It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL MEMBERS READ:Increased Scrutiny for Aliens & UFO Forum

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'd also like to add.....I hope you are going to attempt to stamp out this annoying habit of "believers" labelling "sceptics" as "Government dis-info agents" and "paid shills" when presenting any sort of scientific or mundane evidence that explains some sightings.

Just a particular bug bear of mine

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It's called adapting...and is why ATS is and will remain the TOP conspiracy/alternate news site on the net. Yeah this site isn't perfect and without flaws but what isn't. And we all know everything is about money.

That being said I am proud to be a member here and moves like this reinforce my feelings towards the ATS brand.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I take it then 'name calling' along with accusation is now a perfunctory exercise, (should be in all threads) I really would be glad to see that. I do see problems though in how to define bluntness as being unmannerly, or how to exercise deferential treatment in certain areas.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
ALL MEMBERS READ: Increased Scrutiny for Aliens & UFO Forum

This is not due to members being lazy or not knowing how to make quality threads, it’s mostly because no member wants to put up with the rude naysayers. And once they’ve joined the fray, having to deal with the rude believers who counter the points made by the other side.

This is not to point the finger at skeptics only. A fair share of these posts can be attributed to believers who cannot take any other opinion than " I agree." This trend must also stop. If you are going to post a UFO video or topic, you can expect to be challenged by others with new ideas or differing opinions.

I beg to differ... the reason why threads here got lower quality isn't the attacks or rather they are not the direct reason for the poor quality.

It all comes from threads like 'A letter to alien' 'Earth is spaceship' and other completely ridiculous topics that unlike those USEFUL (absolutely) threads where documentation is gathered in 1 place, the former mentioned are trash and thus it is normal they will get trash in return...

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imtor

ALL MEMBERS READ: Increased Scrutiny for Aliens & UFO Forum

This is not due to members being lazy or not knowing how to make quality threads, it’s mostly because no member wants to put up with the rude naysayers. And once they’ve joined the fray, having to deal with the rude believers who counter the points made by the other side.

This is not to point the finger at skeptics only. A fair share of these posts can be attributed to believers who cannot take any other opinion than " I agree." This trend must also stop. If you are going to post a UFO video or topic, you can expect to be challenged by others with new ideas or differing opinions.

I beg to differ... the reason why threads here got lower quality isn't the attacks or rather they are not the direct reason for the poor quality.

It all comes from threads like 'A letter to alien' 'Earth is spaceship' and other completely ridiculous topics that unlike those USEFUL (absolutely) threads where documentation is gathered in 1 place, the former mentioned are trash and thus it is normal they will get trash in return...

Don't forget threads like Zarxx. They are amusing though.
It seems obvious when 'kids' and trolls try to get their 2 cents on here. not to put down youth, but this is not a pokeman website.
I do appreciate the manners exhibited on ATS and really appreciate the mods working so hard to keep an eye on things.
It's a pleasure to be part of a group acting maturely, wanting to debate, wanting to learn.
thank you new friends.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I'm glad to read this. It is a staple of our online culture to reduce ourselves to the lowest common denominator. I would hope that ATS members would keep above the YouTube level of commentary. Free thinkers with open minds and hearts should feel comfortable to say what's on their mind. Cheers, ATS!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

I'd also like to add.....I hope you are going to attempt to stamp out this annoying habit of "believers" labelling "sceptics" as "Government dis-info agents" and "paid shills" when presenting any sort of scientific or mundane evidence that explains some sightings.

Well said I am also the sceptic of sceptics I joined here because someone said I would see post and links to things that would make me change my mind re ufo's etc. (NOT YET FINGERS CROSSED)

Although I am a sceptic I would love to see ONE really stand out piece of video or a phtotograph to change my mind BUT a lot of the time its true believers on here posting links to some IDIOT on youtube that uses night vision near an airport or zooms in on a point of light which is out of focus and then claims a morphing ufo!

Or the standard zoom in on a google earth.moon or mars pic so you can see the pixels and claim the straight lines are buildings!

We are all big boys (and girls here) and to be honest I dont give a monkeys what someone says if I try to debunk their idea STICKS AND STONES as my mother and father taught me as long as its not threatning I dont care.

We all get our buttons pushed from time to time and as has been said we are all human (some on here may dispute that
) I will say one thing that we can all agree on most of us spend to much time on here

SO LONG LET THE DEBATING/DEBUNKING CONTINUE!
edit on 18-11-2011 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2011 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
One of the reasons I love this site is because its so cloesly moderated and EVERYONE gets an opinion even if its not one you like. I wasnt aware you could report abuse
Thanks for the info!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Thank you I hope people actually heed these warnings.

I joined this site mainly so I could be on the front lines if disclosure or any undeniable proof comes up. It would make my stay much more enjoyable if this forum wasn't so toxic and cut throat.

I know there are awesome people posting here everyday but there are some that are just full of themselves and negative for the sake of it.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Thank you MODS. It is good to see ya'll are trying to crackdown on people acting like animals. Please let this bleed over to some of the other forums as well. thanks agian

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is an important reminder for young and old alike. I also feel the time has come to make things clear again. One more point is that the u2u function is not to be used for behind the scenes attacks either...

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

I agree with this. I'd also like to see an end to the constant race to be the first to make the "Swamp gas/Chinese Lanterns/Weather Balloon" joke in every UFO video thread. It's not funny, it's not clever, it's old, it's spam and the people doing it are not serious. It's just the equivalent of people who post "First!" in threads.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

But.. but Phage... come on now... all those endless opportunities to get oodles of stars for telling them its a balloon or a contrail? You seriously want to give that up?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Awesome.

This is exactly, why, I have pretty much stopped posting. I want to have though provoking discussions, not the kind of I have seen lately- in most other threads.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
So IWantToBelieve9999 writes a post that the moon is upside down.

It gets explained. Rather obviously, the moon did not turn upside down-- it really should not need explaining. There are those, however, who write, "Yeah! I read about that!"

A few days later, NASAlies9999 writes that the moon is upside down.

I think, "Okay, maybe these are fourteen year olds who are looking up at the sky for the first time, but haven't put it all together yet."

And when I go to respond and teach, I see the same users who were encouraging the fallacy doing it again to the new post.

That brands me as a "dubunker?" What about those who intentionally support ignorance?

And while I use the "upside down moon" as an less controversial example, the fact is (and I do mean "FACT") that many of the conspiracy theories are suitable only for the imaginations of children without adequate reasoning skills to defend their own thoughts-- and I find that cruel.

And I do mean "CRUEL."

I never start a "flame war." -- but I sure have been flamed by Moon Hoaxers often enough to declare, "Turn me over, because I am done on that side."

I mean, if the policy is that "Ignorance is bliss," and moreover, ignorance is good for site statistics, then so be it-- and I do believe the one sided approach implicit in the way the "we are getting tough against debunkers" is stated, sounds just like it.

So say it straight so I am sure I am hearing what I think I am hearing.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

reply to post by xvagrantx

And this kind of behaviour attributes greatly to them signing up, posting a single thread and then never logging in again.

Not cool, and will not be put up with any longer.

I think it's great that you will no longer tolerate this behavior -- however, I find your choice of wording hard to digest. What you are saying that if people *do* log back in only to find themselves engaged in a 10-page argument -- that is acceptable and will be "put up with". Well of course it will, it creates page views, which create ad impressions. Why would ATS tolerate this behavior under *any* circumstances, in *any* forum?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Sadly I do not remember what brought me to ATS, I will just say I was fortunate. Unfortunately I had to stay away for a few years because the info here was a tad overwhelming and I do grow tired of seeing a thread full of arguing. The saying "If you do not have anything positive to say then do not say anything at all" should apply on ATS. I can take criticism but yeah some are just rude and outright stinkholes. If you do not believe in Aliens or UFOs then why hang out here constantly, like alot of you do. Anyways, thanks OP, I needed to see this and hope everyone understands the point of your thread. BTW, been seeing a few strange lights in the sky at night and military choppers during the day here in Eastern NC, maybe someone knows something and can give info in another thread. Peace.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
reply to post by Phage

But.. but Phage... come on now... all those endless opportunities to get oodles of stars for telling them its a balloon or a contrail? You seriously want to give that up?

I prefer new ground.
I also prefer that I not be the topic of discussion.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

This includes insults, condescending remarks, ridicule, the infamous “ This has been posted a million times, use the search feature” complaints.

While insults, condescending remarks, and ridicule seem to occur with equal frequency from both "sides" of the fence (The infamous snappy comment in regard to skeptics, "Don't worry, it's only Venus reflecting off swamp gas..."), I hope this doesn't mean that it is unacceptable to point out that a given topic has been repeatedly discussed. I hope this doesn't mean that such a topic must be rehashed in a new thread. I hope this doesn't mean it becomes necessary to repeat the research already done (on both "sides'). I hope this doesn't mean it becomes necessary to repeat the same arguments (for and against) simply because new members don't want to review the ground already covered.

edit on 11/18/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

That is exactly what it does mean, period. People should be allowed to post without condescending remarks....
edit on 18-11-2011 by mandella1099 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mandella1099

That is exactly what it means, period.

Apparently you are in error.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

To answer your edit. My concern was about rehashing old ground.
edit on 11/18/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join