It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will you convince me... ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
How will you convince me that this chair infront of me is actually not here?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I wont. Who are we to convince you of anything anyway??

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Who is saying the chair is not there?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Seriously? This is overflowing with content.

Before I answer how, take a sip of this..

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I suppose I will play along.

I will first try the insane asylum argument.

1)
How do you know you are not 100% insane and delusional and are actually in an insane asylum and are not imagining all of this??

Really, how do you know that isn't the case?

Now, for the deceptive God argument.

2)
How do you know God isn't a deceiver? And that he created an entire fake universe just to trick you?

Really, how do you know for sure this isn't the case?
edit on 17-11-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

It is up to the individual to discover their own truth, people can slap you around all day long to make you believe and it won't work, you just get disdain for them.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant

How will you counter those two arguments?

I have great doubts you can.

Here folks, read this:
Important arguments from Descartes Meditations

I suppose we could toss in the
3) Dream argument

You could be dreaming all of this.
edit on 17-11-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The chair is not here because its there. Since "this chair", that chair, the chair you are talking about, is there with you it cannot be "here", but it is there. As far as how will I convince you that the chair is not there...

You are dreaming. You see the chair but it is only a dream and in reality chair does not exist but it does exist in your dream.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

There is no spoon...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant

It's not not here, but it and you, if you exist at all, can only exist within the mind of God and therefore consciousness, not matter, is primary.

stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

Edit: For further grokking (understanding), read Descart's "Principles of Philosophy" I think it is. He points out that while you have an image of a chair there, that the real chair, the objective reality of the chair, to exist in it's own right, must exist within a mind, and while he makes a good case, it's with the advent of modern quantum physics that his idea becomes a proof. So indeed, for there to be a chair, the actualized reality of both you and chair can only exist within the contextual framework of a transcendant, observing consciousness.

The real question is this - if there was no you in the mix, to percieve the chair, would or could there still be a chair? That's the question.

So I would purport that if you're ready to argue for the objective reality of the chair, you are also arguing for God, but a concept of God you've never considered before.

If you are an atheist, and you understand this, I won't need to convince you there's no chair, as you would rather switch your argument about the reality of the chair, than be forced to admit to the actuality that everything is God!

Best Regards,

NAM

edit on 17-11-2011 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I got wise and no longer bother trying to convince anyone of anything.

It could just as easily exist or not exist in some substantial sense of the word and make no material difference to your experience.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I will just hypnotize you and make you think nothing is there ..Then tie your shoe laces to the chair while your under
Have a nice trip..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
be forced to admit to the actuality that everything is God!

if everything is god, then everything exist since god exist, while everything is even in time not existing but negatively, only the sense of free pleasure or self enjoying things exist barely as living energy constancy

the problem is the lack of honesty, u dont say why do u care to know if the chair is real, bc u know ur own means as willing to ensure urself about the existence of objective positive sources that are not u, that is why too the thought of god existence please urself even when u know all what u must pay for that

very few are who accept subjectively to assume the responsability of being free, u barely accept the easiest part of it, which state then that anything u may do cant affect reality but u will never accept to initiate a positive move as free being logically would do
u keep waiting for objective sources to b slightly positive urself from where u would move a bit

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

In that case, I prefer to be an athiest that believes everything is God.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Describe this chair that you believe is in front of you and then we can get started .

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Practice OOBEing, and you will need no-one to prove anything to you, and will cease to ask halfway smart questions...

Akushla

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchdog8110
Describe this chair that you believe is in front of you and then we can get started .

if u describe smthg then u kill urself so how are u gonna start any? and how wat never started exist by starting? which answer the first question, u live actually by making such nonsensical sentences

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by absolutely

Originally posted by watchdog8110

if u describe smthg then u kill urself so how are u gonna start any? and how wat never started exist by starting? which answer the first question, u live actually by making such nonsensical sentences

You might want to re read the topic of the thread and ask yourself if you posted in the wrong place .

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The chair isn't there, it was never there. It is just a figment of your over active imagination.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
How about you convince me that the chair in front of you IS actually there? Given the present circumstances (blind posting on the net) you have a way further to go in the convincing stakes than I do.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join