It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use of terms like "BREAKING NEWS" or "HAPPENING NOW!" in headlines.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Maybe I'm being picky, but somebody else out there is bound to agree with me on this..

While browsing in recently active discussions, I've noticed the use of terms like "HAPPENING NOW" or "BREAKING NEWS!" in a topic's headline as a way to draw attention to a topic..

Am I the only person who's annoyed by this? When a topic has a headline like this and becomes popular, we end up with a news story that's several days old with a headline along the lines of "WATCH IT LIVE HERE"..

I mean we already have a forum for breaking news, so I don't understand people's need to re-iterate the fact, especially when the label sticks around long after the story becomes old news..

just my peeve I thought I'd share...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'd like to see a date put along with those headlines if people are going to keep using them. The only way to tell if it's really "happening now" is if there's only a couple of replies.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I'd like to see a date put along with those headlines if people are going to keep using them.

You mean something like THIS "posted on 16-11-2011 @ 10:02 AM"

Which is at the top left of every post?

Just saying...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

yes, but that only appears when you're already reading the thread.
I'm talking about when browsing the recently active discussions list. Go ahead and look; there are a few threads there now with BREAKING or NOW! in the headline. It's kind of annoying is all, and I personally think it shouldn't be allowed, as it doesn't add to the quality of the thread. It detracts from the overall user experience of ATS after a period of time.
edit on 11/16/2011 by DISINFORMANT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DISINFORMANT

I generally avoid threads that contain all-cap headliners... or those that make statements of the absolute.

Bad title examples:

BREAKING NEWS! - Nope, next thread...

XXX Solved - Yeah, like our species can even learn to tie up a laced shoe anymore, much less solve something more difficult. Next thread.

xxx Explaination - Please, let's not try explaining anything. Offer your opinion, ask for others and set it free. Next thread.

xxx Expert Says - Anything that has been worked over by something called an 'expert' is usually nothing more than an opinion that is being applied like a bludgeon. No thanks, next thread.

I HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS!!! - Logging off for a cold beer. Maybe that one will be off the front page by then...

Obligatory Disclaimer:
That's just me; my opinion. You may enjoy those headers.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I don't mind: "Breaking News".

I hate: "BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!OMG!!!!!!!!

Maybe it's just me.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

can i add the use of :

owns

schools

teaches

in thread titles really annoys me - usuaslly political diatribes

and as for :

best ever

must see

PROOF!!!!!!!!!!

they make my head hurt

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I gave you a flag, and if the stars button thingy was there you would have gotten a star from me as well.

It looks like ATS is a playground for social experimenters, because they are deliberately doing it to get more attention than the thread deserves. It could be disinformation agents in training or it could be bored high-school kids, or very attention needy adults, it is probably a mix of all of the above.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISINFORMANT
reply to post by zorgon

yes, but that only appears when you're already reading the thread.
I'm talking about when browsing the recently active discussions list. Go ahead and look; there are a few threads there now with BREAKING or NOW! in the headline. It's kind of annoying is all, and I personally think it shouldn't be allowed, as it doesn't add to the quality of the thread. It detracts from the overall user experience of ATS after a period of time.
edit on 11/16/2011 by DISINFORMANT because: (no reason given)

Says the guy with the words "BREAKING NEWS" and "HAPPENING NOW" in the title of his thread.

JK.

You do have a good point, it does get annoying to see the "happening now" thread about something that happened a few weeks ago thread on the list of current topics. Maybe the mods should remove that part of the thread title after the event stops happening and becomes old news.
edit on 11/18/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
PROOF!!!!!!!!!!111

is the worst one, I think if we really did have proof of whatever all these threads claim then ATS would be shut down by now with lack of things to talk about.

personally I view a melodramatic headline as a warning sign that who ever wrote it has a very limited grasp on what there writing about and probably on reality too.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
One question for all you peeps against sensational headlines...

When you see such a headline... do you avoid the thread? Or do you look at it?

Be honest now
Because I am sure you look at it, otherwise it wouldn't annoy you...

So if you look at it, you have just proved that sensational titles WORK

Perhaps that is why even such worthy publications like Scientific American use titles like;

NASA's mission to bomb the Moon: Scientific American

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

a sensational headline in a newspaper or magazine probably would make it more likely I read it but at ATS I don't read them anymore.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I don't mind the sensational titles. I've used that tactic myself a few times.

What bothers me is the threads that say "happening now" or "watch it live" and when you click on it, it turns out to be a few weeks old or the event is over and you can no longer watch it live as promised.

There should be some type of expiration period after which the part of the title which indicates "happening NOW" disappears to let us know its old news.

top topics

join