It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious, non-trolling advice for OWS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
(Note:- For moderators and other people who don't understand, when I use the term guerilla tactics here, I am NOT talking about violence. I am talking about appearing in one place, and fading away rapidly, in that manner)

So I admit it; my last two threads on this topic have been troll bait. This thread won't be. I'm not going to call names or trash anyone here, but I still seriously feel that OWS' tactics need to change.

They need to start doing something else. At the moment, I can't see them doing anything other than making themselves a target for the police.

Sit-ins, such that people remain in one fixed place for a long period of time, don't work any more. All they do now is give the police a nice, convenient, single target. OWS likes bragging about how its' leadership is decentralised, (although I still have doubts about that, personally) but their movements also need to start becoming decentralised.

What I mean by this, is gathering in one place, and staying there for a few hours to a day at most, before splitting up and going somewhere else. I am truthfully starting to recognise the value of having a meeting place for people to discuss the implementation of alternative social institutions, but if they stay in one place for too long, they give the police time to organise, descend on them, and make arrests.

I've been a big fan of the Terminator movies for years, as well as having found some awesome fan fiction on the Internet about Skynet and John Connor's Resistance. In that scenario, Connor's force had to adopt guerilla tactics; and if OWS are going to survive, they need to start doing the same. Skynet was a big, megalithic machine which functioned and thought in terms of conventional, standing armies. It was used to engaging a conventional, centralised force, and the only way the Resistance were depicted as being able to fight it successfully, was by becoming decentralised, and moving around so quickly that it didn't have time to get a target lock.

There are a great many real-world examples of this, as well. You can probably still find some material on guerilla and/or light cavalry tactics online.

The focus also needs to be taken away from actively engaging the police. You might think that by using the term "guerilla tactics," I'm advocating violence here, but I'm actually advocating LESS violence than what we've been seeing.

GATHER FOR A FEW HOURS. PUT THE EMPHASIS ON PEOPLE MEETING EACH OTHER, AND THINGS LIKE THE FREE NETWORK FOUNDATION ETC BEING ABLE TO FORM AND CO-ORDINATE, AS THE FOCUS. THE MOMENT THE POLICE SHOW UP, FLEE. FADE AWAY, WAIT A FEW HOURS OR DAYS, AS NECESSARY, AND THEN SHOW UP SOMEWHERE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. LATHER, RINSE, REPEAT.

By using this strategy, you accomplish a few different objectives.

• You can continue the positive element of information sharing, and like-minded people collaborating; as well as providing people with examples of what a different scenario might look like.
  • Arrests from the police are minimised. I know Occupy likes emphasising the opposite, but the reality is that they are a very small group. If they're going to accomplish anything, they need to keep as many of their most active people out of jail as possible. It's likely, in fact, that the police are using arresting people as a form of attrition. They'd try and keep the most committed people behind bars until the rest with less stamina lose interest, so that the whole movement collapses.
  • You keep the police busy chasing their collective tail, rather than arresting/beating you. If you can show up somewhere fast, then disappear, then show up again rapidly somewhere else, and keep doing that, eventually most of the police's time will be spent trying to anticipate your next location.

I've never read of an Occupy protest yet, other than maybe the opening day, which consisted of more than 1,000 people. Given that, the movement is in reality microscopic, relative to the rest of the population.

That small size could become an enormous strength rather than a weakness, but you have to start seeing it and using it as one.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
(Note:- For moderators and other people who don't understand, when I use the term guerilla tactics here, I am NOT talking about violence. I am talking about appearing in one place, and fading away rapidly, in that manner)

Isn't that a flash mob?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by petrus4

Isn't that a flash mob?

Whatever you want to call it. The point is, they're not doing it here. They're wanting to camp in the same place for days on end. You might as well paint a large red bulls' eye on your forehead.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
heres some more advice

leave the pot and drums at home... and maybe don't invite Phish and other irrelevant old people to your events...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Do unto others as they definitely would do unto you.

Gather a large unstoppable determined group, holding hard evidence of alleged crimes committed by specific CEOs, politicians, heads of alphabet agencies.

Go to locations of the suspects, perform citizen's arrests, hold them in detention until their common law trials for their alleged crimes.

That is exactly what they do to any of us when we so much as litter or jaywalk. Hold them accountable, don't scream and beg for them to turn themselves in and admit their crimes. That will never happen, so OWS is wasting their time if they think that's what's going to happen.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

S&F.

Debt is the lack of money.

There is not enough money in circulation for each person to pay off their fair share of the national debt in America.

It is illegal for me to print or manufacture my own money.

If I am not legally permitted to do anything about it then....... ?

Occupy Wall Street - Lest We Plutocracy (two phrases, same exact letters)

edit on 17-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: fix a bb code typo.

top topics

join