It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youth unemployment crisis warning: "Lost generation" blighted by debt, depression & self-loathing

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

Illuminatislave wrote "Upward mobility is dead and has been for years. "

I agree and disagree. One of the problems is education, and language. Parents sometimes don't push their children to get a good education. That is sad and a sure recipe for the downfall of that child's job success in the future.

Likewise lots of people become slovenly in language and in their personal care. If a person comes to me and speaks proper English, they are more likely to be hired than the one who babbles almost incoherently. Additionally if the candidate is not clean, and well kept, then they are not likely to get the attention an applicant deserves.

Then when the boss takes a chance and hires the individual, they soon find that person has little or no work ethic. Well you are not going to be paid to hang around jabbering with someone, or texting. or drinking coffee. Productivity is imperative. Look at the success of China. People are poor but realize they either work or starve. They don't have the welfare/food stamp cushion, or their parents basement bedroom.

Perhaps all is lost, at least in the USA. We have been sucking on the public tit for too long.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmArTbEaTz

Originally posted by hoonsince89
All these problems would be solved if zero point energy was released!!!! argggghhhhh society does my head in!

That wouldn't solve all the issues... Only 10%, maybe... Look Libya had plenty given to them and look what happened. They didn't have to worry about energy and they folded. No thanks to TPTB and neo-nazis... Either way I agree civilization has failed. There are too many temptations for corruption and not enough regulations. The problem is we had the bankers write the regulations so they knew what loopholes were there to take advantage of.

This is what happens when crooks run things... The USA is nothing more than a Mob strong-holding people to do their wishes.

"Hey Scotty, have you fixed that damn teleportor yet?"

Ok i admit i jumped the gun abit saying 'All problems would be solved" but it would make our lives alot easier. Other than having somewhere to live most of our expenses are on energy, so if energy was free 50% of our problems would be elevated thus relieving the crunch of un-employment...

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If the US keeps outsourcing its jobs to other lands it will need to make some changes. It may have to shorten its workday and workweek and may have to routinely start providing basic sustenance and shelter to ALL its citizens, then let those who wish to work enjoy the fruit of their labor and have more luxuries than those who wish not to. Availability of good-paying work is waning and even good pay is often not enough, so it seems it has been the country's decision to let this happen and the nation will need to be responsible for its people's care and feeding.

America can afford to do this, though there may have to be some re-distribution of wealth to accomodate it, just a bit more equality in pay between the to and lower rungs but since that is the corporate decision to outsource it is their decision to also take a cut. The US could afford to take care of its people by not wasting its resources on aggressions around the world nor pointless enforcement and prosecution of tyrannical laws.

We have better ways to spend the money and it seems the decision has been made to reverse our industrializational trends and be a consumer nation. This means it will have to provide its nationals with their basics and have a leisure class, otherwise those who have been forced to struggle and starve will become a criminal class by necessity. When they all become prisoners they will have their leisure, though perhaps not by choice. If that portion of society is to be provided for in that way perhaps it is better to give them the essentials and not deprive them of their liberty, and we can give that to everyone. Those who want more will have the incentive to work for it.

Does this sound like a "socialized" system? Yes, and so is prison life. America has choices to make, take care of its people or reinvigorate its domestic production once again. The status quo will not maintain without major re-adjustments.

The other choice is to let America fail completely and entirely. After a time it can become the new labor force of the world, cheaper labor than China can provide. Our New American sweatshops will be the envy of the world as the currently developing nations continue to see their middle-class grow and become the new consumers. New America will then provide for the world's useless trinkets. Or is there a better future for it?

edit on 20-11-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I'm from the North West UK and here the job front is picking up a bit now, what with the creation of new factory businesses that require a large workforce. Yet the vast majority of factory workers here are Polish migrants, even the information boards and signs in the factory where i work have been written in polish. There are still however job centres here full of english people either school/college leavers. other people who have had previous all now looking for work.

I've nothing against EU migrant workers they do work hard and put in alot of overtime when asked, but when i approached our Human Resources dept and asked why we have so many polish workers they said 'because we can't get english applicants when there are vacancies available'. Is it they want only the best cushty jobs with the highest rates of pay to suit their university degrees?

Granted factory work is not skilled work but there is room for progression. We operate a skill level system from 1 to 5 each with it's own rate of pay, 5 being the highest. You work at your own pace and get trained up to the next level based on your abilities.I don't think it's a bad job, it's relaxed with no stress, everyone gets on well with each other and such.

The UK was once a great manufacturing nation with apprentiships being offered by all the big companies when you left school. Ok those days are gone and i'm all for education but i don't think there are the jobs here available for cushty professional positions offering attractive salaries and requiring college and university qualifications. That is one reason we have such high unemployment here,

If the UK's manufacturing industry is to get back on track which it is doing here slowly, it will require a large workforce and therefore work ethics need to change otherwise we will continue to see foreign migrants continuing to take all these jobs leaving british workers unemployed.
edit on 21-11-2011 by FLaKK because: spelling mistake

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I have a shaky work history due to my own faults, drinking too much! But I went through rehab on my own and now i am looking for work again. I don't care if i wash dishes as long as i"m working and getting some money. Not being able to find a job is depressing but i still go out there and try.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I think your assertion about the doubling of minimum wage is misleading, and am posting to offer some visual/textual aids as to the minimum wage rate (federal) over the years:

$5.85 July 24, 2007
$7.25 July 24, 2009
www.dol.gov...

Effective Date &Hourly Wage from Laborlawcenter.com
10/24/1938
$0.25
10/24/1939
$0.30
10/24/1945
$0.40
01/25/1950
$0.75
03/01/1956
$1.00
09/03/1961
$1.15
09/03/1963
$1.25
02/01/1967
$1.40
02/01/1968
$1.60
05/01/1974
$2.00
01/01/1975
$2.10
01/01/1976
$2.30
01/01/1978
$2.65
01/01/1979
$2.90
01/01/1980
$3.10
01/01/1981
$3.35
04/01/1990
$3.80
04/01/1991
$4.25
10/01/1996
$4.75
09/01/1997
$5.15
07/24/2007
$5.85
07/24/2008
$6.55
07/24/2009
$7.25

Minimum Wages by State

The current minimum wage (federal) is $7.25, if I'm not mistaken. Hardly doubling since 2007.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kkrattiger

Again,it was a blogger who said this,not"my" personal assumption.

Sorry.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join