It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The start of the end of the Elite

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
So after two months of OWS protests, thousands of posts about the elite and TPTB, I have come up with an idea that would start the change and bring the power back to us, literally.

A non-profit needs to be started that places solar power on homes. If we were able to free ourselves from the grid, imagine the money that would be available to the average household. Add to that the amount of revenue the power companies would lose, and the revenue the government would lose and you have the perfect catalyst to effect change. No longer would we be held prisoner, depending on someone else to provide a basic necessity. No longer will we have to use FEMA shelters when storms take out the grid. This would be a huge first step in a self sustaining society.

It's not perfect, but it is a start. People and groups donate to allow these systems to be installed. As more and more are installed, the costs go down. The average system lasts 25 years. How much money is that for you and your family? The average monthly electric bill is $95.66. So in a year that is $1147.92. So in 25 years, before you would have to start replacing components, you will have saved $28,698.00. For some people that is their annual salary! For others in higher rate and/or total electric communities that savings could be as much as triple that amount.

Thoughts?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I don't see how this can stop the Elite , they will just sell solar panel more costly .

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

I agree, until the gov. comes and shuts it down ( just like the non profit dispensaries) in cali

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by warstorm9

That may be, but at some point you have saturation and then what?
When you start taking homes off the grid, you affect way more than just the power company. you affect Wall Street. As revenue slips, their stocks fall in value, the elite start a sell off. It's a domino effect.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

I had the same idea only I think the government should do it.They waste so much on nothing.There are so many simple ideas.If every home owner was given grants to install solar it would also make environmentalists happy more than carbon trading you would think.It would also help the economy because the consumer would have more disposable income.It would be so easy for governments to free us with todays technology.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This is the kind of thinking we all need to be doing. Whether it works or not isn't the point. The point is to think outside the box they want to keep us in, and then put some legs to it. S&F OP.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I put solar panels up two years ago and a wind turbine they payed themselves offin 14 months. Not only that I took a 6 month trip to Central America left everything off but let the power surge back into the grid so when I came home the electric company owed me over a 1000 dollars. They have to pay you the same rate they charge I am going to put up another turbine with that money and keep adding on untill I have a steady check comeing in from them.

Its good for the enviroment and it sticks it to them.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

You have to keep in mind also that if you were completely self sufficient with power, you would be able to go total electric and further reduce the need for fossil fuels. So in addition to the electric conglomerates, you also affect the oil barons.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

So what kind of setup do you have, and what was your cost? I have been researching it and not finding what I think is a good solution. I think the wind/solar combo is the way to go.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have actually been looking into this. Even gone as far as contacting the power company about putting excess power back into the grid. They will, but I cannot say that I care much for their deal on how they buy the excess from me. So, I would discuss this with my neighbors and if they agreed we would work out a way to pipe my excess over to them for a nominal fee. I am currently in search mode for solar panels that are broken or otherwise where I can start piece parting an array together. If I can scavenge the panels, I can rather cheaply put together an array if I can find enough. The problem with solar that I do not care much for is how to store it. I do not like the idea of having 20 marine batteries storing power.

I think this is a case in point for one government program that could be of benefit to the entire US if the government could come up with a plan that would help people put panels on their homes to at least start relieve some burden from the grid. It would not have to be a system where the homes would have to be completely off the grid but enough that people would have some relief on their wallets. I could support some sort of subsidizing to enable some type of renewable energy.

If anyone knows of where I could find a source for broken or damaged panels feel free to let me know where. I have one source but the supply is not all that great.
edit on 18-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I have read some articles on how to make your own panels using parts off of ebay.

Solar Cells

This purchase would enable you to build a 1kw system for just over $300. If I can get the cash together I will be doing something like this. Add in a charge controller, a grid tie inverter and BAM! You are good to go! 1kw would do my house with ease!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
reply to post by Klassified

You have to keep in mind also that if you were completely self sufficient with power, you would be able to go total electric and further reduce the need for fossil fuels. So in addition to the electric conglomerates, you also affect the oil barons.

For some geographic areas, electric heat is not really all that great. In my area heat pumps only work efficiently to a point. I have a dual system, my heat pump works well down to about 30 degrees after that it falls off and does not produce much heat. Below 30 degrees the heat pump shuts down and the system switches over to the gas furnace. To certain points I want to continue using natural gas for this reason, but moderation is the key.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Dont know how it works in the states or elsewhere but in the UK, you cant just do that. You have to sell your Solar Energy to the Power Companies then buy it back. You get subsidised here (think its like 50%) or something.

I'd live just to use my own power but your not allowed in the UK.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

In the states, you can produce your own. If you are grid tied, they have to buy your excess power. In most cases, your non-producing consumption is offset by your production. The key is to produce more than you use. Ideally, being completely off-grid is the way to go. Have a nice battery bank for cloudy days and at night.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

reply to post by Skewed

I have read some articles on how to make your own panels using parts off of ebay.

Solar Cells

This purchase would enable you to build a 1kw system for just over $300. If I can get the cash together I will be doing something like this. Add in a charge controller, a grid tie inverter and BAM! You are good to go! 1kw would do my house with ease!

Thanks, I have seen those and have my eye on them and I will probably have to go that route as it is a slow process collecting these panels. I would like to exhaust all the free possibilities first. I usually go check out the state recycling center and sometimes get a couple. The ones I get are damaged and usually come from those mobile message signs we see on the side of the road.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Damn! Never thought of that!
I need to find one near me in PA. That would be a really cheap way to go. Even if the panels were damaged, buying some of the cells from ebay would be a great way to repair them.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Then they would tax the sun. Because they are sun worshippers. However I've had a dream of this very thing happening. I was working on peoples homes as an installer. So you may be on to something here.

SnF

edit on 18-11-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
I put solar panels up two years ago and a wind turbine they payed themselves offin 14 months. Not only that I took a 6 month trip to Central America left everything off but let the power surge back into the grid so when I came home the electric company owed me over a 1000 dollars. They have to pay you the same rate they charge I am going to put up another turbine with that money and keep adding on untill I have a steady check comeing in from them.

Its good for the enviroment and it sticks it to them.

That's amazing.
Where do I sign up?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

I take them apart, remove the damaged parts and rebuild them. Sometimes it takes 4 damaged panels to make 1 good one but hey, they are free.

I started by checking with the police and Department of Transportation maintenance facilities. They are the ones that pointed me in the right direction to the recycling facility. I just wish they would let me stop by the maintenance facility and get them but they are required to send them to recycling center, must have bureaucracy at all levels I suppose.
edit on 18-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

So after two months of OWS protests, thousands of posts about the elite and TPTB, I have come up with an idea that would start the change and bring the power back to us, literally.

A non-profit needs to be started that places solar power on homes. If we were able to free ourselves from the grid, imagine the money that would be available to the average household. Add to that the amount of revenue the power companies would lose, and the revenue the government would lose and you have the perfect catalyst to effect change. No longer would we be held prisoner, depending on someone else to provide a basic necessity. No longer will we have to use FEMA shelters when storms take out the grid. This would be a huge first step in a self sustaining society.

It's not perfect, but it is a start. People and groups donate to allow these systems to be installed. As more and more are installed, the costs go down. The average system lasts 25 years. How much money is that for you and your family? The average monthly electric bill is $95.66. So in a year that is $1147.92. So in 25 years, before you would have to start replacing components, you will have saved $28,698.00. For some people that is their annual salary! For others in higher rate and/or total electric communities that savings could be as much as triple that amount.

Thoughts?

This is EXACTLY the problem that OWS has, it has become an open forum that anyone can tack on their own social agenda to. Solar pannels to stop the elite? I don't think so, too many people are caught up in this idea that "profit" is bad, So tell me, why is it wrong for the makers of non-alternative energy to make money but okay for the makers of solar panels to make money?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join