It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors Demand Ban On Smoking In Private Cars (UK)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Doctors Demand Ban On Smoking In Private Cars (UK)

news.sky.com

Doctors have called for a ban on smoking in cars, claiming it exposes people to 23 times more toxins than used to be found in pubs.

The British Medical Association briefing paper claims children are at the highest risk from second-hand smoke because they absorb more pollutants.

The new briefing paper, also said the elderly are vulnerable to respiratory problems caused by passive smoking.

Dr Vivienne Nathanson, the BMA's director of professional activities, said smoking causes over 80,000 deaths every year in England.

"The UK made a huge step forward in the fight against tobacco b
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
www.telegraph.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk
www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Here in the UK, draconian authoritarian rule is becoming more evident day by day now.

Our choices, freedom and common sense are being replaced by authoritarian rule.

What happened to freedom of choice and common sense.
I know lots of smokers and they would not smoke in the car with children present but happy to when on their own.

So what is the problem with that ?

Well choices are not good enough now. we are to be dictated to.

The interesting point on this story is that the BMA (British Medical Association) is pushing for this to be made into law and it may well actually happen.

I know people from the USA will be reading this thinking, it is not happening to us but it is only a matter of time.
Once one country makes it law you watch how many other countries that will quickly do the same.

This news item is currently on every news channel and in every news paper so it is quite a big news story at the moment with a lot of people for and against the ban.
When driving into work this morning they were even debating it on the radio.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
god this country just gets worse and worse. who the hell are they to tell us what we can and can't do in our own cars when we're alone.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny
god this country just gets worse and worse. who the hell are they to tell us what we can and can't do in our own cars when we're alone.

The same people that tried to tell us that we needed to pay tax on land that they werent even living on.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
they should stick to pill pushing for big pharma.. thats about all most western doctors can do theyre clueless when it comes to examining and treating patients..
otherwise they'd know better than spout such idiocy.

Hell get rid of cars they pollute far more than cigarrettes do.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I get the OPs point but what exactly do the authorities gain by making this law happen?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Just listened to the debate on 5 live. I can understand that people should not smoke if they have children in the car, but if they are on their own, it should be of no concern to anyone. You would have to be pretty irresponsible to smoke with kids in the car, I hope most people in the UK are sensible enough to know the dangers. No law enforcement needs to be implemented on this issue.

One oncologist argued that a cigarette could actually help some people who get stressed. Stress also being a contributing factor to getting cancer.
edit on 16-11-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I like a smoke. Wish I didn't. But I hate it when people try to tell me what to do. Like they have a right to tell me I can't smoke my cigarettes in my own car? That has to be a joke.

Cigarettes are bad for us. They cost tons of money in hospital expenses and ultimately tons of lives. So why don't they just ban them altogether? That would help me. If cigarettes just didn't exist in the shops that is most of the problem solved, isn't it? Of course you'll get lots of people peeling bark off trees and rolling that up to smoke, but you get them types anyway.

It's just another sign of our extremely sick and twisted system that THEY can tell you where and when to smoke, even in your own vehicle, and ultimately your home, telling you you're a bad person if you break the rules, BUT THEY STILL WANT YOU TO BUY THE CIGARETTES. It's like offering choccies to a dog then slapping it's face when it takes them.

What we must do is keep buying the fags, but don't smoke them. Yeah, that'll work. HAHAHA.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Found this pretty disgusting really, even tho I've given up smoking I certainly do not feel the need to impose the way I want to live on other people.. I really am beginning to hate the know it alls.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
When it comes to having kids, or non-smoking passengers in the car, I agree. I am a smoker myself (trying to quit), and I grumbled when they introduced the pub smoking ban....but it worked, pubs are so much more enjoyable now that they are smoke free.

It's only a matter of time before fags are banned full stop, and to be honest, I would welcome it.

More money, better health, less of a burden on the NHS.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
But surely you have no problem with heroin or coc aine or other such drugs being illegal? Everyone knows smoking is just as bad, it's just common sense. It DOES kill you, it DOES cause serious health problems, and it DOES make you addicted.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
When it comes to having kids, or non-smoking passengers in the car, I agree. I am a smoker myself (trying to quit), and I grumbled when they introduced the pub smoking ban....but it worked, pubs are so much more enjoyable now that they are smoke free.

It's only a matter of time before fags are banned full stop, and to be honest, I would welcome it.

More money, better health, less of a burden on the NHS.

Cigarettes will never be illegal. Those companies have way too much pull.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I agree. Someone should ask our great leaders why they still sell cigarettes. Aren't they drug pushers?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I agree with you point on the health effects of cigarettes, But when it comes to driving a vehicle, it's not the same as doing heroin or coc aine and getting behind the wheel.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I have a drug addicted friend who has battled all sorts of addictions most of his life.
He still insists the hardest habit to kick is cigarettes.
If the government is really so concerned about the smoking publics health why don't they-

A- Make it illegal. Stop the manufacturing of them & collecting the HUGE amount of revenue from them.

B- Supply quitters with smoking cessation aids such as, patches, nicotine gum, tablets ,support etc, for FREE.
This would show real support for the people that will truly struggle with quitting.

Oh, & for the anti-smoking fanatics rubbing their hands in glee at this news,just remember, its only a matter of time before they target your 'indulgence' whatever that may be...
If people can't legally smoke in most places, they will have to pick up the lost revenue from somewhere....

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by trollz

I agree with you point on the health effects of cigarettes, But when it comes to driving a vehicle, it's not the same as doing heroin or coc aine and getting behind the wheel.

Well of course you're not impaired when smoking a cigarette, but the ability to drive the car isn't the issue. It's the fact that cigarette smoking causes health problems not only for the smoker but for the people around them. These health problems are a legitimate concern, especially when they involve children, many of which have to ride in a car with an adult that smokes inside the vehicle.
If a nuclear power plant was dumping waste into a stream, would you let your child drink the water downstream from the plant? Probably not, because that sounds gross. Cigarettes are just socially acceptable.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
If this is the logic the BMA is following then they should also be calling for a ban on all alcohol sales given the harm it causes...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
reply to post by trollz

I agree. Someone should ask our great leaders why they still sell cigarettes. Aren't they drug pushers?

Yes, they sometimes are drug pushers, but as e11888 said, the companies responsible have too much influence. I believe certain laws need to change that prevent companies and businesses from influencing politics so much. Let's have common sense create laws and regulations, rather than money.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I wonder if there was a huge traffic jam and all the cars were idling in their queues and every driver lit up a cigarette and opened their windows, what exactly is the most dangerous stuff getting breathed in?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jewells
I have a drug addicted friend who has battled all sorts of addictions most of his life.
He still insists the hardest habit to kick is cigarettes.
If the government is really so concerned about the smoking publics health why don't they-

A- Make it illegal. Stop the manufacturing of them & collecting the HUGE amount of revenue from them.

B- Supply quitters with smoking cessation aids such as, patches, nicotine gum, tablets ,support etc, for FREE.
This would show real support for the people that will truly struggle with quitting.

Oh, & for the anti-smoking fanatics rubbing their hands in glee at this news,just remember, its only a matter of time before they target your 'indulgence' whatever that may be...
If people can't legally smoke in most places, they will have to pick up the lost revenue from somewhere....

I was a smoker myself for several years and quit cold turkey, so I fully understand how difficult it is to do such a thing. I find myself wondering if cigarettes are made outright illegal, what would this do to crime statistics? Would people not start robbing and stealing and funding drug dealers in order to get their fix of cigarettes? If they really are more addictive than other drugs that give people problems, this may be a major consideration. I think the best thing to do is keep it legal so as not to incite a black market, but make it difficult or inconvenient. If you have to walk 5 minutes to designated location A or B to have your smoke break, you may decide it's not worth the hassle and stop.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join