It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS Civil Disobedience Tipping Point In Zuccotti Park and in LA NOW.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Occupy Wall Street protesters are acting on their pledge to have a "Day of Action" in NYC today. This situation is fluid right now. Baracades are being moved, and the police are face to face with the protesters. Things are tense, and are at a standoff. It was starting to look ugly, but in the last minute or so the push and pull between police and protesters has calmed, even though it seems to be a very tense moment.
In LA, people are marching en masse to a Bank Of America Location. Protesters plan to disrupt traffic in both cities. Here we go....stay tuned
edit on 17-11-2011 by moonzoo7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2011 by moonzoo7 because: punctuation

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Will we see the police crack down with mass violence like they did in the Middle East? Will they come to their senses and realize that this is bigger than them, and that this a legitimate social movement? I personally don't want to see violence from either side. Peaceful protest is the only way to go.
The fluid situation in LA will be interesting, given the LAPD's reputation for being heavy-handed.

This begs the questions: Do our public spaces really belong to the public? What about our Constitutional Right to peacefully assemble? In my opinion,TPTB are pushing OWS people into a corner by not allowing them to peacably assemble. The authorities feel that they "must win" at all costs, even at the expense of citizen's Rights.
Today may very well be the tipping point...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
when I see these cops, beating on the protestors, its on.... Beating on people for assembling will be enough for me to support the people...

I kinda hope we see cops beating on citizens on CNN...

Maybe that will wake some of the idiots out there...

Now I mean beating on people just stainding there with their signs, not idiots that spit on the cops or whatever...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Reports are stating that a number of incidents have occured. I know that the anti OWS crowd will jump on this as evidence of the criminal element of OWS.

The thing I'm surprised about considering the number of days this has gone on for and how many people are involved, is how few incidents we have had.

Sometimes you have to stand up and say that you won't be pushed around or dicated to any more and if you look like a thug to others for not moving when the police tells you to - so be it!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I agree with you both. There comes a time when you can't be harrassed and manipulated by TPTB. They say they "allow" protests, but only if done by their rules. Well, that isn't an effective strategy for protesting in this political environment.

CNN is skirting the line with talking about violence from OWS people, and that the police just need to "protect the citizens". The cops were the first ones to use violence.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
been watching on cnn.
i think it's time for the feds to bus in the anarchists.

btw, has anyone heard mention of calling up the nat. guard anywhere?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

What national guard. One reason to keep all these wars and troops over seas is to make sure they can't defend their own people in their own country. The US government under Homeland Security has been pushing the idea that the veterans are and will be the real problem. Of course they will they are the only ones here to defend the US.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

They probably have a staging area where troops are on standby. TPTB will probably insert ringers to start violence so they will have an excuse to crack heads and try to shut it down. I just can't believe that they want protesters to abide by thier "rules". Protesters appear to be heading to Wall St. at this time.
I think it's a good strategy to keep the police moving around. It keeps them on their toes

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

yes, fully aware of all you mentioned.
yet, there is always a contigento of troops and equipment left behind.
mostly, calling on them is a good sign the governor is getting really nervous.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The protesters are turning more violent
at every turn..

This day of action I hope does not turn into
a circus fest with the Occu piers making
fool of themselves.

Breaking Police barricades, pushing police, blocking
roads and access to buildings is not non-violent..

These people have no right to impede upon others rights..

Things are getting out of hand quick, and the OWS protesters
are showing there true colors. A violent mob..

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

I have to respectfully disagree. The "violent mob" carries batons, and pepper spray. Have you not seen the Berkley students being clubbed? The women being pepper sprayed by the NYPD?
It's interesting that you have such a selective memory.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Yep, there's your "violent mob"

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

Spitting doesn't warrant beating either.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Live feeds...

www.ustream.tv... (from inside the movement) Chat comments are interesting.

www.ology.com...

cnn live streams
edit on 17-11-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It's interesting that this is a "Conspiracy" website, where alternative ways of seeing the world are encouraged. Alternative ways of living and seeing the world are promoted here in various forums. Was not the spirit of ATS in favor of uncovering corruption wherever it may be found, and tipping over the Sacred Cows? My interpretation is that this site exists to shine a bright light on these issues, and hopefully provide solutions and education through a community dialogue.
However, in the last few years, this site has been infiltrated by people who not only want to maintain the status quo, they want to tighten the reigns of the authorities.They want to see less freedom. They troll, and they try to spin the topics and threads to futher their own agenda. They distract people with superfluous comments and ideas.
I honestly don't understand this. If they want to maintain the status quo, they should go hang out at the Faux News website. Why stay around here where there are so many of us that they disrespect and seem to hate?
I suppose it entertains them to stir the hornet's nest. They enjoy the attention they recieve from causing strife.

This mentality shows them for who they are, and why they are the type of people who want to maintain the status quo.They're afraid, and they don't know how to process their fear into reason and wise actions.
They don't want any positive change. They want to cling to their childish, unrealistic, fairy-tale notions of "the way things used to be", or how they want them to be now, where everyone has to color within the lines with pre-approved colors, of course.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Thank you. Wish I had thought of those links. I was caught up in getting a cogent thread started. Thanks again!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
www.livestream.com...

This is the live feed for LA. I need multiple screens to watch all of this!
I hear Portland and other cities are getting more active as well.
edit on 17-11-2011 by moonzoo7 because: wrong feed. corrected.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
All seems rather peaceful so far, everyone should consider this a good day (on all sides) if it remains that way.

Few arrests, but no violent clashes.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonzoo7
www.youtube.com...

This is the live feed for LA. I need multiple screens to watch all of this!
I hear Portland and other cities are getting more active as well.

That is NOT from today's events.. It was uploaded on Sep 24, 2011

FYI

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

The less violence, the better for everyone. I couldn't agree more. If we can get throught the day without any major violence perpetrated by either side, then this is win. I don't understand why the authorities can't just step aside and let this happen. No harm is being done. And if the banksters have a bad day and lose revenues, well, they deserve it.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well the LA OWS, is a bust, the cops are arresting everyone..

wonder what the charges are.. here's a live feed.www.ktla.com... click on the morning news...

Btw union workers and normal people are getting arrested..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join