It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Randi is a fraud!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I first heard of James Randi many years ago. My first impression was he's cool because he very cleverly exposed some fraudulent 'psi' people who were making outlandish claims. The program was on mainstream TV.
I saw him again a few years later and he had become (or certainly seemed to have become) smug and condescending, and seemed to take a mocking tone with anything and everything 'paranormal'.

Now, as I'm older and have lived & learned, as it were, I don't rush to judgement. I've seen some things first hand that our beloved science can't explain, resolve and wrap up with a pretty ribbon. I agree with Skyfloating's statement. There are people that possess incredible abilities that can't be simply dialed up at will.
Some of the best psychics don't even want to be psychic. They see their visions unexpectedly.

Randi thinks that if a person is psychic, they should be psychic all the time. Like bowling. A good bowler will always roll a decent score, won't they? The skeptics have their place. They help weed out the loonies and the con-men....but It would be nice to hear one of them admit that there just might be a chance of something unexplainable out there.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

I need to brush up on my greek!

Anyways, thanks, I figured it was more specific than that. I hadn't heard of psychic phenomena referred to as 'psi' before.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
James Randi was proven to be a fraud years and years ago. This isnt anything new. I agree with a previous poster about him having become smug and condescending of all things supernatural.
The supernatural is one of those things that if you have never experienced it, its hard to accept.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
If you want irrefutable proof of the existence of a form of ESP (known to yogis as "anima") that could enable people to observe (properly defined for quantum particles) and describe the subatomic world over a century ago in a way that is consistent with facts of nuclear and particle physics established many decades later (thereby ruling out a priori the possibility of cheating), then visit:
smphillips.8m.com...
and study the amazing evidence of how:
1. quarks were described paranormally 69 years before physicists Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig conceived of them;
2. isotopes were detected four or five years before they were even conceived by the English chemist Soddy;
3. basic constituents of atoms were described as "strings" 70 years before superstring theory was developed;
4. the atoms of several elements were detected decades before their discovery by chemists (examples here).

The relevant sections of this website are
Occult Chemistry
Remote viewing of atoms

As a quick taster, compare the computer-generated diagram
smphillips.8m.com...
published in a scientific research paper for an international conference in 2003 and depicting the gluon flux density of a Y-shaped configuration of colour flux tubes binding three quarks in a baryon, with a picture of the lines of force binding three particles, taken from the 1908 edition of the book reporting these observations.

Study the scientific analysis and explanation of these observations published in three books advertised at this website. Its positive conclusions were supported by a Fellow of the Royal Society and the discoverer of vitamin B12, an Indian Minister of Science, a deputary director of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre in India, a Nobel Prize winner in physics and other distinguished scientists. Even diehard sceptics of the paranormal will be amazed.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

Good post mate.

In the other direction what about Giordano Bruno. He "knew" about the greater cosmos without the modern means to measure the universe. Here's a quote from him.

In space there are countless constellations, suns and planets; we see only the suns because they give light; the planets remain invisible, for they are small and dark.

How do we suppose he knew this?

He was burned at the stake by the Inquisition, in 1600 at the age of 51, for proclaiming not only that the Earth goes around the Sun, but that the universe is infinite and contains an infinite number of worlds.

Today we have idiots like Randi who, as self appointed arbiters of "truth", persist in denying the limitless possibilities of the mind. We have a new inquisition - nothing but scum to my eyes - to rid the world of. Lets stop these pathetic deniers from holding us back!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
"Actually, that is just another false claim..."

False claim according to who? Mainstream science? The same mainstream science who tells us the fluoride in our water is "good" for us? lol really?
edit on 21-12-2011 by AgnosticWarrior because: I accidentally messed up the quote thing.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
double post
edit on 21-12-2011 by spoor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
He has no intention of ever giving anyone a million dollars...

Because there is no such thing as psychics.... so none of them will ever demonstrate their claims under controlled conditions!

He is nothing more than a real life troll, just trying to hassle people

Actually the ones claiming "psychic" powers etc. are the real life trolls.

Remember, Randi has $1million that any real psychic etc. could very easily win, but funnily enough all who have tried have failed, and the real psychic frauds like Geller do not even try, as they know that they would fail!
edit on 21-12-2011 by spoor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by spoor

Ever consider the possibility it's rigged to fail?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
People keep posting that Randi's a fraud and it's been known for years; how is he a fraud?

edit: aside from the OP
edit on 22-12-2011 by foreverbores because: Wanted to clairify something

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgnosticWarrior
reply to post by spoor

All the "psychics" have to do is exactly what they claim they can do - but they are unable to do even that, you also ignore the fact that anyone tested has agreed to the conditions....

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by foreverbores
People keep posting that Randi's a fraud and it's been known for years; how is he a fraud?

By simply pointing out and showing that psychics are just faking it, and people who believe in psychics do not want their beliefs destroyed, so they claim Randi is a fraud, with zero evidence to back their claims up.
edit on 22-12-2011 by spoor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by spoor
reply to post by spoor

James Randi not a scientist. He is a pseudo-skeptic and a complete liar. It's as simple as that!

There is nothing wrong with exposing frauds. However, lying to pretend Psi is not real makes Randi a fraud too. That's it. Game over. He is a fraud.

Yes there are frauds around. Yes there is Psi. Yes there is mountains of evidence that there is Psi. See my posts above if you are interested in the truth.
edit on 22/12/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander
reply to post by spoor
reply to post by spoor

James Randi not a scientist. He is a pseudo-skeptic and a complete liar. It's as simple as that!

There is nothing wrong with exposing frauds. However, lying to pretend Psi is not real makes Randi a fraud too. That's it. Game over. He is a fraud.

Yes there are frauds around. Yes there is Psi. Yes there is mountains of evidence that there is Psi. See my posts above if you are interested in the truth.
edit on 22/12/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

YUP, KNOWN FOREVER THAT RANDI IS A FRAUD.

However, in his defence he is a fraud

No, seriously, Randi (was probably commanded) has to keep the lid on it all until the Elite deem the time is right and someone will be conveniently chosen to win the $1million. The people would freak if the lid was lifted off without acclimatising the planet first. There would be no more free will "to believe" or "not believe" the paranormal realms it would be solid FACT!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Who did stanton friedman best? there was someone. was it Randi?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
James Randi is an idiot.

Every test he does is flawed and geared towards smearing the psychic community.

There is a HUGE difference between being a skeptic (which he claims) and being a cynic (which he is).

Just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hold on a second. What "joy" will Rupert Sheldrake get from arch skeptic, Chris French? hmmm..

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think the beliefs of those people working with Randi are immediately projected onto whoever the claimed psychic is. In addition the psychic lives in a world surrounded by disbelief constantly anyway, two factors that could disempower the psychic from accomplishing thier "proofs"

I believe in a collective human consciousness type energy. It's a broadband energy consisting of the heat our bodies emit (Infrared light), a subtle magnetic interference from the hemoglobin in blood(fact!!), and an attenuating of microwaves because of the water in our bodies. I think whatever these forces or energies are that we posess as humans, multiplied by our human population of 7billion makes for some cumulative total "energy effect" which is what I think human collective consciousness is. Also, there is a bone in the nose called the Ethmoid that contains magnetite and the human brain can be sensitive to magnetic pulses applied to the temple in that those pulses can affect decision making ability. I think these factors are at surely at work when it comes to devising and testing some method of proving psychic abilities.

Also, any tests like this, wherein the intentions of certain participants is Required......can't really fit into any conventional scientific test methods because the individual is a dynamic factor, constantly changing from one moment to the next. In general scientific studies need constants so they can solve for variables. In these cases, the psychics are multidimensional variables that complicate any experimental method.

I think the beliefs of others around you can affect the way you feel or act or respond to stimulus. Imagine the psychic travelling through a world of disbelief to the test location, where there are more disbelievers inside waiting for them. The disbelievers have a world of others beliefs supporting them and the psychic has only them self, plus maybe a coven or meditation group sharing their beliefs, plus some crazies, and maybe a spirit guide or two in support of their side. The odds are stacked very unfavorably against the psychic being able to prove anything in the face of such opposition.

Just because these types of paranormal activities or powers haven't been proven does not mean in my mind that they do not exist. I think psi stuff is still a bit of a black swan......for now.
edit on 12/22/2011 by balanc3 because: typo

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoor

Originally posted by AgnosticWarrior
reply to post by spoor

All the "psychics" have to do is exactly what they claim they can do - but they are unable to do even that, you also ignore the fact that anyone tested has agreed to the conditions....

Even if they both agree. Who is to say that even if they pass, they are marked as failed?
Randi's tests results don't match StarGates test results.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

i've heard of people wanting him to test them but he's refused
it sounds like he may be scared he'll have to give up his million bucks

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join