It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: We Have Failed!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

It seems to me that pointing fingers is a complete waste of time. Rather we should be seeking a solution.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
There's a vast majority of people that are the "scum" of Earth, these days. The problem? There's also a large amount of people who are still out there to help others. The biggest problem is the wide range of views. In other words, everyone has their own justice. For example: I hate lying. I find it hard to bend the truth of something I don't know if it will be true or not. When I was dating my ex, her grandma was in the hospital. I couldn't support her. All I could do was tell her that I was here for her. Telling her that everything would be okay was the worst thing I could do in my book because it wasn't how I felt. I felt as if I brought up her hope, and then let her down, it was the biggest shut down I could do.

Long story, short? Well, everyone has their own justice, it's a matter of the people being able to work their justices with each other for a common goal. If there are 5 different parties with a common enemy, tackling that enemy as one is much easier. That's just how things are but because of today's society, trust is at a lack. People who cheat, betray, backstab, spread rumors, whatever you want, they're all over the place. Psychology says you only hold 2-3 people as friends that will actually be good friends.

Anyways, being a person who likes to help others, I'm eventually going to try helping others much more and hopefully I can expand to a charity and even more. I'm hoping that I can show that I can help a portion of the world even as a single person.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

After 16 years of service to the same company.

16 "exceeds expectations" reviews

And having a accuracy rate (yes they calculated and added in every single error we committed) my accuracy rate for a very stressful job (claim and financial data reports) was 98%

At 58 years of age my job was outsourced to someone in India.

After being unemployed for a year my benefits ran out.

I still almost nightly have nigh mares about the people and boss I worked with.

And while the government rules say there is no such thing as age discrimination - there is believe me.

Also, after working in offices 20+ years, at this point, rather than put up with the Snakes In Suits (good book, you should read it by Paul Babiak and Robert D. Hare), I think I would honestly rather starve and freeze to death.

I'm lucky I have a husband that still works (he is 67 and will now have to work until he drops dead).

The current system SUCKS and it's time for some real change.

My husband and our two friends also went to OWS and all three of them have at least one college degree and make some good money.............I'm the only one with two years of community college and unemployed (retired).

Any more questions.

BTW: We are considered middle class.

And work two nights a month at a homeless shelter. FYI: It's not just drug addicts, winos and the mentally challenged that line up................we're now seeing people homeless that last year had a job, a car, a house or apartment and were considered middle class. Whole families.

Once this corruption begins to affect you and or your loved ones, you will than wake up - by than it may be too late if it isn't already.

edit on 18-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jaymp

I totally disagree with the OP. This is just the start of the moment. Long way to go yet.

The civil rights movement of the 50s didn't gain any real legal traction until the mid 60s. These battles are never won quickly; important things rarely come easily, and the elite never willingly give away power.

So I will post something more uplifting:

How the occupy movement has won the right to imagine a world without war or injustice
by
Arunduti Roy

www.guardian.co.uk...

"What you have achieved since 17 September, when the Occupy movement began in the United States, is to introduce a new imagination, a new political language into the heart of empire. You have reintroduced the right to dream into a system that tried to turn everybody into zombies mesmerised into equating mindless consumerism with happiness and fulfilment."

"The good news is that people have had enough and are not going to take it any more. The Occupy movement has joined thousands of other resistance movements all over the world in which the poorest of people are standing up and stopping the richest corporations in their tracks. Few of us dreamed that we would see you, the people of the United States on our side, trying to do this in the heart of Empire. I don't know how to communicate the enormity of what this means."

"This struggle has re-awakened our imagination. Somewhere along the way, capitalism reduced the idea of justice to mean just "human rights", and the idea of dreaming of equality became blasphemous. We are not fighting to tinker with reforming a system that needs to be replaced."

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Intelligent people know better than to waste their time sitting around parks waiting for some miracle to occur.

Nothing will come of this event except 1000s of people with brand new arrest records. Wall Street remains unaffected. The banks remain unaffected.... besides BoA's withdrawn fees. That might have been the biggest accomplishment of this whole movement.... saving $5 per transaction. A victory, but not nearly the victory that they aimed for.

Nothing will come of it because of people like you. If enough people protest, if enough of the country supports a protest that is when changes happen. Instead you look at it and complain that it isn't going to fix anything so you don't want to get involved. Very good sir.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The problem with OWS was that there was no credible solution being proposed to anything.

A general collection of the disaffected is easily sidelined. All you have to do is get the anti-capitalists into the mix. Take some pictures of communist slogans etc. Without a cohesive message to counteract them the movement is DOA.

Whats needed is a US version of this campaign.

www.positivemoney.org.uk...

Campaign for specific reforms. That way the burden is on the interviewer to point out the flaws.
edit on 18-11-2011 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

we are one, we are the REAL 99%

That is most of the problem: You are not. You are a very small percentage of the population misleading yourselves about who is among you.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsPeculiar

we are one, we are the REAL 99%

That is most of the problem: You are not. You are a very small percentage of the population misleading yourselves about who is among you.

Go back and re-read that post, you completely missed the point.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

If enough people protest, if enough of the country supports a protest that is when changes happen.

You really miss the point. Most people are happy with the way things work right now. You have fooled yourself into thinking you represent a majority. OWS does not represent the people.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
@ofhumandescent

There are HUGE age restrictions/discrimination no matter where you go. There's nothing that can be done about that because of how humans learn with age. At the same time, I've met a few very intelligent middle schoolers.

Anyways, to move on, it becomes a matter of "I'm just one person" or "We're an entire community." What's more effective and what's more likely to do something. In other words, you can be one person all you want, the issue is that it takes one person to start something and in the end, a group to finish if you want success.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Go back and re-read that post, you completely missed the point.

I read it and understood it just fine. The OWS movement does not represent anything close to a majority. The majority of the people are quite aware of the problems in our society, are not nearly as alarmed as you, and believe all can be fixed in the ballot box. Few think there is any need whatsoever for any sort of mass change, mass protests, or any of the crap of which you speak.

In fact, rational people are pushing back very hard on "hope and change". The system is not broken. The OWS people are the broken ones.

You stand more lonely than you have deluded yourself into thinking.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Hmm... I call them dirty hippies because their ideologies are ridiculous and their methods of bringing change are equally ridiculous. Sitting around causing issues that taxpayers have to pay for? Do they think that what they're doing is going to make the banks and whoever the hell else they're protesting say "you know guys, they're right" or do you think that everyone is going to get fed up with a bunch of dirty hippies and start sending in the cavalry?

I went to my local "occupy" movement and it was despicable. It's just young people getting pissed about stuff, and blaming it on other people. They just remind me of people who don't pay taxes then get all pissy when they're being evicted.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

reply to post by Drezden

If enough people protest, if enough of the country supports a protest that is when changes happen.

You really miss the point. Most people are happy with the way things work right now. You have fooled yourself into thinking you represent a majority. OWS does not represent the people.

I don't like to go about assuming but I wanted to add something:

Are people really happy or pretending to be happy? Are they satisfied or just living with what they get? Most people, even if they don't want to admit it, are afraid of change or getting hurt from standing out in a community.

There are many people who will just sit to the side when a person if being ganged up on. Doesn't matter if it's a mugging or bullying.

Are people really "happy" with the way things work? Or just ignoring the problems in front of them? Ignorance.

Personally, I don't like the idea of changing anything people don't want to change but if a community can become better, if all people could be better, it would be a lot easier for everyone to be accepting, not people who are just feigning ignorance..

EDIT: Just to add to what I wanted to say, I don't actually support putting up arms or protesting. In all honesty, it just takes a person every day letting out one or two good deeds to make a change. Throw that napkin in the trash, now the ground, it's not that hard.
edit on 18-11-2011 by GiftingMyThoughts because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

Surprisingly, I spoke with a lot of people, middle class that like us came for the weekends because they had jobs................they are service to others.

You see there are two types of people.

Service to self (me, myself and I) and
Service to others (cares and thinks about themself and others as well).

Selfish vs greedy

A lot of the people I spoke with had jobs.

A lot of the people I spoke with were long time, faithful, good employees that had their job outsourced or insourced.

Some young people I spoke with said they went to a top notch college, got a college loan, worked hard for good grades, and have hit the street looking for a job, any job to no avail.

Do you talk to the homeless?

One medical issue, one job loss - your life, currently (unless you're one of the 1%) hangs by a very thin thread.

One anything could land you from your home/apartment with a car to a alleyway and "soup kitchen".

Yes I spoke with many people and all of them sees a very very very corrupt system that needs some drastic change.

Did you go to OWS?

Have you researched (read at least 10 political books last year?) 10 isn't much but my guess is you haven't.

What you see on TV and read in the newspaper is corporate controlled propaganda.

Have you volunteered at a homeless shelter for just one day and talk to the people there?

What have you read, who have you talked to and how much have you researched into our current world situation that is on the brink of disaster?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

it hasn't failed, they as all peaceful movements will confront many many obsticals meaning elites-politians federal reserve, but this is real and will continue to grow, I haven't been able to get there yet but im working on it. It is not over, did you see the seniors are backing this occupy movement? Aired on fox yesterday once, they want to occupy the super committee-government, they are still forming their part of this movement , I believe as this revolution moves forward the masses will unite. Ghandi, martin Luther king Jr faught for a very long time before there movements prevailed. I believe in this movement

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by StopFearMongering

My husband marched with Dr. Martin Luther King during the Civil Rights Movement.............he actually got to meet this heroic man and speak with him for a few minutes.

This is how movements begin. This is how to try to peacefully bring about change. This is trying to make things better and more just for all people, not just a select few. This is thinking about someone else vs just yourself.

Your assumptions, back in the 70's I was a hippie......................but I did not do drugs and have always been very very clean. I was in charge of our kitchen in our commune and that kitchen - you could eat off the floor.

I have a background in nursing and realize the importance of good hygiene, and would pit my home and body against yours any day of the week germ wise.

You assume a lot without research. Very prejudice and name calling and your post was offensive to me.

BTW: My husband said his five minute conversation with Dr. King (he was one of the few whites that attended so Dr. King was eager to speak with him)................My husband said Dr. King was a most remarkable and wonderful human, he was greatly impressed. And my husband doesn't say that about many people.

edit on 18-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

You stand more lonely than you have deluded yourself into thinking.

I am about as far from being a supporter of this "movement" as one can be, just ask anyone who has read any post of mine in any thread on the subject here.

I was outlining how this movement could be successful, IF they could speak to and for ALL Americans.

While you may believe the status quo in the USA is acceptable and no changes are required, it is you who are suffering from deluded thinking.

Unemployment, mass-exodus of business, manufacturing and jobs out of the country, unimaginable national debt and deficit spending growing by the moment, a government that has legislated, regulated and controlled the private sector into near economic collapse.... A government that is nearly wholly owned, influenced and controlled by lobbyists, and corporate elites both domestic and foreign.... I could go on and on and on.... But I would only be dredging through the obvious.

While my posting history will clearly show my opposition to this movement, that doesn't mean that I don't want to see REAL change in this nation, and especially in government.... It is how we get there, and how it needs to be ALL or may as well be nothing....

Take that delusion and think on it for a while.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

We should be ashamed of ourselves. We should have done more.

The First Amendment is great....
Unfortunately, nothing will change until the 2nd is implemented.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by galactix

nicely said.

tho i would have rather heard what u actually did rather than your opinion of what we did not do.

u do realize that imposing your ideas of what we should or should not do (and ur disappointment in same) onto us with words is no different than imposing ur ideas onto us with arms.

it is the imposition that matters.

if u feel strongly: act.
but ur whip of guilt only serves to close my ears.

I was out there from day one at my local Occupy adding my two cents, finding supplies, rented a porta-potty, talked to a few local media outlets as to not let the whacho's get on camera and stain the local movement, and a bunch of other stuff. So I was actually out there doing what most people did not.

I disagreed with many of their actions, but instead of crying about it, I put my actions to work and talked to them, tried to make them understand my point of view.

I suppose this was a touch of guilt for me in that I wish that I could have done more. My local Occupy is about to implode, people I talk to in NY and a few smaller cities are all but done as well. There is inner turmoil within many of the camps, and it doesn't look as though it will make it through the winter.

That's my opinion anyway.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join