It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is economy best birth control? US births dip again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
lookiehere

ATLANTA (AP) — The economy may well be the best form of birth control.

U.S. births dropped for the third straight year — especially for young mothers — and experts think money worries are the reason.

A federal report released Thursday showed declines in the birth rate for all races and most age groups. Teens and women in their early 20s had the most dramatic dip, to the lowest rates since record-keeping began in the 1940s. Also, the rate of cesarean sections stopped going up for the first time since 1996.

Experts suspected the economy drove down birth rates in 2008 and 2009 as women put off having children. With the 2010 figures, suspicion has turned into certainty.

"I don't think there's any doubt now that it was the recession. It could not be anything else," said Carl Haub, a demographer with the Population Reference Bureau, a Washington, D.C.-based research organization. He was not involved in the new report.

U.S. births hit an all-time high in 2007, at more than 4.3 million. Over the next two years, the number dropped to about 4.2 million and then about 4.1 million.

Last year, it was down to just over 4 million, according to the new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For teens, birth rates dropped 9 percent from 2009. For women in their early 20s, they fell 6 percent. For unmarried mothers, the drop was 4 percent.

well damn...looks like the NWO has figured out population control: make the economy suck! (joking???)

it makes sense that people don't wanna get pregnant when they can't feed themselves. if only everyone understood that...our welfare/food stamp system wouldn't be such a leech.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Well that is certainly good news!

I thought it was chemicals and prescription medications leaching into the groundwater and causing sterility in males and infants.

Thought sex was considered "the poor mans stage" and in down economies births actually increase.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
If you cant find work youre supposed to have more babies and avoid marriage to get the maximum government benefits.

I'm having a hard time believing so many people would actually think through and plan a pregnancy. Goes against everything I thought I knew about human stupidity.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Well... I think that for the US it also goes something like this (got this from a social worker friend)... welfare benefits can only last on average for 2-3 years, lifetime. While many may have started a family this way, benefits only last so long, & in the US having a child is rather expensive- no national health, you know. While in the 60's it wasn't uncommon to see 5 generations of a family on welfare, President Clinton put an end to all of that in the 90's. On top of that, many welfare agencies have cut back tremendously due to unemployment- if enough people aren't working & paying taxes, there isn't enough money to give to the needy in the first place. So, being pregnant won't always get someone benefits as it did in the past. It becomes cheaper to have an abortion, which is not necessarily someone's first choice.

Compare this to the 3rd world, where children are the only wealth a person has. The more children, the more people there are to work to support the family, eventually. The larger the family, the greater the likelihood that everyone will survive- especially in rural areas. We live in such a world as this, today.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Well that is certainly good news!

I thought it was chemicals and prescription medications leaching into the groundwater and causing sterility in males and infants.

Thought sex was considered "the poor mans stage" and in down economies births actually increase.

And who suffers the greatest opportunity cost in having children, the middle class, that is who. The super rich hire nannies and the poor can at least get more feed stamps. So the people who pay the taxes are the ones being weeded out.

top topics

join