It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Bright in the Eastern Sky Asheville NC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Looking for anyone else in the area to see if you are seeing the bright light in the East towards the hospitals on Tunnel Rd. It seems to be moving way to slow for a commercial aircraft, but it definitely looks to be moving. It is way to bright to be a star. I suppose it could be a spot light on a helicopter, but I don't hear anything. So I was hoping by posting here someone might have seen it. I tried to get some pictures with the cell phone, but it's between to many moving trees with the wind we got right now. However, when I was on my way home I noticed it more over Downtown Asheville then East and then by the time I got around the corner to my house about 1 min. It was in the East.

PS It's not the moon. I realize the moon rises in the East lol but it's more SE then East.
edit on 11/17/2011 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Sorry I can't resist.
Sure it's not Venus?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Must be Venus

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804
Looking for anyone else in the area to see if you are seeing the bright light in the East towards the hospitals on Tunnel Rd. It seems to be moving way to slow for a commercial aircraft, but it definitely looks to be moving. It is way to bright to be a star. I suppose it could be a spot light on a helicopter, but I don't hear anything. So I was hoping by posting here someone might have seen it. I tried to get some pictures with the cell phone, but it's between to many moving trees with the wind we got right now. However, when I was on my way home I noticed it more over Downtown Asheville then East and then by the time I got around the corner to my house about 1 min. It was in the East.

PS It's not the moon. I realize the moon rises in the East lol but it's more SE then East.
edit on 11/17/2011 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

Check out my post..Wher are you..It is called a Leonid Meteor shower..nothing to fear.....Its cool to watch..Just bundle up if it is cold outside and watch..I herd the best time to watch is 10pm est...My post gives you the info...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by horseplay

No I'm not sure it's not Venus. I can't really tell. It looks brighter then a planet but I am sure it's possible. That is why I was asking for others that might see it in my area. I am not proclaiming it's aliens!! I am more curious then anything it did seem to be moving.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Could be Jupiter. It's up there right now to my east, I'm center of Canada.

If it's visibly moving, it's a UFO

Not necessarily aliens, just an flying object that's unidentified....
edit on 17-11-2011 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

Could be Canopus.

Anyhow, check this out...

Stellarium

Cheers

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804
reply to post by horseplay

No I'm not sure it's not Venus. I can't really tell. It looks brighter then a planet but I am sure it's possible. That is why I was asking for others that might see it in my area. I am not proclaiming it's aliens!! I am more curious then anything it did seem to be moving.

I just told you what is was...Check out the thread about the Leonid meteor shower tonight....

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
meteors don't move slowly....they are usually fairly quick!

obligatory 2nd!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It's Jupiter.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Thank you so much for that Stellarium link! I'm seeing Jupiter in the east. I think was confused, as it seemed to rise really fast - so I was wondering if it was a planet or something else I was seeing.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
As a few users have mentined ahead f me, but I feel the need to chime in anyway, it is mst likely Jupiter, very very bright in the night sky just a tad toward the southeast. Its actually been visible for quite some time now, weeks maybe longer.

Double check because Jupiter is hard to miss and just notice on this evening, like i said it is very very bright.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The OP said it was moving, so it's unlikely to be Jupiter since it's motion in the sky is almost imperceptable. The OP also said it was moving slowly, so it's unlikely to be a Leonid meteor, which are amongst the fastest of all meteors.

One possibility is that it was a satellite (possibly the ISS) or an Iridium flare. The OP can easily check if it was by going to heavens-above and entering his observing location, then checking back to see if any passes match the time of the observation.

top topics

join