It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia’s military chief warns that heightened risks of conflict near borders may turn nuclear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

By Associated Press, Published: November 17 MOSCOW — Russia is facing a heightened risk of being drawn into conflicts at its borders that have the potential of turning nuclear, the nation’s top military officer said Thursday. Gen. Nikolai Makarov, chief of the General Staff of the Russian armed forces, cautioned over NATO’s expansion eastward and warned that the risks for Russia to be pulled into local conflicts have “risen sharply.” Makarov added, according to Russian news agencies, that “under certain conditions local and regional conflicts may develop into a full-scale war involving nuclear weapons.” A steady decline in Russia’s conventional forces has prompted the Kremlin to rely increasingly on its nuclear deterrent. The nation’s military doctrine says it may use nuclear weapons to counter a nuclear attack on Russia or an ally, or a large-scale conventional attack that threatens Russia’s existence. Russia sees NATO’s expansion to include former Soviet republics and ex-members of the Soviet bloc in eastern and central Europe as a key threat to Russia’s security.

Russia’s military chief warns that heightened risks of conflict near borders may turn nuclear washingtonpost.com

it's really gonna get nasty quick it's time to get right with GOD
I pray come quickly Jesus we need peace in this world

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I realize that nukes have their place in military strategy but they are relatively useless against such foes as the Taliban or Chechens that infiltrate societies and conduct terrorist actions. Not to say that the Chechens don't deserve their freedom but I certainly don't agree that the Taliban should be back in power. The Taliban don't have the support of most of the Afghani population and like Al Qaeda, use people from many countries in their operations. The Chechens want their independence from Russia. Dispersed villages and nukes? Eh. Nukes are terror weapons on their own. Neutron bombs make more sense. Kill people without destroying property, to some extent, depending on lingering radiation. Nukes and Guerilla warfare are apples and oranges. Who is Russia worried about? Nato has no desire to attack them and I can't see anyone else wanting to either, though the Chinese and Russians have been semi-cooperative foes forever, and China Does have infrastructure and a very large army.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Russia is just rattling its sabre, that is all. I won't believe a word of it until some top politicians actually come out and start talking that way. The only thing scary about this story is that it proves Russia has at least one crazy military general who is just itching for a nuclear war.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I would actually say that although this is probably some sabre rattling, it is entirely plausible and possible. The success of the START treaties and reduction of nuclear stockpiles have mainly been in the field of large and medium scale nuclear weapons - city killers. Short range nuclear tactical weapons (used for things like attacking armoured divisions or infantry battalions) have actually been improved whilst START has been ongoing.

In other words, TPTB in their wisdom have decided that:

big nukes = bad
little nukes = good

In my mind, all nukes are

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
I would actually say that although this is probably some sabre rattling, it is entirely plausible and possible. The success of the START treaties and reduction of nuclear stockpiles have mainly been in the field of large and medium scale nuclear weapons - city killers. Short range nuclear tactical weapons (used for things like attacking armoured divisions or infantry battalions) have actually been improved whilst START has been ongoing.

In other words, TPTB in their wisdom have decided that:

big nukes = bad
little nukes = good

In my mind, all nukes are

YES. I agree. Anyone who uses nukes should be declared a terrorist state and their leaders arrested and put on trial for genocide and crimes against humanity. I dont care if that means the USA, UK, France or any other countries. Nukes are the weapons of barbarians and monsters.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The future is looking dimmer...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I totally agree with you
these kind of articles are showing up all over , so I try and post what I find and show people it's really getting bad out there

top topics

join