It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel - using ak47?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
hey there,

I have got into a little discussion with a guy in another forum on how come Israel doesnt use ak47 and in fact i could not find a solid dominant reason as to why they actually use the m16.

Anyone?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by co0kie
hey there,

I have got into a little discussion with a guy in another forum on how come Israel doesnt use ak47 and in fact i could not find a solid dominant reason as to why they actually use the m16.

Anyone?

I'm sure it's primarily political (Isreal uses primarily US and European weapons), but the M16 certainly has it's advantages over the AK47 (or the newer small calibler AK74)

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I also would say it's primarily a political thing since the US gives Israel so much money a year to spend on weapons.

The AK-74 would be better suited for Israels location and climate because of it's durability IMO, but the latest iteration of the m-16 is not a bad weapon at all.

thanks,
drfunk

D

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The various Israeli do use the AK and the Galil, mainly the Sayeret Tzanhanim still use those weapons. And here's an article from the Sayeret site explaining why the majority of their forces prefer the CAR15 over the AK-47/Galil.

CAR15 vs. AK-47/Galil

[edit on 7/9/04 by D]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
D, tzanhanim use m16, as far as from 2 days ago at least

Thanks for the article!

[edit on 4-9-2004 by co0kie]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
THE AK47/74 SERIES WEAPONS, WHILE BEING RELIABLE IN OPERATION, DO NOT REMAIN OPERATIONAL FOR EXTENDED, ABUSIVE USE. ASK THE EMPLOYEES OF THE GUN STORE IN LAS VEGAS. THEY ACTUALLY SHOOT MACHINEGUNS TO DESTRUCTION, AND THE AK'S SELF DESTRUCT QUICKLY COMPARED TO THE M16S AND THE M16S ARE QUICKLY REBUILDABLE, WHILE THE AK HAS JUST BECOME SO MUCH SCRAP.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
When you absolutely need to kill every mofuka in the room ... accept no substitute ..

Ak-47..

new topics

top topics

join