It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the statue scene staged?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Um. If you were an Iraqi civilian would you run out into the city centre square as soon as the US tanks arrive?
Wouldn't you wait to see if it was safe first?
Maybe that's why the crowd wasn't as big as some of you seem to expect. The fighting in Baghdad was still going on. Did you expect the masses to hit the streets?
So it was a crowd made up almost exclusively of males. Wouldn't they be the first group of people to come out onto the streets? Did you expect to see a mixed crowd with women and kids? In a warzone?

I watched the whole statue incident as it unfolded. It wasn't a case of US troops pulling up and taking the statue down. The Iraqis started attacking the statue 3 hours before. It took them over an hour before they even managed to get a rope around it's neck. Even I could see that it was an amateurish job. The rope was never going to be strong enough to pull the statue down. It wasn't even long enough for a start.
After the first hour the base was attacked with a sledgehammer. It made a dent in the base but, again, was never going to bring the statue down.
It seems only natural to me that the Iraqis should approach the US troops to help them in bringing the statue down.
Staged? Well, from seeing just how many atatues have been bought down, it seems like me that this is the first way that the Iraqi people can get revenge on Saddam.
As for this particular statue? I'm pretty sure that if it was a staged event, they would have done a much better job of demolishing it and they wouldn't have hung the Stars and Stripes or the Iraqi flag on it. The flags were clearly an impulsive move. When you stage something it's normally planned. Nothing that the US has done in this war so far has been as poorly planned as the pulling down of a simple statue.
Look for your conspiracies elsewhere. There isn't one here.

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 08:21 PM
link   
no its not fake, let me guess the clothes were too good for the iraqi's or the flag was blowing but it wasn't a windy day when it happened, if we're gonna question this event lets question the iwo jima flag raising as well and every other event that occurs when the US triumphs this is just more left-wing anti-bush rhetoric

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Also to ad to my last post, you can see that one statue is in a uniform or suit while the other is in some type of robe. One is brought down with the help of the US, the other is brought down by the Iraqis alone. I am sure there are also more than 2 statues shown being brought down, but I haven't been able to pay enough attention.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Since we are on the subject. Here is a site that has a cool morphing graphic. Looks pretty damn close.

www.libertythink.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noone
Also to ad to my last post, you can see that one statue is in a uniform or suit while the other is in some type of robe. One is brought down with the help of the US, the other is brought down by the Iraqis alone. I am sure there are also more than 2 statues shown being brought down, but I haven't been able to pay enough attention.

There are literally 100s of statues of Saddam in Iraq. On the same day that the one in Baghdad was coming down, the people were also demolishing one in Najaf. There was another one demolished in Kirkuk yesterday that made the same sort of news.
It's hardly suprising to see two statues coming down on the same day when there are so many of them and the cities have been taken so quickly.
Like you said: You haven't been paying attention. I would have thought that you would have at least tried to research the facts before posting some crappy conspiracy theory. If you knew what you were talking about you would at least be aware of that facts.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 12:14 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Hey leveller

Is saying that the statue wasn't staged a conspiracy theory? Perhaps you should stop insulting people are read what they typed. I think your insult just backfired and hit you in the ass. Now go back and re-read the thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I don't consider it an insult. And it's precisely because he typed that he couldn't even be bothered to pay attention that I made the point.
Why try to make a conspiracy out of something if you haven't at least tried to check the background?

As for my opposing view being a conspiracy theory? Well let's look at it like this shall we?
I watched the whole thing unfold on 3 TV channels over 3 hours. I read newspapers. I read the net. I watched other events and tried to decide what impact they would have on this particular subject. The evidence is overwhelming.

There are conspiracy theories and there are facts. Some people just don't like to accept the facts. That's OK in my book - everyone is entitled to an opinion. But you have to at least try to back your opinion up. To say you "weren't paying attention" about something and then make a claim is kinda lame whichever way you look at it.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
...and the Fascist swallowing a propaganda show for the Western Audience.
Three groups...two hate the hell out of So Damn Insane....one lives better than the other two because of him but still ain't bananas over him.
Those Shiites & Kurds will shout "Bush Good!" Of course, and kiss every soilder they can get a lip on. Those Sunnis, well...you know.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 05:50 PM
link   
There are statues and murals being taken down and defaced all over Iraq, there's alot more than just the event in Baghdad. I'm sure there are those that aren't happy with the US presence in Iraq, but it seems the majority are enjoying their opportunity to express themselves without fear of retribution, just look at all of the looting. I dont think the looting is right by any means, but can you blame them? That is the result of years and years of opression just spilling out of these people, and the same goes with tearing down these statues and defacing the paintings.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Leveller

What I said was that I am sure it was more than 3 statues shown being torn down but could not confirm it because I haven't had time to pay enough attention to TV (and more so wouldn't want to be bothered) but concluding that because it is more than one statue it explains the reasons people thought it was a conspiracy, and thus disproving the conspiracy. So I don't really know what you are talking about and accusing me of spewing out conspiracy theories. I really think you need to re-read all the posts to get a better idea of who is saying what. You probably have people confused as to who is saying what as well as exactly what they are saying.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join