It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Aren't More People Behind OWS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm currently taking a history course called American Diversity. The topic of discussion this week is the American Progressive Era. It was a movement from the 1890's to the 1920's, of people trying to "purify the government".

Now, to me, the Progressive Era sounds a lot like the Occupy Wall Street movement. Americans were protesting the government in a peaceful way, a lot of which were setting up tents outside the White House, just to show that they were upset.

What did they want? They basically wanted prohibition, women's suffrage, and an overall "purer" government. What did they get? Prohibition, women's suffrage, and an overall "purer" government. Obviously, some of the things they wanted were not the best ideas this country has ever had (prohibition), but its the fact that the protests got them what they wanted.

At first, their protests started small, on a local level. Over time, they became bigger and bigger until they reached a National level. And it worked.

The way I see it, we have the OWS protesters, those that agree with them but don't believe it will work, and those who disagree with the protesters. Needless to say, I believe those who disagree with the protesters don't completely understand what they're protesting.

Now to those of you that agree with the, but don't believe. If the citizens of the United States of America could get what they wanted before, who's to say they cant get it now? If we all believed in them, and joined them, we could help make this country a better place... The same way they did in the American Progressive Era.

It's not impossible. Nothing's impossible.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by faint1993

The Progressive Era produced some positives but it is also the reason for many of the ills we currently face. No thanks. And it was completely manipulated, co-opted, and eventually controlled by "the elites".

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by radosta

Really? As I said, I am just taking a class on the subject, and researched it only a little further, so I dont have a very thorough understanding of both sides. What are these "ills" you're speaking of?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The Progressive Era DID provide some good things, including Teddy Roosevelt, the president with the best popularity EVAH! He stopped the timber and railroad barons in their tracks, provided us with awesome national parks, and ushered the US onto the world stage.

Then he handpicked Taft as his successor, who screwed a lot of stuff up, and when he ran again for president it resulted in electing one of the most autocratic, despotic, totalitarian presidents we have ever had, Woodrow Wilson.

Besides, OWS presents you with gems like this:

Awesome protest. Just awesome.
edit on 11/17/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

dont think people are going to get free college, but a girl can dream right

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Why aren't more people behind OWS ?
Because they are a bunch of morons.
I am behind their right to protest, but 99% of these clowns don't even know why they are out there.
If you are going to protest, at least have a coherent platform.
Massive Fail...IMO

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noromyxo

Why aren't more people behind OWS ?
Because they are a bunch of morons.
I am behind their right to protest, but 99% of these clowns don't even know why they are out there.
If you are going to protest, at least have a coherent platform.
Massive Fail...IMO

right? haha its funny cuz you said 99%

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
My guess would be that it has something to due with some of the alleged actions of some of the participants including: Open drug use, rape, theft, defecating in public(on a sidewalk, I saw the video) and destruction of personal property. Have you seen any of the videos of these protests? Some of these people are a joke. I totally support the concept of leveling the playing field against big corporations and big banks, so that average people actually have a fighting chance of upward mobility. The morons occupying cities all over America however, have ####ed up the whole movement. Behavior like this is unlikely to attract favoritism. They seem to be more concerned with fighting with the cops than anything else. Besides, the occupiers seem to not get the idea of protesting to congressional members, who makes the laws, instead of banks themselves. Many policies and practices that everyone hates so much are perfectly legal. A good part of the housing market crash was the result of people making stupid financial decisions. I'm not defending greedy banks, but people willingly make dumb decisions and then want out when the deal no longer stands in their favor. Don't expect banks to stop any time soon because you make them feel bad. People should be protesting their local representative's offices and putting pressure on them to do something. If they don't feel the need to find a solution, don't reelect them. We can get changes to happen, but I don't think the current Occupy movement is the right way to do it.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
oh also people don't support it cuz they work for their money

top topics

join