It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your children will work each and every day until they die.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
80 is the new 65

CHICAGO (Reuters) - When it comes to retirement, many middle class Americans said 80 is the new 65 and plan to delay retirement because of worries over money, according to a new survey. Wells Fargo bank asked 1,500 Americans who earned between $25,000 and $99,999 and ranged in age from 20 into their 70s questions about retirement, savings and Social Security for its seventh annual retirement survey. Three-fourths of those surveyed said they expect to work in their retirement years. One quarter said they will "need to work until at least age 80" to live comfortably in retirement. Of Americans who will work in retirement, "47 percent said that they are going to continue in the same job or a similar job of similar responsibility," Joe Ready, Well Fargo's director of Institutional Retirement and Trust, told Reuters Insider

ca.news.yahoo.com...

I was hoping that in the future that no one would be required to work anymore, now it looks as if the opposite will occur. Oh, and if you're thinking that this is just an effect of a down economy and that things will change...be prepared to be shocked. The job market will adjust to people working well past 65 until it is the new norm of the working class society. This transition will take less than 20 years before it becomes common place to work until you body simply can't function on the job for any longer.

What a future we're going to live in...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
yep, and it wont take long for the opposite to become the norm, people working fulltime 60-70hr weeks at the age of 12-13, which happens anyway around most of the globe. this will soon start to happen in our "first world" countries more and more.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

On average, 8 hours are spent working each day, and 8 hours are spent sleeping. That's 2/3s of our lives that are basically wasted (Unless you really love working and sleeping).

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

If you're not fond of sleep... what's wrong with you?

Next you'll say you don't like bacon.

Where does the madness end?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well yeah...I mean isn't this the obvious?

BUT...BUT - this will only hold true if the system can withstand all these hypothetical years in theory...

Let's be real here for a second. The system itself is on the ledge...THE LEDGE...on its dying last DYING breath...this includes the dollar and our entire political and financial systems...

I mean most of us are already working every day....

This is just a diversion....and what is being said should be blatantly obvious to most of us. As stated before though this all relies on the system withstanding its inevitable implosion....not going to happen and especially not going to be another 20 years. LOL , it will be lucky if we see another 2 years with the American dollar and systems in place (well not lucky..the opposite actually, but you get the point)............

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This is not progress, this is slavery to the ones at the top who never have to work a day in their lives and who benefit from all of our work. I for one would rather actually live and experience life than have running water.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HillbillyHippie1

No, this isn't slavery. In slavery the slaves didn't have to pay for their living quarters and means of transportation to their place of "employment".

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

The perception of work must be changed. In reality with the population we have today there should only be a 15 hour work week. There are enough people to create the resources we need ten times over. But we choose to create more stuff than we need.

A 15 hour work week would be just as menial as a 40 hour week...but we as Americans insist on the capitalist religion. Our greenbacks our our faith. That's a damn shame.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I don't have children.
does that mean I don't have to work?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Yes, I see this as "the future", but not my kids future. Though we know have access to knowledge that we never had before we choose to use if music, cat videos on YouTube, and online shopping.

We choose to be scared of our neighbors instead of starting a garden with them, we are afraid to spend time with our kids and teach them, what school is really about.

We have the notion that having more then we need makes you smarter then the person that lives from the land.

T.V is for entertainment, and not the "how to live your life" handbook.

WE can still change it. We can make a generation of thinkers, and not robots.

Here are a few ideas for that.

When you kids come home from school, ask them what they heard, and not what they learned.

Pick a holiday for giving... and give others, let them participate.

Tell them behind every story... there is another story.
And be that storyteller.

Allow them to speak to those that know. Those who have lived through hard times. If they think its boring, make it extra credit, throw in a "what did you learn sweetie" day.

Switch hard times to, there could have been worse times.

Hug alot, love alot, and show them that even though the world seems hard, that their choices, based on your teachings, can guarantee them a shot not to work when their 80, but thrive, and live, and to teach the next generation, that thanks to your parent/parents/guardian, you dodged a bullet.

And nothing can be better than that.
Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The Wife and I both pay pension payments every month, we will contribute to that over a 40 year career and get paid out when we retire, then theres state pension on top. I don't know what it's like across the pond but when you join a company in the UK, usually you have no option but to join the pension scheme?

If you don't provide for yourself you can expect to work until you die? Thats the way it is? Unless you have been unlucky and your pension is linked to the stock market. Then I feel sorry for you as you could lose everything.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well I'm only 24 so I suppose they would expect me to work til I die... The only problem with that is that I have this feeling that within the next few years America and most likely the world is going to be going through some major changes. These changes will hopefully end in a better life for us all. We'll just have to wait and see I guess, but I really hope I'm right. All I know is that I've never had "faith" in anything and I am really trying to have "faith" that it will all get better after it gets worse.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

If you're not fond of sleep... what's wrong with you?
Sleeping is a waste of time, plus I can't remember my dreams. But I love bacon.

I guess this goes to show that you'd better find a career doing something you enjoy. I've talked to countless people who describe a profession, and when I ask why they're getting into it, they say somthing like "Cause I'm gonna make tons of money!"

Astrophysics for the win!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by doomedtoday

Im gonna keep paying my pension, just in case.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

So.... whats so unbearable about a 30 work week, in AC environments, with minimum effort and health workers all around to insure that you don't even break a sweat as a job requirement...

Gawd, what a pansy world this has become.... in my younger days i had 4 rows of calluses on my hands
and thought highly of that accomplishment (hint: it also helped me to catch passes as a tight end)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
what is work ? sitting at desk all day ,digging a trench, replacing a head gasket.
Its only work if you dont like it.
Didnt 12 year old kiddies used to work in coal mines? i predict in the future more people doing less

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
[...] I've talked to countless people who describe a profession, and when I ask why they're getting into it, they say somthing like "Cause I'm gonna make tons of money!"

Astrophysics for the win!

This.

I worked on campus at my university last summer, and most people I talked to were going to school for accounting or business administration. And upon asking, nearly every single one of them told me about how much they hate doing the math that is involved and how they are only doing it because "it's a safe and well-paying job."

It's absolutely sad how some people are willing to waste years upon years of their lives only to increase their chances of getting a bigger paycheck.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

There is a word for people who do not want to work. In fact there are many words for them and none of those words are good. Hard work is a virtue. People who do not work are pathetic and sickening. Now, the question is when you work do your profit from your labor or does someone else? Those who profit from the labor of others fall into the first comments I made. People need to get off of this idea that success equals not having to work. There is no virtue in decadence.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The people that work until 80 have not adequately planned for retirement. If memory serves me correctly, less than 40% of Americans are saving and investing for retirement.

My wife and I plan on retiring at 62... we are working hard, scrimping and saving and investing now, so that we can live a good life in the future. Not an extravegant lifestyle, but one where I can sleep late if I want...usually that means sleeping in until 6:30am or so.

See, I don't know what it is to not work. I go on vacation and by the end of the week, I am ready to get back to work. Even on my days off, I work on my farm... and I love it. My parents are the same way. My dad is 83 and still has a big garden, cuts two yards, volunteers at church. My mom is 76, has had a stroke, but still volunteers in the community...helps at the fire dept fish fry, and helps put up the garden... this year she canned over 40 quarts of tomatoes. Oh... and they both walk 2 miles a day.

So...working in my retiremnt years... you bet. I plan on having my own produce stand down at the coast where we will be living... selling watermelons, cantaloupes, tomatoes and corn to all those hungry tourists and retired beach combers. Maybe sell some pirate flags, cement statuary of light houses and pelicans... Oh, I will only do that a few days a week... the rest of the time I will be crabbing, oystering, maybe sailing over to Ocracoke or down to Beaufort... enjoying a few Bloody Marys...

And I did it working in grocery stores, selling firewood, raising my own food, and being frugal as hell. If I can do it... you can do it... you don't have to be genius...just work hard now and save.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jcord

I Agree 100% jcord.

Thats what we had slaves for!!!.......Damn lazy slaves!!!!!.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join