It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member Applause: Request

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
For the mods/admin

Do you think it's possible to see the thread these members make when they get the applause.....

This way I know which members are intellectually enriched and also I would get to see what they were talking about, the way they post, ect...

I guess maybe it's psychological but at the same time I get much satisfaction and knowledge from reading intelligent posts, rather then the basic canned responses, ect..

I go to recent member applause to see who got them pretty much everyday, I highlight their names but I can't click on their name to see their posts.

I can click on someone's warning to see their vile or insulting post but I can't click on someone's name to see their intelligent post?

Do you think something can be done about this...

It would benefit me in so many ways...
Thanks.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I also feel it would be great addition to this already marvelous site *bends down and kisses SO's feet*
If I could see where these applauses are in reference to.

Not to point anything out, ok, I am, but what the fudge has Indy done, that he has so many applauses? Not being critical, just curious..... as hell.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeingWatchedByThem
Not to point anything out, ok, I am, but what the fudge has Indy done, that he has so many applauses? Not being critical, just curious..... as hell.

I too am curious about this......We would know if we had links to his (must be fabulous) posts... Plus i've never heard of him..

I could learn alot from this individual...

hint hint...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Check out the work he's doing with Hurricane Francis.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Check out the work he's doing with Hurricane Francis.

Cool, helpful, but i'd be alot better if I could just click on the applause, am I correct?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Where can you see who got a member aplause?

Do you mean the TWATS award with this?
If so, I don't know if the system is designed to record the post for wich the user gets a vote for.
The few XMB Hacks I found for member voting and awarding didn't record where or for what post the user got the votes.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

If I recall correctly that was for Hurricane coverage contributions, and different Mods may have been applauding the same post at different times.

There are also so many reasons applauds may happen, it would seriously just confuse people more than enlighten them I'm guessing to be linked to the posts.

Normally it is for excellent reaserch and contributions and the reason would be evident, but not always. A simple hard to find link debunking or clarifying an issue may warrant one. An enormous effort in compiling research sources may. Assisting other members above and beyond the call may.

But also: Making a good suggestion behind the scenes or via U2U. Or (as accidents happen) if a Mod slips on a big quote warn or other unwarranted point detraction, applause may be used to correct it. Bascially alot of things that can't be "linked" to for others to see.

It would just cause more questions unfortunately. Threads like "what was so good about this post?" That's all.

Maybe there's more to it an Admin could clarify further, but that's my observation.

[edit on 3-9-2004 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

If so, I don't know if the system is designed to record the post for wich the user gets a vote for.
The few XMB Hacks I found for member voting and awarding didn't record where or for what post the user got the votes.

No Staff applause.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Left side of the page. Under new members

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

No ...

Member applause not twats award...

Member applause can be seen at the left side of the screen about half way down it's just above the moderator names and such......

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum

Would like to see the posts these people got their applause for.....
Would help me out lots so I don't go brain dead from clicking on subjects that don't really have an substance in the post.
I read many mind numbing posts from some people on this board... I'm not perfect either, but i'm always trying to learn what I can, and these people seem to be putting out some damn good information
I just wish I could see what it was.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
It would just cause more questions unfortunately. Threads like "what was so good about this post?"

I don't see questions about people getting warnings...... It's not confusing at all, people click on it to see what they got warned for and thats it...

Same thing would go for the applause, keep it in that area so if people so desire to go look at it on their own they may, instead of guessing......

Seems like we're giving more attention to the bad guys, then the good guys here...

I'd much rather see what the good guys are up to then the warnings...

I see much more positives then negatives...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I got 1 applause for my Charly stuff

I didn't get any for updating Frances's mainpage either.

Screw the system

ah well, I'll just have some more jack daniels and ponder this music.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Oh I see

/me doesn't visit the main forum page often, I mainly use the Today's posts, Search and direct links to several forums.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
It would be nice TL, but as I was saying there's not a guarantee the "link" would make sense as it does with the automated system that shows the specific Terms and Conditions violation that warrants a warn.

If you U2U'ed me now the map to the Holy Grail, I'd applaud you on the first post that comes up from your recent post search. It may be "I like Doritios and here's a picture of my cat."

If the applaud was linked to that, don't you think there'd be some questions?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Why do you care so much about gets applauses or not, they are given and good for the ones that received them, and that its not big deal, be happy with your contributions and the responses you get that is enough to show how important your post are.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   

If you U2U'ed me now the map to the Holy Grail, I'd applaud you on the first post that comes up from your recent post search. It may be "I like Doritios and here's a picture of my cat."

I got an applause and I didn't know what it was for, so I got a link to it... Checked it out and he told me why...

I don't think mod's would just applause someone carelessly over liking doritos and a pic of his cat...

Apparantly the applauses have merit from our understanding, ie/ indy...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Why do you care so much about gets applauses or not, they are given and good for the ones that received them, and that its not big deal, be happy with your contributions and the responses you get that is enough to show how important your post are.

Actually it's not personal, it's more to do with seeing other's posts..

Apparanlty they are intelligent informative posts and I would like to learn from them....It has nothing to do with vanity so your wrong... But thanks for replying.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
I don't think mod's would just applause someone carelessly over liking doritos and a pic of his cat...

I once got applauded for calling another moderator retarded

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

That wouldn't have had anything to do with TC and Colonel, would it?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

I got applaued over something like that before... Maybe I am wrong..

Maybe these applauses don't mean #...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I got an applause and I didn't know what it was for, so I got a link to it... Checked it out and he told me why...

Apparantly the applauses have merit from our understanding, ie/ indy...

I'm sorry if I'm not using good examples. But in that one the appluase would be for something in U2U that can't be linked to...like I was saying a good number of applause worthy contributions can't.

But mods don't have an applause button anywhere other than on a post. So the place I applaud your contribution (whatever that may be) may be something totally unrelated like the "picture of my cat" example. That's all I meant.

Warns are for specific TAC violations. Applauds are more subjective AND MAY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH A SINGLE SPECIFIC POST YOU CAN SEE. So contributing members are honored in the recent applauds display, but the automated system of linking we use for specific warns just couldn't work the same way for applauds.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join