It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Love - How is it defined?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Matthew Henry was a 17th and early 18th Century minister of the Gospel in Chester, England, and died in 1714. Quoting Charles Spurgeon: "First among the mighty for general usefulness we are bound to mention the man whose name is a household word, Matthew Henry. He is most pious and pithy, sound and sensible, suggestive and sober, terse and trustworthy...."

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
edit on 15-11-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
You asked a question and then gave the answer.What were you trying to do?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love

If it wasn't for those 3 things i'd just stay in bed and die. There would be no point in me even trying to live this life. Because i love Yeshua ha Meshiach i give my life to him, i give it to him for without him i am nothing. Many people will walk through this life and never understand that. If i could have one wish in all of eternity it would be to kneel at the feet of my King and never get up!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
dopamine

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
You asked a question and then gave the answer.What were you trying to do?

I was attempting to be rhetorically literal.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
dopamine

A thousand
's for this

Everything we feel in life is the result of chemical reactions within our own brains
edit on 15-11-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love

If it wasn't for those 3 things i'd just stay in bed and die. There would be no point in me even trying to live this life. Because i love Yeshua ha Meshiach i give my life to him, i give it to him for without him i am nothing. Many people will walk through this life and never understand that. If i could have one wish in all of eternity it would be to kneel at the feet of my King and never get up!

God's love is amazing. We can never fathom the fact that we were given life and given grace with free will. Love is patient with us as grace is unmerited favor. Love is kind as we are unkind. Love is keeps no record of wrongs when we recognize this gift within the context of God's amazing love. I am with you. This is astounding.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
dopamine

A thousand
's for this

Everything we feel in life is the result of chemical reactions within our own brains
edit on 15-11-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

True, but the fine-tuning of emotion can be compared to smell or taste. Faeces sinks, yet a flower smells lovely. Why? There is no reason for this other than programming of the information that controls our reception of information. Laughter is good, but not when directed at a weak person. Morals control our emotion in ways that preserve dignity. Why? I can feel attraction to the opposite sex in a healthy way, yet unhealthy attraction leads to disease. Why? Again, programming is specific to purpose and design.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I think each person defines love for themselves. There is no universal definition of love. I don't understand the drive to get everyone to give up their individuality and live under the same structure, with the same beliefs and the same God and the same definition of love, morals, marriage, etc.

Love can't be defined for everyone. And my definition certainly doesn't come from a book, but life experience.

Live and let live.
Love and let love...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
For a moment there, I thought I stepped into a cyber wedding. Is there an open bar at the reception?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

No greater love than this, that a man would die for His friends.

Thank you Jesus.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I would define it as "selflessness"

new topics

top topics

join