It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill would make wearing masks during riots a crime

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Bill would make wearing masks during riots a crime

www.cbc.ca

A private member's bill set for debate Thursday in Ottawa would make it a crime to cover your face with a mask or other means during a riot.

The bill by Conservative MP Blake Richards was introduced in the House of Commons last month and is set to be debated for the first time. It seeks to amend the Criminal Code to make it an offence to wear a mask, or otherwise disguise or conceal one’s identity during riots or unlawful assemblies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
5 year term ? I'd get less for killing someone. There are two sides here naturally. On one hand law enforcement wanting to identify any and all citizens. On the other hand the ability to protect your identity because in this age you have no idea to what extent video surveillance or photos could be used against you.

There are those who will tout the line that if you have nothing to hide, then reveal yourself. Essentially stand be proud and take responsibility for your actions. These are the same people who probably share the ridiculous and naive belief that if you are not doing anything wrong there is nothing to hide and therefore your privacy is unimportant. The question is at what point could this action take place. A riot is fairly obvious but can spawn very, very quickly as we've seen countless times. Unlawful assembly gives a lot of leeway to cops who seem more inclined to shining their billy sticks with blood versus serving and protecting the public.

brill

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
what if the mask is a picture of your own face.

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
So I guess they will be arresting the police force as well no?
As it would only be fair to be able to identify them as well right?
edit on 17-11-2011 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Does that law affect the riot police?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
what if the mask is a picture of your own face.

Good question. You would probably serve more time.

brill

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I've heard they are going to make it a crime to carry a gun to a murder, what is happening to our countries

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Then you would be a bit of an idiot lol.

I thought by masks you meant specifically gasmasks, I'm surprised everyone who goes to protests with potential police violence doesn’t wear them.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Wow a lot of police are going to breaking the law then.

It'll be a shame to see the police pepper spraying each other in their faces and kicking them to the floor and hitting them with batons.

Wonder how the police will deal with this?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

So, rioting is legal. Just don't wear a mask while doing it.

What ever happened to simple "protests"? I think that if i am frustrated enough to riot, I don't care about the law any more and will wear a mask if the notion hits me. And what will they do? Take a picture and hunt me down?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The big question is how do they determine what is and isn't a riot?
What happens when the police force uses kettling and other methods to promote a violent end? Soon hiding your face anytime may be illegal

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by brill

So, rioting is legal. Just don't wear a mask while doing it.

What ever happened to simple "protests"? I think that if i am frustrated enough to riot, I don't care about the law any more and will wear a mask if the notion hits me. And what will they do? Take a picture and hunt me down?

Thing is in many riot scenarios its a few who attempt to speak for everyone and usually out of frustration. Their actions alone could incite others and the majority, who may be attempting peaceful protest, get corralled. What about guilt by association ?

Otherwise ....agreed, if the hype gets to the point of a full blown riot makes no difference.

brill

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Seems the bill is drawing a target on this guy:

Increasingly desperate government seeking increasingly desperate means to suppress the populace.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Edited/ because somehow I thought this was specifically about GAS masks.
edit on 17-11-2011 by Anthropormorphic because: mistook the subject matter

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I guess that will jepordise all the provacatuers. Most Provacatuers hide there face with a bandanna, mask, or shades to hide their identity..

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Obviously (?) well perhaps not but the correlation between this and the proliferation of cctv and advanced facial recognition techniques should perhaps set alarms ringing.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

This is so dumb and an obvious attempt at suppression. Bet those masks mess with facial recognition software, don't they? But making something illegal while doing something illegal is redundant and just a waste of time.

What's next? Making it illegal to wear a ski mask while robbing a bank?

Don't these fools have better things to do like fixing the economy and the deficit?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

chillz

it's unenforceable, unless you let yourself get caught.
if they don't know who you are, who are they gonna arrest?

just pick somebody at random?

no wait...

in amurika it would be a violation of the fifth ammendment

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
so they can id you for a list later or maybe just come and take you out .. i guess it just fepends how vocal you are and how many people listen to you

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vardoger
The big question is how do they determine what is and isn't a riot?
What happens when the police force uses kettling and other methods to promote a violent end? Soon hiding your face anytime may be illegal

Yeah. That'll piss off the Muslim Extremists real good, huh?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join