It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless (Aboriginals) moved on ahead of Obama visit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Homeless (Aboriginals) moved on ahead of Obama visit

www.news.com.au

HOMELESS people are being moved away from Darwin's city centre ahead of US President Barack Obama's visit tomorrow.

The traditional land owners, the Larrakia people, have been asked to encourage the homeless to leave places on the president's program.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:www.abc.net.au
edit on 15-11-2011 by WakeUpRiseUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Well clearly the man who has allowed the bombing of thousands of peoples homes into oblivion isn’t up to see homeless people.
The article states that it is the homeless being asked to move, but I think it is directly targeting the aboriginals. They would make up the majority of homeless in Darwin and the government has been trying to hide them from cities for years.
If you want to learn about how 'Australians' treat the original custodians of the land we stole in modern times, please read some of the following links:

www.abc.net.au...

www.abc.net.au...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.australian-news.com.au...

www.larrakia.com

Much like Americans, we Australians treat our native friends of whom we butchered like pieces of crap. It seems to be in the national spirit to laugh in their faces and slam them for the problems we brought to them.

I really wish that people organised a protests against Obama, but the Australian government showed us with occupy that they do not allow free speech.

www.news.com.au

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

How can they be leaders if people can't follow them? ... Or they can, but just at a distance far enough to be out of the range of the "leaders'" senses.

This isn't too new. World "leaders" have been doing similiar stuff like this for thousands of years in hundreds of countries.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Well, you know those homeless people trash the place up! Obama is a Head of State, and seeing that kind of stuff might upset him as he's not accustomed to it.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I don't think they should sweep the homeless under the rug for his visit, but I don't think he should come at all. I disagree with you blaming all of us caucasian Aussies for current Aboriginal problems. Yes, in the past they were treated horribly and so many are yet to recieve recognition for that - but I dont think its fair that those of us now get painted with the same brush as those who behaved so badly when the british settled here. I have grown up with aboriginals, my best friend for many years growing up was one too, she was lovely and so was her family. But i've also had many bad run ins with strangers who have also swayed my opinion on them. At the end of the day, theres d-bags in every community or every gender of every race all over the world.. Its not our fault our ancestors were d-bags too so you can't blame us NOW for why there are aboriginals homeless NOW.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WakeUpRiseUp

Well clearly the man who has allowed the bombing of thousands of peoples homes into oblivion isn’t up to see homeless people.

It's Obama - not Bush!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

The only thing I've seen them lead is all these people into homelessness.
Of course it’s nothing new but it’s still disgusting.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Apparently you've had your head buried in the sand for the past 2-1/2 years. Iraq and Afghanistan are still running as usual (under Obama), plus that warmonger has ordered people killed in Pakistan, Libya, and now Congo. You're right, it's Obama, not Bush. Obama is a bigger killer and hater of homeless.

link   

S&F, Wake,

This is disgusting and obscene.

And I would like to know the truth - were they 'asked' or were they forced?

Obama should see things as they really exist.

What is with this crap about cover-ups when someone 'important' visits?

Also, what will become of these people? Obviously no-one cares.

link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

It's Obama - not Bush!

I dont know what rock your living under but Obama has been responsible for plenty of death and destruction. Well not him exactly, he's only a puppet; but he still enables it.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I really wish that people organised a protests against Obama, but the Australian government showed us with occupy that they do not allow free speech.

www.news.com.au

Oh dear.

May i ask which state government was involved with the Occupy protest directly, to which didnt involve te fact that its illegal to camp in the CBD(s) (For Melbourne specifically since 2007)? - However this is off topic on of the article, and your direct inference.

Disclaimer - I cannot think of a viable solution to this problem personally, i have my ideas, but all of them involve some part of a "lose" scenario, to which i too if it was my descision would be condemned as a racist.

Now in regards to Aboriginal affairs, its really strange (and i think this might require another thread, mods if yoiu think so please delete everything under this).

I've seen this type of discussion come up on serveral different boards i have visited over a vast number of years, each of course with different spins on it, and yet both sides have not really given a solution to the problem, its more about the hatred of each side (bleeding hearts (i dont know how to describe them) vs current government & Aboriginal Rights vs Current Government).

How i am not against equal rights, nor am i agains the Aboriginal people regaining their sacred sites, here is a few simple facts of what has been tried:

1. "The Reserve" (Akin to the US Indian Reserve System) - the NT & WA governments 'gave' (a better term needs to be sourced, 'gave back'?) the Original Land owners their land back (yay!) and said "you can self govern within reason (meaning as long as you dont break our laws in our lands, you are basically free to do as you where back in you spiritual days", then after 12-18 months the UN came along and did an audit, and found these people lacking medical, educational and housing support, of course change was demanded, and the government of the day was condemned (Labor).

2. "The Intervetion", upon the UN report the federal government (under John Howards rule) setup an intervention to allow the AFP and government services to go into these communities and uphold governmental laws, enforced health checks, and started the standard educational system 'everyone else' has. UN did another audit found it was too harsh, and demend change, the government of the day was condemned. (Libs)

So we (as a people) can't leave them along to their own devices (which i can assure you some tribes are left alone by their choice, a choice to which i completely respect and personally have learned a LOT from), nor can we intervene, so may i ask WakeUpRiseUp, if you where in charge what would you do?

Edit - Memory Fail :/

The aboriginal people i have spoken too (the Traditional ones), have actually said and i quote "we just want to be left alone, to do what our ancestors did, roam the land and be its caretaker" - But that was only one tribe.
edit on 15-11-2011 by Spruk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
So there's thousands of Afghani & Iraqi homes been bombed to oblivion by the USA in the last 2 1/2 yrs?

How come we all missed those raids on ATS??

Shame on you guys for not bringing them up on breaking news!!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

"He's" already here sadly enough, the US has had bases in America for ages now. Funnily enough the US government actually stole 900 acres of land from a NT farmer for something like $400 so they could build a base on that land; he wasnt given a choice.. I wonder if he is one of those homeless people?

But we are responsible for the problems they face today, if we didnt come steal their land they would probably be living happily like they had been for upwards of 50,000 years.
I think we should be held accountable because majority of us are still racist pricks towards them, obviously not everyone but a large amount.
Just like you I've known many great aboriginals and met a few bad ones, but to be honest I have met a lot more bad white people.
Although its not our fault its still our responsibilty. Even more so for the fact that we refuse to do anything about it. If we took action and were actually supportive then I would say that its probably ok, but were a long way away from that. No matter what anyone says a majority of aussies are racist.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Cowardly reply. So, are you saying Obama has been sending over games of Trivial Pursuit to the Iraqis and Afghans? He didn't order U.S. troops into Libya? He didn't order troops into Congo, into Pakistan? Oh, that's right, Bush is still President. Didn't know you went into a time warp. It's 2011, just so you know. Obama has been President for almost 3 years, and has escalated the U.S. invasions into foreign countries. Just thought you should know.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The Northern Territory is no different to a 3rd world country in Africa... Just ask the United Nations apparently who wanted to get Rudd for crimes against humanity a year or so ago. They should of thought ahead and started clearing the streets two weeks ago. Don't forget to check the bushs either and the road islands and the burnt out cars.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
We shouldn't throw stones from our glass houses here and our problems regarding the aboriginals are far reaching and complex, we are not blameless as a people for allowing our own governments to hash up the system...
but, there's a lot of people who don't want Obama here at all, check you radio phone in polls ABC, and I caught a whiff the other day, (wish I could find it again) that America is looking at setting up 3-4 new 'super bases', can anyone confirm this? I know they've been here for a while already but to increase their numbers here?!? what for?
This bugs the sh1t out of me in a worried kind of way.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Couldn't agree more mate
You forgot red-necked racists, it's embarrassing truly

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
""This is one of the facts of life when the president comes to town," Mr Henderson told ABC radio.

"That happens everywhere in the world, not just here in Darwin."

I hope he reads this to his kids at night, just so they know how it all goes...
I can't believe he said that!

Those people need to spread the word and invite their entire families for the event, after all Obama's important isn't he?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I do not see what the big deal is to be honest.

This happens anytime a President visits a place. It has nothing to do with Obama. Usually it is the host City that does this at the State level. It happened when Bush would visit places, Clinton, Papa Bush, etc etc. This is a very common practice and it should tick people off. However, it has nothing to do with the President or the Federal Government. It happens everywhere, even in every city in the US.
edit on 16-11-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Oh I agree completely with how you say the vast majority of us are racist, i've had to delete many people of facebook because of the crap they spew. I've too met more white jerks, but that could be because i've met more white people. I think Australia in general IS a racist country, sadly, a lot of it is carried through from parent to child - you should hear some of the things my grandparents and great-grandparents say! so not politically correct! I think it's a S*** situation for all involved. They still blame us for how things are, and wether or not that's our fault now, something needs to be done. I watched show on BBC called 'tropic of cancer' and 'tropic of capricorn' and In one ep they went through Uluru, and right on the other side of it there is an aboriginal community that the tourists never see where there is drug and alcohol abuse amongst many other problems, and that really says it all - I think we as a country need to stop pushing aside the issue and figure some way of fixing it so the stigma that's attached to both our sides doesn't continue on for another 200 years.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join