It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia stands by Assad as pressure mounts on Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Russia stands by Assad as pressure mounts on Syria

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Russia stood by President Bashar al-Assad on Thursday as Arab and Western countries sought to pile pressure on the Syrian leader to halt a violent crackdown on his opponents.

The Arab League has suspended Syria and given it until the end of the week to comply with an Arab peace plan to end bloodshed that has cost more than 3,500 lives, by a U.N. count.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Russia sure has surprised me a lot lately. I'm not sure if all their recent tough talk is true or not but they haven't been afraid to take sides as of late.

Assad has long claimed US involvement in this recent uprising, could Russia know something we don't?

It appears Russia has drawn the line in the sand again while staying diplomatically correct. All this diplomacy must really be irritating the United States and Israel.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

If the "freedom fighters" don't get whacked in Syria they will be repackaged and sent to Iran. Then finally Russia.-------

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by wonhunlo

I hope the US doesn't make the same mistake as the Nazis and invade during the winter

In reality I know that if there was a war between Russia and the U.S. and it's allies it would most likely not be a ground war if you know what I mean.

Part of me thinks all this back and forth tough talk lately is probably all staged. No one really knows.
edit on 17-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Well, Russia supported Qaddafi too. Did him lot of good. So if there was real push to drop Assad, it will hardly matter. But since Syria is not Lybia i doubt that European countries will be as interested to act. No oil. No illegal immigrants problem. No profit for companies.
Also, just for education - Nazi Germany attacked Soviet Union on June,22.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Just wondering: what power does the Arab League actually have over its member nations?

So, what happens if a member nation decides not to do what the League says? Is there any stigma with being sanctioned or kicked out? I suppose Russia would still buy oil from them.

Does that just mean that they won't be able to call themselves "Arabs" anymore, or something like that?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by davidchin

Yes, but their worse defeats on Russian soil were during the winter.

On 31 January 1943, the 90,000 survivors of the 300,000-man 6th Army surrendered. By that time the Hungarian 2nd Army had also been wiped out.

Stalingrad: Winter 1942

Moral of the story is don't find yourself in Russia during the winter while fighting a war.

I know that Syria is not very rich in resources, but it is a very strategic location. It would also benefit Israel if this area were to become "Americanized". I'm sure Israel would prefer a U.S. installed government running Syria.

I could be wrong but it looks to me that the American led war machine has it's scopes set on most of the Middle East including Syria.
edit on 17-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Russia is "supporting" Syria for the following reasons.

1. It just won't do to be on the side of the Western liberal democracies.
2. They cannot keep seeing these autocracies falling due to "people power". Such "people power" must not infect Russia, God forbid the flourishing of democracy. That just won't do. It is in Russia's interest to maintain autocracies.
3. Syria are a good market for Russian goods, especially arms.

Regards

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
When in doubt, don't follow the money, follow the Power...and follow my advice.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

I don't blame Russia for attempting to use their clout on this issue. The Western powers have been messing with their money for a long while and they must be getting sick of it. I'm sure China is getting irritated too.

Russia has to say something or the West will shut down all their money making operations. Russia still has that pipeline that runs all the way through Europe as far as Germany if I'm correct. Russia holds a lot more power than people realize. They could just flick a switch and screw over a lot of European countries this winter.

If Russia shut this pipeline they would lose out on some income but it would be worse for the West. Prices of oil and gas would rise and then of course the price of everything else would rise.

If you ask me Russia is being rather nice considering all the indirect harassment they have been receiving in the form of the West messing with their allies.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This reminds me of those scenes we've all seen in so many disaster movies, when people look up to see a huge flock of birds all heading in the one direction - an omen of what is to come..

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Moscow is probably delaying the Americans building a billion dollar embassy in Damascus.

on the international scene the Americans are extremely arrogant, expecting everyone to agree to their whatever they decide, causing resentment in many places.

the role of diplomacy is often to manage time, playing chess on a situation, to delay, to influence.

to get even, to gather negotiation chips.

to find allies, proxies, to bleed the opponent.

all of the above.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

What do you expect. If the same was to happen in a western country or any other country, do you think they would simply lay there arms down and step down from government? Not a chance.. It's easy to judge sitting back here where none of those problems have arised, but if they were to head to our homelands, similar to the Syrian uprising, I think we would find we would not be much different and bloodshed would be the special of the day.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen6511

There seems to be a struggle for positioning in that area. Russia is really cozy with the Syrians.

Russian Navy to base warships at Syrian port after 2012

Russia's naval supply and maintenance site near Syria's Mediterranean port of Tartus will be modernized to accommodate heavy warships after 2012, the Russian Navy chief said on Monday.

As NATO circles in around Russia, Russia is making their presence felt in areas predominately ran by the US.

It certainly is a complicated game.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I am not going to type anymore on this because the arrogance and lack of integrity is infuriating; intellectually dishonest and all know it. Good on the me for calling all of you out.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HypotheticalSituationist

May I please ask what you called us out on?

Sorry but I'm not sure what you're talking about.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
frankly to say, we've lived in the deviliciously funny times: SomeOnes have taken a play versus $-clans, but i swear with my damned head -- those SomeOnes ain't Russia at all
+ They don't know the lack of powerful techs

new topics

top topics

join