It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maya exhibit busts myths amid tour of ancient world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
CBC
Yes that right the Mayan exhibit is coming to Torontos ROM,The Royal Ontario Museum inculding a government sponsored brainwashing myth exhibit

Though many people have a basic grasp of who the Maya are, most don’t really understand the ancient Mesoamerican civilization, according to Justin Jennings, the lead ROM curator behind the multi-institution exhibit.

Myth-busting

but there [are still] a lot of preconceptions,” he told CBC News.

until the 1950s, even contemporary Maya believed that their ancestors were a peaceful society. “We now know that they were as warlike as most societies around the world.

We can read about what they talked about in the glyphs, we see murals from places like Bonampak that show big battles occurred. That’s one of the big myths we bust in the exhibit,” Jennings said.

“Another big myth, of course, is the 2012 myth: that the Maya were saying on Dec. 21, 2012 the world’s going to explode, the world’s going to end. The Maya didn’t think that way.”

Really now Justin Jennings the mayans didnt think that way? and whats his answer

“2012 is the end of one of the cycles of time in the Maya world,” Jennings explained.

“What they thought would happen on Dec. 23 actually — a couple of days after the 21st — [is that] the next cycle would happen. It would have been a big deal. It would have been a big party, probably. But it wouldn’t have been the end of the world.”

If thats the best Jennings got, then thats no myth busting at all, the mayans do and did see something that would come in around 2012, the mayans have been discussed alot with different viewpoints

So where are they going to host the myth busting section at the ROM?

The ROM show addresses the “end of world” controversy in an area devoted to Maya writing and timekeeping, one of the show’s seven sections (other topics include cosmology and ritual, city living, life in the palace and the civilization’s collapse and survival). A large-scale projection on one wall shows a countdown clock displaying the Maya long-count calendar.

So it seems the paid government experts dont even know what the calendar says, since Curators should also have the answers right?

Reminds me of my greece trip back in 2008 when i asked the traveling gudie if the greeks did build those and these great buildings and huge temples whatever happend to there tools and where are there tools now?

And you know how she replied? she said she doesnt know where the tools are now

So much for these experts let travel gudies or Curators, they either know but wont say it in public.
edit on 18-11-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

i really don't care what agenda the ROM has,but i'm definately taking my kids to this exibit. i have my own opinion on this culture,and it facinates me.i seen the egypt exibit here and it was great! unfortunately i cant get to mexico,or south america but its nice they can bring some of it to me!
the ROM is a well respected museum world wide.they received the 'burial' box of james,brother of jesus.the repaired it because it got damaged in transit. then they dicovered it was a fake!
they also displayed the terra cotta wariors fron china,but unfortunately i couldn't get to see that.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Reminds me of my greece trip back in 2008 when i asked the traveling gudie if the greeks did build those and these great buildings and huge temples whatever happend to there tools and where are there tools now?

And you know how she replied? she said she doesnt know where the tools are now

You actually expected a tour guide to be a multi-era trained archaeologists and to know where a specific collection was? LOL

The largest collections of Ancient Greek tools can be found in the collections of the British Museum, Abgusssammlung des Instituts für Klassische Archäologie, Archäologische Sammlung, Athens Museum and the Ure Museum of Greek Archaeology and about fourty others.

As for the Maya - so you believe their calendar has predictive powers? Okay you seem to believe a cycle will end next year - what happened the last time a Mayan Calendar cycle ended?

The decision on the ossurary of James is still in dispute

edit on 18/11/11 by Hanslune because: added comment

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

the mayans do and did see something that would come in around 2012

Could you provide more information regarding your statement here.

What is your interpretation of what the Mayans "do and did see", and what is that "something" that would happen? Links to back up your statement would also be helpful.

I hope the exhibit comes to my area! That would be awesome.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

What is your interpretation of what the Mayans "do and did see", and what is that "something" that would happen? Links to back up your statement would also be helpful.

The calendar has been discussed here before countless look it yourself by using the search.

The Mayan Calendar
Heres a video for a start.
edit on 18-11-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

The calendar has been discussed here before countless look it yourself by using the search.

Backing out of your claim, I see.

The Mayan calendar may have been discussed here many times, but the vast majority of those discussions were between ignorant posters.

The Maya left no prophesy about the end of their long count. And, in fact, exactly as the quote in the OP said, to them it wasn't an end, it was a restarting of a new cycle.

Exactly like January 1 is in our calendar.

Do you hide under the bed every New Year's Eve?

Harte

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The Mayans did not have any prophecies associated with the end of the long count.

The long count is a linear calendar that assigns a unique day for each day ever. It is not a cyclic calendar. As Harte has pointed out it marks when a baktun completes and another begins.

Presenting such information is what debunks the claims of new age hoaxers and others that profit from false statements made about the Mayans and their calendar.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Backing out of your claim, I see.

The Mayan calendar may have been discussed here many times, but the vast majority of those discussions were between ignorant posters.

The Maya left no prophesy about the end of their long count. And, in fact, exactly as the quote in the OP said, to them it wasn't an end, it was a restarting of a new cycle.

Exactly like January 1 is in our calendar.

Harte

I am not backing out

Was that an insult if i may add? If so then dont even start on asking such questions.
edit on 19-11-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
The Mayans did not have any prophecies associated with the end of the long count.

The long count is a linear calendar that assigns a unique day for each day ever. It is not a cyclic calendar. As Harte has pointed out it marks when a baktun completes and another begins.

Presenting such information is what debunks the claims of new age hoaxers and others that profit from false statements made about the Mayans and their calendar.

To this day you debunkers havent presented a case with your cliams that new age believers or whatever you want to call them are making these cliams as for profits.

I guess in your viewpoint making books now should be illegal?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

To this day you debunkers havent presented a case with your cliams that new age believers or whatever you want to call them are making these cliams as for profits.

I guess in your viewpoint making books now should be illegal?

I don't think legality came into play. What he stated was when someone has a vested interest in selling an idea in book form that idea should be taken with a grain of salt without corroborating evidence. If you think every time someone wants to sell something you need to take it at face value I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would love to sell you.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

They are not believers. They are hoaxers.

You have people giving lectures and writing books and making a living off of it. That pretty much means they are profiteering.

That was simple.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I'll comment again, if you believe that the Mayan's predicted the end of the world - explain please what happened that last time the calendar reached this point- which it did around 3114 BC - and just for the gusto what happened the time before that?

As far as I can tell the world didn't end - or did it? lol

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
If they Mayans were smart enough to see the end of the world in 2012, I think they would have saw the Spanish coming too

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by A-Dub
If they Mayans were smart enough to see the end of the world in 2012, I think they would have saw the Spanish coming too

Or their culture collapse centuries before the Spaniards showed up

new topics

top topics

join