It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got sexy eyes? Sorry, the Burka won't cut it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Wow. Just... wow.
Are there no depths that the repression of Islamic women won't stoop to?

Women with sexy eyes in Saudi Arabia may be forced to cover them up, according to the spokesperson of the Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (CPVPV) in the conservative Gulf kingdom.

Spokesman of the Ha’eal district, Sheikh Motlab al-Nabet said the committee has the right to stop a women whose eyes seem “tempting” and order her to cover them immediately.

Saudi women are already forced to wear a loose black dress and to cover their hair and in some areas, their face, while in public or face fines or sometimes worse, including public lashings.

The announcement came days after the Saudi newspaper al-Watan reported that a Saudi man was admitted to a hospital after a fight with a member of the committee when he ordered his wife to cover her eyes. The husband was then stabbed twice in the hand.

The CPVPV is Saudi’s Sharia, Islamic law, executive arm and was founded in 1940 to ensure Islamic laws are not broken in public, yet over the years, the committee has been largely criticized over its human rights violations.

In 2002, the committee refused to let female students out of their burning schools in Mecca for “not wearing the proper head cover,” which contributed to a large number of dead.

15 young girls died in the fire and dozens more were injured.

While I don't want this to devolve into a "bash Islam" thread... I'm growing increasingly sick and tired of men who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions, and instead force women to behave like slave objects in order to compensate.

Can't control your lust? Learn some self-control... don't force women to cover themselves because of your own inability to exercise some self-restraint.

Pathetic.

source

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
It's more about their own modesty and sex-role in their society, I think.

This is a hysterical comedy piece on the Burka. I don't like Bill Maher, but this is good!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Said isn't it?

What I find even sadder is that some people think this is only the case in countries the west deems evil (at their convenience) such as Iran/Syria.

Maybe we should place some sanctions on Saudi Arabia hmmmm?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Most of this has originated from the Whabbbis in Saudi Arabia. They are the promoters of AL Quaida and extremism in Muslim countries. Like everything evil a lot of this has been caused by Western Countries and then use it to decry how awful they are as an excuse to convince people War is good. Like everything else follow the money trail and power trip trail you will find the real answer.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

I agree with you in that the problem doesn't lie with the women not covering themselves as directed by the men (or the Koran, whatever), but the men's inability to exercise self restraint when in the presence of a beautiful not-fully-covered woman. It's very true and to us modernized, westernized folk it is unacceptable and sometimes downright sick and oppressive.

It is at that point that I realize we cannot control the entire world's ways, and should not press our views on what should be upon other nations or religions, but let them be as they are and mind our own business while we celebrate and relish in our own Freedoms that we are so proud of. While we still can, that is.

In time, they will come around and break free of their own oppression as these days they see what free women in free nations are capable of. I know that many Arabic women are challenging that status quo with success as time goes on... Their progress will be slow but steady, and I don't think we need to intervene to help them along.

In short, we are already showing them how it's done by example and they have taken notice and have the inspiration they need to 'break free'...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Wow! Now why do us American women think we have to work out and starve ourselves to be lookin all sexy?? Come on ladies! If we were living in Saudi Arabi we could be having cheeseburgers, pizza and icecream every day! ....and forget wasting all that time and money on mascarra and eyeliner!
Okay, but on a more serious note. This genuinely concerns me because it is rather silly and opressive, but even more important than that, when Iran comes to the Olympics, how will we know if it's them or the aliens?? .....I mean.....if we can't even see their eyes....?

Originally posted by trustnothing
There gonna let eveyone know by taking Irans place at the olympics.

See!...See??!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
There is a fine line between culture and religion, please can people understand this before they cry out loud and say it's the religion!

Culture corrupts religion, it's very difficult to sometimes separate these two and uneducated people see the religion for the worst.

Despite the country supposedly one of the more religious country in the world, it doesn't mean a mixed value and political agenda isn't applied with personal preferences.

So please for heaven sake, understand the religion before the flaming.

Ps - i am not saying its disgusting how male gets away with so much, even though they should be controlling themselves but that alone is a topic altogether. Religion does exercise some modesty and do advise sensible clothing but the rest is 'applied religion along with personal agendas'.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

when Iran comes to the Olympics, how will we know if it's them

SEE!.......
Saudi Arabia is NOT Iran

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vardoger

when Iran comes to the Olympics, how will we know if it's them

SEE!.......
Saudi Arabia is NOT Iran

Ooooh yeaaah.....oops! I feel so much better now!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
No, this is Saudi Arabia. We LOVE them. Our president KISSES their king. You know, the guy who makes these laws stick.

But, look over there! IRAN!! Yeah, THOSE are the bad guys. You just listen to me. THOSE are the bad guys. Obey. Sic 'em.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by coldhand
There is a fine line between culture and religion, please can people understand this before they cry out loud and say it's the religion!

Culture corrupts religion, it's very difficult to sometimes separate these two and uneducated people see the religion for the worst.

While I would agree that the Burqa isn't mandated by the Quran, I don't see the division between religion and culture that you seem to be suggesting. Not in practice, anyway. While you might state that this is merely a cultural construct, the Saudis would most definitely use the Hadiths and the Quran to support their position.

Ultimately that all comes down to interpretation, but when you have Islamic texts telling women that they must cover their breasts, well, that's one thing. But when you have another Islamic scholar interpreting the command to cover "beauty spots" as meaning ankles, eyes, neck, wrists etc., well, who are you to argue? that's a matter of interpretation.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Odd as it goes against traditional Arabic / Islamic culture of praising the beauty of the eyes.. seen as the window to the soul for lack of a better definition, most Middle Eastern cultures place emphasis on the eyes, especially those of women..

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Awen24

Odd as it goes against traditional Arabic / Islamic culture of praising the beauty of the eyes.. seen as the window to the soul for lack of a better definition, most Middle Eastern cultures place emphasis on the eyes, especially those of women..

I wouldn't argue that either... You definitely have a case to make on that point; fact is though, so do the fundamentalists when it comes to covering up. Their arguments, from the Quran, are no less legitimate than those who claim that the Quran talks about the beauty of women in ways that sound... well, beautiful. Unfortunately increasingly few of that religion's adherents seem to care about those passages, preferring instead those that extol violence and repression. But then... to do so does follow Mohammed's "perfect example", so I suppose that's the logical conclusion.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
While I don't want this to devolve into a "bash Islam" thread... I'm growing increasingly sick and tired of men who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions, and instead force women to behave like slave objects in order to compensate.

Why would any reasonable person use this as a tool to bash Islam with ?

Saudi Arabia is a backwardass country, whose ruling elite use selectively literalist interpretations of the Qur'an and Hadith to exert control over the people.

Saudi Arabia is 1 of 50 Muslim-majority countries in the world, and their population makes up little more than 1% of the global Muslim population.

Uganda, a predominantly Christian country, was considering passing a bill that would make homosexuality an offence punishable by death. Would any reasonable person extrapolate that Christians in all four corners of the globe would support killing gay people ? Of course not. But why must some people persist in taking laws and attitudes from a handful of backwardass Muslim countries and regions, and then applying them with a broad brush to cover all Muslims ?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I would honestly rather die than live under those laws.

I live in South Africa, and I see many women wearing burkas and full dresses. I wonder if it is their choice- or the commandment of their husbands?

It's quite cute though, I used to work in retail (bleh) and see the same couple quite often. The woman was fully dressed as they usually are, and the husband was wearing very nice middle eastern clothing. (Linen shirt and pants with sandals.) They used to walk around and giggle, at God knows what... I always thought they were laughing at how we dress...

My point- do these men really love their women? Like, truly..? As I've seen, some do. Maybe they move to more 'free' countries to protect their wives.

new topics

top topics

join