It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this be what causes many of us to abandon the Internet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

The Justice Dept. wants you to be inviolation of the law (in its strictest interpretation) if your profile states that you are in one location and you logon from a different location. They want to make the violations of a site's T&C a federal crime under the 1986 coputer fraud and abuse law. I know that there will be debunkers who will state that it is not as bad as it sounds, but this is the way it is going. Total control.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jcord

I agree that it is going way too far in an already encroaching Police State but people abandoning the internet is just not going to happen.

They will do as they have been doing until they are caught and then they will just do as they're told.

All for security and safety they'll say...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Whos abandoning the internet? I cant live without my internet
abandoning internet
thats a good one

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
.......abandoning the internet
:lol
h man you really had me going for a minute

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Abandon the internet?!??!?!

Uttering those words is blasphemous!

hehe just joking....

Within 100 years we will be like The Borg; I wonder who the queen will be

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
since when is stating on your profile that you are in one location, and logging on from another location, hacking??

has nothing to do with hacking....and that stupid computer bill from 1986 wasn't even geared for the 21st century, let alone for the internet..they didn't even know what the internet was, back in '86....as for fartbook...i could care less about that internet dumpster.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I would be happy for the internet to vanish and go back to reading books for infomation one may seek in a specific area , rather than this bits of everything stuff of the internet.

Internet is addictive and time wasting on nonsense talk . take TV out too . We dont want to know what the stupid asses of the world are doing . Without this global brainwasher people would get on with their lives more peacefully

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I won't abandon the Internet just because some crooks tell me it's against the law. If that were the case I guess everyone in the country would be crooks huh? But that's ok. Not like this country isn't full of crooks anyways.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Already a thread AND ITS MINE!

There's also another from someone else but I will gladly bump and discuss here too because this needs more exposure (damn I'm usually a pretty fair speller but 'exposure' took me 5 tries for some reason).

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Anusuia

I would be happy for the internet to vanish and go back to reading books for infomation one may seek in a specific area , rather than this bits of everything stuff of the internet. Internet is addictive and time wasting on nonsense talk . take TV out too . We dont want to know what the stupid asses of the world are doing . Without this global brainwasher people would get on with their lives more peacefully

Said the person commenting on the internet. Not sure if serious...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Soon enough this thing we all know as the internet will change for the worse. When that happens a new type of internet will be born. It might even happen sooner then we think.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
If we could trust that laws exist to protect us and not harm us, then perhaps there would be no problem. However, I know first hand that laws exist to selectively punish; to gain political advantage; to consolidate and retain power. There, my thought crime for the day.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by robile

I may know what you are talking about. Imagine that the fed government secretly owns and controls practically everything. On a certain day at a certain time they rip off the veil. Behind the veil of incompetence is a cold calculating totalitarian dictatorship. A scientific dictatorship so subtle and refined that one could scarcely percieve it.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anusuia
I would be happy for the internet to vanish and go back to reading books for infomation one may seek in a specific area , rather than this bits of everything stuff of the internet.

I wonder what's better: Buying a book that may be full of editor mistakes and is outdated once it rolls into the stores - or the internet, were everything is updated the second it happens, where nothing is ever 'outdated' and mistakes can be eliminated.
I own about 150 books, historical books, biographies and others, the vast amount of mistakes and outdated information in those is amazing (there's a reason for 2nd, 3rd, fourth and even more revised editions). Just because books are old and have been there for hundreds of years, doesn't make them awesome.
Granted, not everthing on the Internet is true either and Wikipedia is full of false information (The german Wiki is hundred times worse than the english one) but those mistakes get corrected and at least you get additional sources for everything. While rarely books have any footnotes or present the sources, they're a "Just read it and believe it" kind of thing.

Internet is addictive and time wasting on nonsense talk . take TV out too .

Says the person posting on a forum on the Internet. Awesome. lol:

We dont want to know what the stupid asses of the world are doing . Without this global brainwasher people would get on with their lives more peacefully

So...to change the ATS slogan, it's better to promotei ignorance? Is it better to know nothing, live in your own small world? I wonder how many times you stick the fingers in your ears, going "lalalalala, can't hear you"

If the Internet would vanish, it would be a bad thing, we would be back to the 1970's No knowledge about what is going in on the world, relying on TV (promoting wrong and censored "news") and outdated newspapers. Horrible it would be and it's not only news of the world, i learned so much things thanks to the internet, discovered music and movies, met people from around the planet, i think it's just awesome being able to talk to someone living in Japan or the USA.

And everything is addictive but 'addictive' doesn't necessarly mean a bad thing.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
This won't even get to Committee so the chance and likelyhood of this actually going to a floor vote is near nill. It is not fraud as all it is was your location of where you happened to be at that particular point in time as that is the intent of the Update feature on any social networking site and would only be illegal if an investigation by law enforcement reveals that you did that with the sole intent to cover up a crime that you yourself committed is the only way I could see this. This could also be extended to include sites such as this.

But to abandon the internet, HELL NO! The internet as we know it today shall remain and will only increase!
edit on 18-11-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jcord

Could this be what causes many of us to abandon the Internet?

Out of fear of never seeing the internet again in my life I'm a bit hesitant to read the Opening Post.
But now, what is it I could be missing?
unanswered questions. anxiety over what could it be?

Very interesting title choice jcord. I think that title alone is a win.
Thanks OP.

Edited to add: The curiosity got to me, had to look and..... (lol)
In an ironic twist it has been the internet that has contributed to me abandoning Fox News years ago.
edit on 18-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

top topics

join