It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Voting Strategy? Voting Online?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I was thinking that we do a lot of secure things on the internet these days, from banking to business using strong encryption and other things. Why cant we do presidential elections online these days?

Using something like your drivers license number, SSN, and a security key, and monitoring ip addresses that you are given by being registered voter? There would be some people trying to scam and illegally ramp up the votes and such, but it can be shown that these methods are not effective in making fake online polls. So even if someone tried to use a fake DL number, they would still need an SSN, and a security key and be stateside to put in the vote...thoughts comments..?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

This isn't a good idea. If voting went online, only the owners of the website and servers could count the votes, which they would probably lie about. Paper ballots are counted by US citizens and are therefore the only legitimate and safe way to vote.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

That is probably exactly how it will go down in 2016.

The IRS and Department of Education have no problem managing databases of millions with unique identifiers and PIN numbers. Many voting booths are now electronic and connected via networks.

Online voting is just around the corner. Too late for 2012, but it is coming very soon.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Figzer

That makes sense, I would not be surprised if they outsourced the online counting system to another country who would have nefarious purposes..

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I don't bank online....I don't ever put my social security number online.....I don't belong to Facebook or Twitter.

So...there is no way I am going to vote online. I vote by mail.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
rigg

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Banking online -> Voting online. Of course it's possible. But who wants that?
They don't want that because that will lead to 'direct democracy' in the future. Do u get it? I mean if we start voting online people will ''wake up'' and say: ohhh so it's secure...ok! let's do ''online referendum'' to the major decitions (or whatever) you guys are taking over there in parliament etc. THEY DON'T WANT THAT - they don't want DIRECT DEMOCRACY!
As i said, voting online is possible but can u be sure that what u vote is what is counting? Hell no! In order to do that your vote has to be no secret anymore. Do u want that? What is that mean? If you vote for somebody or some kind of laws everyone should be able to see what u vote for. In this way is almost impossible to fraud. People like their votes to be secret because they are afraid ( that maybe they can get fired etc), ... this is the system in witch we are living in.
My english is not so good but hey i hope u understood what i was talking about.

new topics

top topics

join