It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vulnerabilities of Us Power Grid Identified

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
September 3, 2004

A catastrophic failure of the entire system can result from loss of as few as two percent of the grid's substations, finds research team. Vulnerabilities inadvertently built into the US power grid, which is one of the most complex systems ever constructed, have been identified by a research team lead by Reka Albert, assistant professor of physics at Penn State. The team's topological analysis of the grid structure reveals that, although the system has been designed to withstand the random loss of generators or substations, its integrity may depend on protecting a few key elements.

www.continuitycentral.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The power grid is not the only thing that is vulberable. I'm sure there are a million things that are just as easy or hard for terrorists to attack. It would be impossible to guard effectively everything that could possibly be attacked. But if they did attack the power grid, how long would it be affected? Don't you think we'd be able to fix something like that pretty quickly? And there is always a chance of intelligence getting some word about a pending attack (which we take much more seriously nowdays I'm sure), like revently when NY cops arrested those guys trying to buy explosive making materials. There hasn't been an attack in the US for 3 years, if these Moslem terrorists were so convicted and smart, I'm sure they would have been able to pull something off.

My two cents.

new topics

join