It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safe locked for 20yrs finally opened thru a statistically improbable event!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Yesterday I was visiting my aging Father and we were discussing projects he needed done around the house. While we were talking he got a phone call. I didn't really pay attention to who he was talking to but as he was talking i looked down at the safe, twisted the knob left once, right twice, left once more and I felt/heard a click and VIOLA! The safe is magically open.
The story behind the safe isn't weird other than my older brother removed his items one day and lost the little piece of paper with the combo on it. Every once in a while I would break out the stethoscope and try my hand at safe cracking to no avail.
I am truly amazed as well as my Dad who immediately sent me to go purchase his lotto tickets!

Since nothing like this has never happened to me I don't know what to make of it just yet so i wondering if anything like this or statistically impossible has happened to anyone on here?
I'd also like to add that I have never known the combination so its not like a subconscious thing where i turned the dial to the correct numbers out of some memory. The safe was strictly used by my Dad and Brother.

Thanks
edit on 16-11-2011 by overseer1136 because:

edit on 16-11-2011 by overseer1136 because:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Statistically possible to just randomly guess? Well its would be the amount of numbers multiplied by the amount of numbers, multiplied by the amount of numbers.. I believe. Though cracking safes are extremely easy. Who needs a stethoscope.. I use my ear, and the feeling in my fingers. I always say, "theres nothing in this world I couldnt get into, or out of.". And im sticking with it

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
What was the probability of opening the safe? If it is a four digit code, then its 1 in 10 000.
edit on 16/11/11 by Maslo because: typo

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by overseer1136

Just because the odds might be a million to one (completely depends on the type of lock and number options) that doesn't mean your first random try won't work.

It's pretty amazing and I would also start buying some lotto tickets, preferably using the numbers of the lock combo, but that's me

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Unfortunately I was looking at the handle and not the combo knob because I did not expect to open it.
Life is amazing in all its surprises.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Come on now, how are you gonna leave us hanging? What was in it?!?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

the mind is a crazy thing. imo its the fact that you did not look at it. the numbers were in your head all along. i see this daily i work in a meat dept. and all the item we sell have a four digit code number. theirs hundreds of them. i find if i try to remember a number i have not used in some time i draw a blank. but if i just go and type the number i get it right or close to it with no conscious memory of the number. but its in there somewhere
edit on 16-11-2011 by amtarcher because: (no reason given)

well dam it you edited it and add that you never knew the number. you sure you never looked at that paper?
edit on 16-11-2011 by amtarcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

the turin shroud, a unicorn horn and a tuft of werewolf hair
edit on 16-11-2011 by heathwithnoteeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

i sublimanally sent you the combination,so now you owe me half of what was inside!!!

nice job anyway!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Reply to post by heathwithnoteeth

I think the OP was so stoked he forgot to look inside. Ill have to wait another 20 for his reply

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Amusing little story, but I'd say it's just one of those lucky accidents. Kind of the opposite of when something bad happens because of a series of unlikely events.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

this was going to be my 2nd guess but that his dad subliminally sent him the info.
still want to know what was inside

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
He said in his opening post that there was nothing inside. His brother had removed all the contents, then lost the combination.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by amtarcher

I do remember looking at the little piece of paper once when I about 11yo however the safe was still being used until i was 17. That's when my older brother removed his money and left town with the combo. The brain is an amazing thing.
As for what was in it? A lot of collectors coins and one is a possible 69-s Lincoln cent with a doubled-die obverse.
There were also some pics of Vietnam that i will NOT be posting on the web as well as various property deeds. Nothing really cool. I'm sure my Brother removed anything of immediate value and kept the combo to hide what he did.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by heathwithnoteeth

We keep the shroud and horn in the Gun Safe

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
He said in his opening post that there was nothing inside. His brother had removed all the contents, then lost the combination.

My brother removed his contents not all. He had rent money which he paid dad and dad put in the safe. The point was a lesson in responsibility which failed miserably as big bro took the money as soon as he found out Dad was keeping it for him in the safe.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by heathwithnoteeth

i already got all that in my safe! i`m just waiting for my grandfather who passed on to send me the combination!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Years ago I overwrote an Autoexec.bat file on my computer and all it would do upon startup was scroll autoexec.bat at 500mph down the screen. I called a tech friend at Microsoft and he said I was in big trouble and would have to take the drive to a recovery expert as there was no way to fix what I had done That was very expensive back about 20 years ago so I just figured I was screwed. That night I woke up out of a dead sleep and ran right to the computer and started it with my toe as I hit control alt delete. Three tries later I got my boot screen back and was able to rewrite the file.

My friend at Microsoft could not believe what I did. He was one of the first 50 employees.

The brain is a strange toy. My guess is that at sometime in the past you saw or the combo but the brain did not file it someplace easy to find. I am certain that we forget nothing, we just forget where we put it.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Cool story. However, the chances of defying 1 out of 10,000 odds (or greater depending on the lottery) again were pretty slim, so I would say it was foolish to go out and buy lottery tickets afterwards.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Do you remember the combo now?
Because if you didn't, you still don't have a working safe and all that it is, is just a dust magnet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join