It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook requiring aphone number confirmation.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Facebook requiring aphone number confirmation.

www.facebook.com

Verifying Your Account
Basics » Mobile
Expand All · Share
Verifying Your Account
I just signed up. How do I verify my account?
After you log in, you can verify your account by adding a mobile number to it. Enter your mobile number, starting with the country code (ex: 1 for US numb...
What's the difference between confirming my email address and verifying my account?
After you create an account, you'll need to confirm your email address so we can make sure we're sending information about your account to the right place...
I didn’t receive a code to verify my account.
If you're
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Tried to log into facebook on my desktop today and facebook wants a phone number confirmation? Tried to log onto facebook from my phone and again facebook wants a phone number? No more facebook for me. If I log in from my cell then their server should already have that number? Why does facebook require this? is it for tracking me, my posts and my contacts? Or ?

www.facebook.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Hasn't asked me for anything. Are you sure you didn't accidently sign up for the mobile app?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I don't use Facebook, so I can neither confirm or deny this.

If, however, this is true, it seems in line with recent proposed legislation to make it a crime to open an account using false information.

I personally believe this is all part of a movement to get rid of anonymity on the internet. This makes it easier to identify and track anyone and everyone on the internet. The worst part about the whole thing is most of us willingly give away all of our personal information with no idea whatsoever of the potential negative outcomes of doing so.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by partycrasher

Gmail from google also now requires this to verify you aren't using multiple accounts. Is it possible that your account was reported for some reason? Is you facebook user name similar to a celeb?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

If this true, then I am happy I cannot use facebook because I am phoneless lol

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This is just the start.

Pretty soon this will be required from most sites.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I deleted an old account I had then started a new one (with and old nickname and no pic linked to a hushmail acc) just to get a couple of peoples numbers, at the end of the registration process I had to confirm my mobile number by receiving a text. If i remember I think I was allowed to post but got the captcha each time until i did this step.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Facebook amended it's Terms & Conditions recently to include this requirement. It's basically so they can sell you phone number to a marketer who will then sell your information to somebody else, who will then in turn try and sell you something via your phone.

Facebook has made all of it's money on data mining. So has Google, tis the way of the internet when it comes to free service.

I would suggest you sign up for Diaspora if you have issues with FB.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I've had Facebook ask for my phone number a few times, but I just skip it. Havn't had any problems doing that.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Here's an article about Facebook wanting people's phones...It's an old one though, and is only about having to type it in for certain apps.....It seems like they've been wanting phone info for a long time now, but havent known how to go about getting it. Still, though...I could log into facebook just fine from my laptop today. I'm having a hard time connecting with my phone at the moment, but it seems like a Network problem, as it just won't load....if it asks for my number though I'll edit this with that info (if it ever loads up!
)
articles.cnn.com...:TECH
edit on 16-11-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: Had to fix my 'mad' face

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

It is a good thing that I grew up in the day that I know what a library is and know how to use a card catalog.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
What if you are using a Ipod? That dunt have a phone number...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I deleted an old account I had then started a new one (with and old nickname and no pic linked to a hushmail acc) just to get a couple of peoples numbers, at the end of the registration process I had to confirm my mobile number by receiving a text. If i remember I think I was allowed to post but got the captcha each time until i did this step.
reply to post by trustnothing

This is when you want to add your number optionally so you can get notifications and comments through txt, you can easily skip that.

It is not an actual requirement YET...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Facebook already has your first name, last name, address, IP address, list of your family and friends, your employers, your favorite foods, and possibly even your mothers maiden name.

Whats the harm in giving them one more piece of information?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
try to get on facebook NOW

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
I don't use Facebook, so I can neither confirm or deny this.

If, however, this is true, it seems in line with recent proposed legislation to make it a crime to open an account using false information.

I personally believe this is all part of a movement to get rid of anonymity on the internet. This makes it easier to identify and track anyone and everyone on the internet. The worst part about the whole thing is most of us willingly give away all of our personal information with no idea whatsoever of the potential negative outcomes of doing so.

I'm with you on this,

I came off around 6 weeks ago, don't miss it at all and find it all a bit tedious and sinister,

They have my info now regardless, but it's now one less media they can spy on me through!

People ned to learn to become the social animals we're supposed to be and get off the web "Narscism" springs to mind,

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Thanks for the heads up- S & F. One more reason not to put personal info out there for any stranger to see- the world isn't that safe. I agree with many of the reasons given here for the change, but it could be, amongst other things, that Facebook is having some problems with law enforcement- the police & others do look for criminal activity on the web, & go to social network sites to help locate suspects. One more facet of Patriot Acts I & II amongst others (it's hard to keep up with them all).

I don't really use Facebook at all- it's handy to get in to "like" certain businesses for free food & the like. My account has nothing on it whatsoever, but it's amazing how ex-friends & people I barely know who are hard on their luck keep emailing me "friend requests". I just won't be using Facebook any more, then. The last thing I need is for these people to be trying once again to horn in on my life, let alone calling me!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Stefri

Which is why I use fake info. Like I was born in Columbia, South America.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Sometimes it's better to never log out of sites, once you're on to them. I have a cell phone, but I don't have service at my house. I have to drive 1/2 hour to get service. Plus, any text or call I receive on the phone, I have to pay for.

I don't even log out of this site anymore, it's too hard to get back in, sometimes it doesn't want to accept the password, even if right.

Now I can't ever log off facebook, if I want to see all the newest pics of my grandkids

What a stupid policy they're putting in place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join