It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors Demand Ban On Smoking In Private Cars (UK)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ClydeFrog42
reply to post by akushla99

I think you all have it backwards.

Research funded by National Medical Associations always conclude that smoking is harmful, in any form.

Research funded by the Tobacco industry always paints second hand smoke as unharmful. Usually, they will have people in government support their research, because tobacco sales and taxes brings in more money for both of those groups then anything else.

Seems obvious who has the ulterior motive.

Ill come back with some sources and examples, so i dont just sound like a jerk.

Ulterior motives are hard to dismiss...on both sides!
Radiation is harmful in any form...feel like trashing all your tech stuff, that produces radiation?
Keep any of that stuff close to your lung region?
Do you like, or have you ever sat on the corner of a busy road, drinking a latte?
When you pump fuel onto your car, motorbike, lawn mower...do you hold your breath?
Do you, or have you ever used enamel paints, and if so, did you wear a mask?
Have you ever worked in an office building that was air conditioned?
How many hours on average, a week, do you spend sitting in busy traffic?
And for how many years has this been the case?
In how many situations do you encounter a microwave cooker, per week?
(this includes home ovens, shop ovens, gas station ovens, cheap restaurants, etc)

If you calculated the accumulated effect of all of these causants to cancer, divided them by 2, removed 50% to be overcautious...

You would still be dead.
...and I didn't mention cigarettes once!

It is hardly researched properly when, a lobby group, which pressures the government to mandate on a particular issue...having a stated position on the SOLE cause of lung cancer being smoking...do not research the factors everyone is exposed to...the research suggests that...whether you smoke or not, you are a candidate for lung cancer (this is the message everyone knows)...and the fairly recent, 'passive smoking' shift, seems like a desperate way of justifying the research, which says...smokers and non - smokers are at risk of contracting lung cancer...to what degree, that is a good discussion...

There is no question, that, subjecting your body to any 'foreign' substance, especially in regular amounts, is taxing to the proper operation of the machine...but, if I take my car to a mechanic, and he diagnoses the problem with it, and he is wrong...then I will gracefully let him rectify the mistake (hopefully for good)...by eliminating the possible causes of the problem...and in this way one reaches the likely cause/s. it is being suggested that, for the smoking issue, this is the case...when really, it isn't...

I don't think you're a jerk.

Cheers
Akushla

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Smoking in a car with a child in it should be banned. Smoking in a car without, though? As much as I despise smoking, that's going way too far. If someone wants to kill themselves smoking, let them.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

you know - I might be wrong here but it seems to me to be extremely fortuitous to the pharmaceutical companies that HPV has finally be identified as the definitive cause of lung cancer, oral cancer and throat cancer.

Now - although they might lose some sales out the 2 billion annually in quit smoking aids - I am confident that they will force everyone to take the HPV vaccine.

You know, after a lifetime of being told I would get lung cancer if I continued to smoke, being villified as a causer of diseases and murderer of innocent children, being banned from enjoying myself in a public venue with my friends - I feel so drained.

Someone finally stood up and flat out said that smoking has its benefits and that HPV is the villian of the day.
and that someone is an oncologist registered with the British Medical Association.

Wow!

BTW - the British Medical Association has now retracted its press release. Smoking in cars is only 11 times more toxic than a smoky pub. (yeah right - like now they can be believed!)

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks

you know - I might be wrong here but it seems to me to be extremely fortuitous to the pharmaceutical companies that HPV has finally be identified as the definitive cause of lung cancer, oral cancer and throat cancer.

Now - although they might lose some sales out the 2 billion annually in quit smoking aids - I am confident that they will force everyone to take the HPV vaccine.

You know, after a lifetime of being told I would get lung cancer if I continued to smoke, being villified as a causer of diseases and murderer of innocent children, being banned from enjoying myself in a public venue with my friends - I feel so drained.

Someone finally stood up and flat out said that smoking has its benefits and that HPV is the villian of the day.
and that someone is an oncologist registered with the British Medical Association.

Wow!

BTW - the British Medical Association has now retracted its press release. Smoking in cars is only 11 times more toxic than a smoky pub. (yeah right - like now they can be believed!)

Tired of Control Freaks

I don't like control freaks, either. I also don't like that both my mother and father smoked in the house and in the car from the time my two brothers and I were born until we moved out of the house. I have a photograph of my mom holding me the day she got home with me from the hospital. I'm in her left hand, a cigarette is in her right hand. All three of us have asthma (we never "grew out of it"), we all have severe allergies, and I have had decreased lung capacity all of my 45 years.

But there's no way any of that could be attributed to being subjected several times a week to a 36 square foot, enclosed space filled with cigarette smoke for the first 16 years of my life. No way whatsoever.

Adults have a choice to smoke if they want to. Children are forced to breathe that disgusting crap. A person's right to not breathe cigarette smoke trumps a smoker's right to breathe it. Particularly when that person is a child.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrnotobc

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by mrnotobc
I wouldn't remove the cigarettes, I'd remove the commie ass health care.

BTW I don't smoke, and I don't have any health insurance. It's my choice, but probably not for much longer. Before long the government with dictate our every move, and it will be for our own good.

Commie ass healthcare?

You utter moron, that commie arse health care stopped my Mum from being paralysed, saved my life and my sisters and helped my Grandfather have a dignified death.

You should think before letting your either one of your brain cells allow you to mash your nonsense on the keyboard.

Please explain why you're so important that someone else that doesn't know you should be responsible for paying for your #?

We're all responsible for paying it.

I'd rather have a public NHS than a private one, otherwise we might end up like America and we all know how dodgy their system is. With corruption, insurance and greedy bastards.

Thank god the Uk still has the NHS.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

The Old American

There are several problems with your logic.

1. Exposure to second hand smoke DOES NOT cause asthma. This is admitted even by the American Lung Association. You see the incidence of childhood asthma has increased by 800 % since the 1960s, this occurred despite the fact that smoking in the general population DECREASED by 50 % over the same time period.
This is not my opinion, this is fact - see the link

chestjournal.chestpubs.org...

2. The children of smokers suffer less asthma and atopy (allergies) than children who are never exposed to second hand smoke.

This is also not my opinion - this is the result of a number of peer-reviewed studies - see the link

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...…pubmed/ 11422156

I am sorry your sick - but you can stop blaming your parents now!

You state that non-smokers have the right to clean air - Can you tell me where you get that notion? Is it in the consititution? You see - the right to clean air is called a positive right. In order for you to have that right - then someone would have to be responsible for ensuring that you had clean air to breathe. Who has that responsibility? What if someone farts in your air space - who is responsible for ensuring that you are not bothered by someone else's pollution?

When you enter into a public space -do you consider yourself more important than others? What gives you the right to say whether I can smoke or not?
Do you have the same right in regard to whether others will operate their vehicle or run their factories - why are smokers "different" in your eyes.

If you believe that I have the right to smoke until the effect reaches your nose - then I have the equal right to believe that you shouldn't be putting your nose right where I am smoking. Do public places belong to you?

I have a contract - do you know what a contract is? Its an offer of something, an acceptance of that offer and an exchange of value (money). Someone (the government and the tobacco companies) offered to sell me cigarettes, I accepted that offer and I paid money to seal the contract. Under contact law - I have the right to consume the products I legally purchased. Who are you to say I can't?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Maybe Old American - you should just stop blaming smokers for everything that is wrong in your life!

Children have been raised around smoke for millenia. Smoke from wood burning to heat homes and provide fuel for cooking. Smoke from BBQs. Smoke from campfires, the burning of candles in their homes, the burning of incense in their churches, the burning of coal and oil. The burning of gasoline to run vehicles.

And you decide - based on the very very flimsy evidence of observation studies and a great heap of propaganda. Somehow - it makes sense to you - in the presence of all this other smoker - that the one source of smoke that is to be blamed for all disease and discomfort is the smoke created by burning less than 1/2 an ounce of dried leaves??????

After a lifetime of harassment and vilification - I am here to tell you, flat out - I AM NOT TAKING YOUR # ANYMORE!!!!

Before you dare to ask me to put out my cigarette "for the children" - you damn well better be prepared to give up your car "for the children' and that includes buses and other modes of public transportation.

Lets not put all of the sacrifices for children on just one group of people - if you are so concerned about children - it is time for you to walk or ride a bus.

Who the hell are you to tell me that my pollution "hurts" children and yours doesn't!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

reply to post by mr-lizard

I'm in charge of your country's health care. One day I ban smoking. It's for the better good of the collective, don't you know comrade. Everyone that doesn't smoke is happy, and since that's most people who cares?

Oh boy, now we just isolated the gay gene. The gays rejoice, It's proof being gay is natural they claim. Not so fast, I'm the health nazinator, and I say the gay gene is a defect which we'll require testing each pregnancy for. Abortions are mandatory, but it's free comrade so who cares.

You may not understand the my point, but I hope most Americans do.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Wow, defensive much?

You'll need to reread what I wrote. I said nothing about clean air. I said a person has more of a right to not breathe smoke than a person has to breathe it. A person has more of a right to not breathe car exhaust than a person has to emit it. A person has more of a right to not to put toxins in their body than a person has to spread them around. I can't really put it any more clear.

Some light reading for you:

How Smoking Harms Babies in the Womb

Smoking During Pregnancy

Mothers' smoking during pregnancy reduces their babies' lung function.

Mothers Who Smoke While Pregnant

Children born to mothers who smoked while pregnant, and possibly children whose grandmothers smoked while pregnant, have a higher risk of developing childhood asthma.6,7,8

Oops! I'm seeing a pattern here! Let's not even go into the 3 times increased risk for SIDS.

Blaming all my problems on my parents? Not all of them, but most, if not all, of the breathing issues of ALL THREE of their sons? Yeah, my 3 pack a day (combined) parents are to blame. But how you got me blaming all problems on smokers just smacks of drama. Quit being so defensive, man! Live life to the smelliest...er...fullest!

/TOA

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Yet many of the outrageously hypocritical politicians who voted the ban on smoking in public places into law, smoke in the Strangers Bar at Westminster Palace...

www.youtube.com...

And here's a book that should be read by anybody who's curious about the prevalence of cancer...

Dr Mary's Monkey

The 1964 murder of a nationally known cancer researcher sets the stage for this gripping exposé of medical professionals enmeshed in covert government operations over the course of three decades. Following a trail of police records, FBI files, cancer statistics, and medical journals, this revealing book presents evidence of a web of medical secret-keeping that began with the handling of evidence in the JFK assassination and continued apace, sweeping doctors into coverups of cancer outbreaks, contaminated polio vaccine, the arrival of the AIDS virus, and biological weapon research using infected monkeys.

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321598404&sr=8-1

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Doctors are about as dangerous as generals because **WE** give them too much authority.

I mean, come on, let them say what they want and express their scientific knowlege (or opinions or whatever)

I don't care.

Who died and made THEM GOD though?
The person they failed to save?

When I go to the doctor, I listen and I decide. Not him or her. ME. Last word. MINE.
Don't TELL me what I'm going to do in my car or home. Oh heck no.
Why do people even START to put up with THAT?

I don't even smoke, but oh heck no.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Absolutely I am defensive! I have been robbed and figuratively raped here.

Excuse me - but "they" have written many many books explaining all the diseases that are caused by smoking including lung cancer.

"they" were ALL WRONG!

What makes you think the ones about smoking damaging the lung function of fetuses are right! And can you explain why asthma as INCREASED as the smoking rate has DECREASED during the last 50 year or so? Why don't you recommend a book about that?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
When it comes to smokers having a fag in the car it's no big deal. I'm a smoker. (Trying To Quit) But for someone to come out and say they will enforce their will and ban you by law from exercising your personal right then that's going too far.

Smokers like myself will never smoke anywhere there are children and or non smokers in the area, including their personal property such as their cars. It's common courtesy and it is also common sense.

This is just more ways the government have to reduce your liberties and take away your freedom. The UK is becoming more of a facist state. There is no democracy here anymore. Then again there wasn't much more before. Look at the voting system. Do people actually think that people like Cameron get voted into power? Not a chance. People in the UK vote because they are given the illusion that their votes count. Utter rubbish!!

Now, we are all given the Illusion we live in a free and democratic society in the UK. Only one word for that. BOLLOCKS!!!

Our freedoms are being taken away from us bit by bit. This is just one in a long line of soon to be banned freedoms we have.

Just to remind us that 'They can screw with us any time they like'!!

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join