It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian envoy to NATO Rogozin proposes Slav version of French Foreign Legion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Envoy to NATO wants Russia to have its own version of French Foreign Legion

MOSCOW. Nov 16 (Interfax) - Russia's permanent envoy to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin, has proposed setting up a "Slav battalion," a Russian armed forces unit to be made up from volunteers from other Slav countries such as Serbia or Bulgaria, and has taken up the idea with Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov.

"I can't rule out that it would make sense to consider including units in the armed forces consisting of people who are not citizens of the Russian Federation," Rogozin told reporters on Wednesday. "I have discussed this with the defense minister."

The envoy said the proposed battalion could be modeled on the French Foreign Legion. "Why can't we set up, for example, a similar 'Slav battalion' from among Serbs, Bulgarian and other nationals, people who would have liked to serve in the Russian armed forces?" he said.

Members of the battalion would eventually be eligible for Russian citizenship, Rogozin said.

"I don't think it's a bad idea," he said.

Earlier, he put the proposal before a congress of Homeland-Congress of Russian Communities, a group of which he is the informal leader.

The "Slav battalion" idea is one of the proposals that Homeland-Congress of Russian Communities handed over to the leadership of the United Russia party. The proposals were discussed recently at meetings of United Russia clubs.

Being from Montenegro, close to Serbia, I think it's a very good choice if people of Serbia and other Slav countries [myself included] to be able to serve under Russian military. Having professional training with arms to be able to defend ourselves. Also having possibility for Russian citizenship, I think it has many advantages.
This proposal comes after
Over 21000 Kosovo Serbs seek Russian citizenship
which I think is a difficult task because Russia would be in a direct conflict with NATO.
Some are doubtful this would come into reality, but if it comes, I would do my best to enlist

edit on 11/17/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2011 by GakunGak because: (no reason given)

join