It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

linksys 2.4 ghz 802.11b anoyances...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
ok...

i have linksys 2.4 ghz 802.11b on my desktop (so its connected through the port via the card thingy) and sometimes the internet just stops working completely, every site, everything just out of nothing it just stops...

so (to get the internet back up again) i un-plug the card thing (from the port) and plug it back in (the same port) over and over again untill the "safely remove hardware" icon appears on the bottome right of the screen...

then it works again out of nothing...

is there a way to fix this anoyance or is there a way to make the internet come back up a easier way???

P.S. i have windows XP

thanks...

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Are you saying you're inserting and removing a PCI card in your system, and doing all this LIVE, while Windows is running?

(lol)

Cuz if you are, I'mma tell you to stop doing that right away. (even if a part of me is tempted to tell you to do the same thing with your memory chip). You're not supposed to do that man.

Linksys routers kinda suck man. You should have get 3Com stuff. Hell, even D-Link stuff is better. There's also Netgear, Milan, G-net (formely known as GVC), etc... Cisco if you're rich and knowlegeable. (allow me to doubt that from your previous statement, unless you clarify... or use your casual "I was just joking!")

[Edited on 4-9-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
lol that was a BIG mistake on my part...

i mean i insert and remove the USB 2.0 Netork Adapter...

can ya help???

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I have had my cable company out 5 times in the last year, and had three modems replaced.

It just stops working, I have a links router all with cables, with two laptops and one desktop, and xbox.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I have a linksys router with WiFi and I couldn't be happier. I have the desktops on direct cable connection and the laptops on Wifi without any problems.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
SO,
go to the Linksys website and look for updated "firmware". You might find this resoves your problems.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I know this may sound obvious... But check the cables, lol.

I have had numerous problems before, and after hours of troubleshooting - I found it was just a loose phone cable. Annoying as hell.

I use Netgear routers, and they are great I think. OK - they are a bit user friendly, and 'basic' - but they do the job.

I used Cisco routers at a previous job (I was network admin), and they are amazing. Although, they take a lot of know-how sometimes, as to configure a lot of them (if not all) - you log in via Telnet (or SSH these days, this was a year ago) and give it the commands you want.

But anyways, back on topic. Check cables, maybe try another USB Network Adapter? Another USB2 port?
That's the basics...

Is your connection up 24/7? Or do you connect and disconnect when you need to use it? (May sound silly, but a lot of people do this - safe at least, lol)

If you do, is it when it is connecting?
Is your IP address assigned dynamically? If so, maybe your ISPs DHCP server is having problems.

That's all I can think of for now... Though, it could really be a lot of things. But probably most likely, the most basic.

new topics

top topics

join