing spot not far and at times make the day's hike down to the nearest hmong village. life out here goes on much like it has for centuries with little to no outside interference..

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I am 1 and I personally don't care. Humans need to face the facts. We are going to be extinct out of our own ignorance. How long do you think your going to last pumping your water into a little carbon filter? When your emergency rations run out and your ammo is dry...you'll be pretty screwed.

I think it is possible to survive but most people on this forum have the wrong approach. Guns won't make survival much easier. The ability to identify edible and poisonous plants will be the greatest resource.

We will have to go back to a paleo diet and it won't be easy adjusting. I have no resources prepared for any serious disaster. But I've thought it about how to behave.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm around a 6.

I'm not willing to run for the hills (too old)

Lots of food, water, tools.

But I'd really miss technology.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Realistically I'd say 4-maybe 5...IMO the most important thing is to be mentally ready. If/when TSHTF happens those who quickly accept that "life as we know it" is over will last the longest.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Indeed.

Just avoid southern Nevada.

It's like LA but with more lights and sand.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
About an 8 here. Live on top of mountain in very rural forested area. have livestock, gardens, stocked a lot of seeds and meds. Most important of all, I trust my neighbors and they trust me. Got each others' backs.

edit on 18-11-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Zero.

Natural Disasters of the highest magnitude will be hard to face. Any man-made thing will be dealt with. But if its Aliens, then lets put our money on our friends with Weapons. I will have a beer and watch the spectacle.

edit on 18-11-2011 by radkrish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Prepared as can be
To face eternity.
Ready to meet the Lord
with my heart in one accord.

10 on that.
But 0 for here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join