It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your children will work each and every day until they die.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Actually a Doc told me if you make it past 60 with no significant health problems, then you will probably make it to 80 or 90 pretty easily.

It seems a dividing line is developing where people either develop significant problems in their early to mid 50's, or they don't and they live a very long time.

I've noticed that too. The baby boomers are dropping faster than their parents' generation in the part of the country I live in. I try to find the X factors and all I can think of are the changes in nutrition and increase in vaccinations that began around the mid 1950s or so. I see the products that became available in the 1950s and got to wonder WTH people were thinking...
urbantitan.com...

Might have something to do with the weakened immune systems of the baby boomer generation.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

What a future we're going to live in...

Future? I am 53 and that is what I am facing now, as are a lot of my generation. Everyone enjoying those $30.00 DVD players that NAFTA and similar treaties got us? I'd much rather be paying a hundred for mine and have a good job again.

When Bush came into office I was taking home $1300.00 a week for a guaranteed 56 hours a week. Since then it has been a steady drop. Now I live under the poverty line and no one wants to give anyone a full time job so that they can avoid benefits. But that's ok, whining about more time in my life away from being a wage slave holds no interest for me. Gives me more time to hustle a real living. In the last few months I have furnished my large house for free, traded my broken (and expensive to fix) sports car for an antique F250 Camper Special in good shape, pulled home 2 1/2 cords of firewood for free and my job lets me take home free food the day after the expiration date hits.

I have also found a very cheap way to build a house that is quite efficient thermally. Now all I need to do is get my hands on 40 acres of wilderness land.

A while ago I came to the conclusion that there is no point in keeping a bridge if there is no water under it. There is very little water underneath the working mans bridge these days, and it is a bridge I have always wanted to burn.

Life is perception.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I'm not 40 yet.

I had my first paper route when I was 4. I had two jobs in my life.
From ages 15 to 26 I worked for/with developmentally disabled children at a skilled care facility as a cna/lead cna.
From ages 26 to 37 I was a firefighter in the usaf.

I'm retired, with pension & benifits. I get a check every month.
I'm not rich, but rather middle class or "comfortably poor" I like to say.
I own my house, don't owe any bank any money for it.

It can be done with the right work ethics, and the right environment. An environment where people learn from their mistakes, and forgive others for theirs.

Worklife, professional life, is not always about competition.

Teamwork. What a concept. But what possible good could come from it?

Edit to add:

I would like to rephrase my "retired" statement. I am retiredish. I don't need to work now. I work to have something to do.
edit on 17-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
news flash, everyone works until they die , its called life. end of story

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RightWingAvenger

The perception of work must be changed. In reality with the population we have today there should only be a 15 hour work week. There are enough people to create the resources we need ten times over. But we choose to create more stuff than we need.

A 15 hour work week would be just as menial as a 40 hour week...but we as Americans insist on the capitalist religion. Our greenbacks our our faith. That's a damn shame.

I like this idea... Work less hours and hire more people so everyone has a job... Add social responsibility to businesses (banks included) and I'm on board...

I mean what is the point of working people harder when there is plenty of work to go around if we shared it?

It shows how much greed controls every aspect of our lives...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whipfather

Originally posted by TupacShakur
[...] I've talked to countless people who describe a profession, and when I ask why they're getting into it, they say somthing like "Cause I'm gonna make tons of money!"

Astrophysics for the win!

This.

I worked on campus at my university last summer, and most people I talked to were going to school for accounting or business administration. And upon asking, nearly every single one of them told me about how much they hate doing the math that is involved and how they are only doing it because "it's a safe and well-paying job."

It's absolutely sad how some people are willing to waste years upon years of their lives only to increase their chances of getting a bigger paycheck.

I wuv those type of people. They won't last a month and will guarantee that I have a long and interesting career as a menial accountant.Me? I am going for a Bachelors in accounting because I already do entry level accounting(familiar with it) and even though the math can be a bit tedious, the rush after solving a problem that washes away the pent up anxiety over the problem is purely sublime(sometimes I would dare say it is better than sex). + most people(regardless of age,gender or race) have a lousy work ethic.

Every person like the ones you described that I heard about, are now working at McD's and other such places. Employers can usually see through the flakes and dead weights. + If I have trouble finding a job I can always under cut the competition. I only really want to make 30k-50k(after taxes)[60-70k if I have to get my own benefits], so stealing a job from a 100k a year snob shouldn't be too hard..

bbl Elder Scrolls is calling me..

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Your children will work each and every day until they die.

unless you live in the UK, then your children wont be able to find a job to start with

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I planned on working till I couldn't work anymore. Idle hands are a bad thing and I like computers.

Retirement sounds effing boring.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

we have a little old lady in our sewing dept that turned 90 this year!! and there are a few of them that are close behind her... so, ya, I work with some people over the 80 year old mark...
I used to get ticked off about it, and ask the now 90 year old why she was still working...
well, she says that the only thing at home that she would have to do would be housework, and she hates doing that, so she is working!!!
if they want to be working that is fine by me! but well, it's a shame that in this country where there are so many younger people with their various ailments or problems, just not working, if these women are working because they have to to make ends meet!!! as far as I am concerned that little 90 year old can be at work everyday!!! what's the problem with the younger folks??

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

Wouldn't recommend putting all your eggs in one basket. If you put all your money in your pension, you have to have a lot of faith that your pension will actually be there at retirement time...

Personally, I like property. In different baskets (countries).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join