It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A City To Make Me - Transhumanist Sci-Fi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
"Transhumanism, often abbreviated as H+ or h+, is an international intellectual and cultural movement that affirms the possibility and desirability of fundamentally transforming the human condition by developing and making widely available technologies to eliminate aging and to greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities. "(Wiki)

Synopsis:

"The City is the world, a world filled with NOISE––a virtual ocean, a digital jungle. Set in and around a dystopian fictionalized City in the year 2035, unemployment, class warfare, and hyper-commerce provide the social backdrop in which a job-hungry data-miner, David Phoenix, attempts to survive. A CITY TO MAKE ME follows the psychological journey of a man exposed to deep politics and dark power as he becomes a Transhuman agent for the revolution, fighting against an all-powerful corporation on the verge of total information control."

Trailer:

www.youtube.com...

From the trailer, and the other materials I've seen, this is going to be a great film. The director has some very original ideas. It looks like CGI and other artwork are actually going to make the film more interesting and entertaining, rather than the usual, detracting from it.
I think that in many ways, this movie points to where we're going as far as the human world.
I really want to see this next year. I'm not in any way associated with the movie, unfortunately, other than being a transhumanist myself.

FB Page

Any creative input? They are in post-production, and this project is associated with VODO.

ACTMM Homepage

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by grizzle2

Honestly, good thing you posted a sypnosis coz the clip left me clueless.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'm a HUGE sci-fi fan, so I'm glad I came across this thread.

IMO, the trailer just doesn't work -- as a trailer anyway -- if they re-cut it, it would make a good viral video.

They've obviously realized that their main hook is the setting (world), and even though the whole trailer is devoted to it, it still fails to establish itself. I think they've tried to cram too much of the world into 120 seconds, and failed in the process. All I got from the trailer is that it appears to be your typical revolution story -- which is extremely overdone in sci-fi. Not to mention, I have no idea who the protagonist or antagonist is. It will be a shame if this turns out to be another example of a movie that focuses too much on the technology aspect, and by doing so fails at the storytelling aspect.

Essentially, the trailer answers questions, whereas it should ask them -- questions that the feature would answer.

Visually, it does look impressive though.

EDIT: After some further research, it appears that this is only a concept video. They have secured distribution for the short film, and are still trying to get it made into a feature.

Info from their Kickstarter page:
www.kickstarter.com...
edit on 12-12-2011 by fallethix because: more info

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by fallethix

They made their kickstarter goal. In fact, they exceeded the $8500 by over a grand, so they have more than enough to finish the 15-minute proof of concept video. Which means they should now be able to get funding for a full-length film.
I thought the trailer was more than sufficient, even though I am a witheringly caustic critic of film. It's about transhumanist augmentation of human beings, increased intelligence, etc. And there are implants with which one can, for instance, view the internet "in your head". Unfortunately, the corporate transhumanists go all eugenics and seek to use the implants to control people's thinking (the masses as a "cloud" server for the posthuman few?).
It's fairly obvious who the protagonist is, the guy with dark hair.
edit on 18-12-2011 by grizzle2 because: additional info

top topics

join