It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember When?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
So after a rather angry thread, I was reminded of some things and thought it would be a nice change of pace to reminisce about things we remember/miss. From a simpler time in our past.

I remember sleeping out in the back yard during the summer with friends. We would listen to our radio on CKLW out of Detroit and listen to the mystery theater. We would run around and act stupid most of the night until we plum gave out.

I remember when I was about 10 my brother, a friend and I went to the river to go fishing. We were heading back, walking the railroad tracks. After a while an engine came down the tracks. The engineer stopped and asked us if we wanted a ride to our drop off point. Boy were we thrilled! he told us all about the engine and how his shift normally worked. I'll bet that doesn't happen today.

I remember walking across town (probably 7 or 8 miles) and being given a ride. I was about 14 at the time. This happened quite a bit.

I remember neighbors making cookies or candy apples and passing them out to the neighborhood kids. If you did that now they would probably accuse you of trying to poison them!

I remember being to poor to buy 45rpm records, so we recorded songs from the radio, and we were not threatened by RIAA!

What do you remember?
edit on 11/16/2011 by haarvik because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I remember all the stores in our small southern town being closed on Sunday. The only thing open was the drug store, and then it was only the grill and soda fountain. we didn't have fast food places in our town, so if you wanted something... you would go to the grill at the drug store.

Real handsqueezed lemon-ades and orange-ades, buttery grilled cheese sandwiches... or hand dipped ice cream on those little golden cones. It was quiet in town except for the bell ringing from the church. You would see kids riding bikes down the street, and people really did sit on the porch and wave... really.

I also miss Shearon's Grill over in Rolesville,NC. He wore a white shirt, grease stained white apron and he smoked a cigarette while he cooked...but his burgers were the best. He ran the grill out of a little white cinderblock building. The drinks were reall shaved ice and he used paper straws...didn't have plastic ones at the time. His burgers were typical of NC ... a beautifully grilled patty of ground beef, topped with cheese...chilli, mustard, onions, and slaw. .. served with golden crinkle cut fries in those little red and white checkered trays with wax paper. In the summer, all the tobbacco farmers and their help would pull up and there would be a waiting line wrapped around the building and many would be eating off of the tailgates of the pick up trucks they rode in on.

I remember going down to the gas and coal company with my uncle and getting a huge block of ice from their cooler. We would come back home and my aunt would chip the ice into small chunks and put it into a bucket. Then we would fix and pour our ice cream mix into a hand turned freezer, pile the ice and salt around the container and slowly turn the freezer by hand...we would do this for about 20 minutes or so...my brother and me would see who could turn the longest before we stopped. then we wrapped the freezer in a towel and let it set up.

finally, after another 15 or 20 minutes...it was ready! My aunt would take a big ol' army spoon and dip out globs of homemade ice cream... sometimes it would be banana or vanilla or chocolate. She was never afraid of flavor so vanilla was really vanilla... and what a suprise...she would then pull out a homemade pound cake out of the oven...sheer heaven on earth.

Yup... I grew up in Mayberry...or at least a town very similar to it. I never realized how lucky I was until I grew up.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
So after a rather angry thread, I was reminded of some things and thought it would be a nice change of pace to reminisce about things we remember/miss. From a simpler time in our past.

I remember sleeping out in the back yard during the summer with friends. We would listen to our radio on CKLW out of Detroit and listen to the mystery theater. We would run around and act stupid most of the night until we plum gave out.

I remember when I was about 10 my brother, a friend and I went to the river to go fishing. We were heading back, walking the railroad tracks. After a while an engine came down the tracks. The engineer stopped and asked us if we wanted a ride to our drop off point. Boy were we thrilled! he told us all about the engine and how his shift normally worked. I'll bet that doesn't happen today.

Are you kidding, he'll be unemployed in a heartbeat. In this climate of "don't trust no one" he would have to be insane to pick up kids.

I remember walking across town (probably 7 or 8 miles) and being given a ride. I was about 14 at the time. This happened quite a bit.

I remember neighbors making cookies or candy apples and passing them out to the neighborhood kids. If you did that now they would probably accuse you of trying to poison them!

Yep you probably would be accused of such due to the climate of "don't trust no one".

What do you remember?

I remember playing baseball during the summer in the field with the other neighborhood kids after all our chores were done. Oh now that's a dead and gone word, chores. Most kids today are not required to do house and yard work but yet they are rewarded over and beyond. I remember me and friends walking to the neighborhood store in which the owners knew each child and parent by name. Buying Fanta sodas in 12 ounce long neck bottles and then returning the empties for 5 cents a bottle. Let me not forget the caramel candy on a stick with a nickel in it.Oh my that candy is gone because it would be a choking hazard not to mention how many would object to money being in their candy.

Picnics at the lake in which my brothers took me on rides with them over the trails in the woods on their mini-bikes. Unfortunately today that same park does allow motored bikes and is roped off so people don't park under the trees, nor can you fish off the pier anymore, long gone are the many blankets under the trees with big picnic baskets.

I remember Christmas Eves I wouldn't be able to sleep. I wanted to know who was leaving the gifts under the tree, I had to see who was leaving them Momma and Daddy or that strangely dressed fat guy I took a picture with at the department store.

I came along towards the end of the Five and Dime stores. I loved going with my mother to those stores, they had all kinds of odds and ends. Momma would go there to buy sewing accessories and I would get to wonder around wide eyed. In a nutshell I miss the innocence from my childhood and I feel so sad for the children today who are rushed straight into adulthood before they are out of diapers. OP, thank you I really enjoyed reminiscing about bygone days.

edit on 16-11-2011 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Rolesville is still a somewhat quaint little town. I used to live near there. now with Raleigh, Cary and Knightdale encroaching, it will only get swallowed up in that mess and truly lose it's identity. It's a shame for Rolesville.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Wow... good to meet you, haarvik. I grew up in Wake Forest... back when Forestville was still a community and not just a road name. Yes, Rolesville will get swallowed up... just like Wake Forest has.

I am so glad I came along when I did... all of the things I loved about that area are gone. That is why I moved to a place that still has most of those things. A place where people still gather at the country store and talk and they really do play checkers, talk, and drink coffee. A place where kids still go fishing, folks still visit on Sunday afternoon, where stew sales at the fire department are the big social event of the week, where people wave when you pass each other on the road, you actually know the folks that bring the mail to your house, and where the upcoming Christmas Parade is filled with fire trucks, tractors, horses and hunting clubs, where local clubs raffle off hand made quilts, country hams, handsewn "raggady ann" dolls, and everyone flys an American Flag... and proud of it.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Yeah I moved to a nice town as well. Not really that small in size, but still a quiet little town. Now my kids can run the neighborhood like I did growing up. Where we were at there was just too much gang violence. I didn't want my kids growing up in that environment. We have nice parades and people are friendly. You walk around town and not have to worry about getting mugged. This town reminds me of mine growing up.

new topics

top topics

join