It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One line posts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
As far back as I remember one line posts here are a no no.
yet I see them all of the time with and without the obligatory "2nd line".
Recently I found a 1 line post and reported it.
1 liners most generally do not lead to discussion but only serve to be a snide comment.
Is it now ok to post 1 line replies? mods?
If so lemme know, as that would mean this board to be on the fast track as so many others where moderation is a passing joke.
What say you ATS, do we still have rules?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I saw a mod recently say that one-liners are acceptable if they are relative to the discussion.
He/she said this in regards to a user that had posted "second line" just before he/she made the comment.

If you have something to say, but it's short and sweet.. What good does adding "second line" do? Just adds meaningless text imo, and should be avoided.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Any mods care to clarify?

--> 2nd line! Derf!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
As far back as I remember one line posts here are a no no.
yet I see them all of the time with and without the obligatory "2nd line".
Recently I found a 1 line post and reported it.
1 liners most generally do not lead to discussion but only serve to be a snide comment.
Is it now ok to post 1 line replies? mods?
If so lemme know, as that would mean this board to be on the fast track as so many others where moderation is a passing joke.
What say you ATS, do we still have rules?

Quite honestly some people can easily get a message across with just one sentence better than some can with paragraphs.

Seems a petty concern to me..
..I mean so what if someone can say what they have to say in one sentence?

I can't imagine bothering the mods for a one liner, when there are much bigger concerns to worry about.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

It might be petty, but if it is still in the T&C then it would still be a rule.
I have had posts deleted for not being within the T&C, some I understand why and others I believe were spot on.
If we want civilized discussion we must have a set of rules, on the internet everyone is 7 feet tall and tough as Chuck Norris, what is to stop us from firing off some cyber roundhouses?
That's right, rules and mods.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

reply to post by gabby2011

It might be petty, but if it is still in the T&C then it would still be a rule.
I have had posts deleted for not being within the T&C, some I understand why and others I believe were spot on.
If we want civilized discussion we must have a set of rules, on the internet everyone is 7 feet tall and tough as Chuck Norris, what is to stop us from firing off some cyber roundhouses?
That's right, rules and mods.

If it upsets you that much, I promise to do my utmost to stop posting one liners..

But I will never make an issue of it with the mods.. because.. darn it..some of the best and funniest posts I have read on here are one liners..

(some people have a way of making five to ten words tell a whole story.. and a whole point of view
...and I envy them
)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Drive me Crazy

2nd

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

No 1-Liners: Please do not create minimal "me too," "I agree," or similar very-short replies. (Adding "second line" to short comments doesn't count.)

i think that explains it nicely. i dont think anyone including the mods have any issues with one liners. why post a paragraph when you can say the same in a sentance. its just an (mostly) un-enforced rule to deter the pointless one liners.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Any 1 line posts that adds to the topic is always allowed.

^
^
^

See? 1 line but it answered the question. The 1 line rule came in because of posts like, "
"

If the post contributes to a topic it doesn't matter if it's 1 line or a diatribe.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Ahhhh war on the 1 liners! I happen to be a good 1 liner without being snide in most cases.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

2 lines with the smiley.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

So, by commenting 1 word, that is acceptable?
One line but that is well within bounds.
And that is a genuine question.
1 word contributes to the post?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

So, by commenting 1 word, that is acceptable?
One line but that is well within bounds.
And that is a genuine question.
1 word contributes to the post?

"Depends." That would be your 1 word. What is the intent of the post? A question? "Why?" In the right spot don't you think that's a valid post?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Well played all seeing eye man. I just felt obligated to add the second line.
edit on 11/15/2011 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I see then.
If the mod agrees then it is valid.
Thanks for the supreme clarification.
Stay within the rules unless the mod agrees with you.
You see where that leads.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa

No 1-Liners: Please do not create minimal "me too," "I agree," or similar very-short replies. (Adding "second line" to short comments doesn't count.)

i think that explains it nicely. i dont think anyone including the mods have any issues with one liners. why post a paragraph when you can say the same in a sentance. its just an (mostly) un-enforced rule to deter the pointless one liners.

The rules are enforced sometimes. I feel that much can be said in one line. Sometimes that is all that is truly necessary, otherwise it becomes redundant.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

If you have something to say, but it's short and sweet.. What good does adding "second line" do?

"Second liners" mistakenly think that a computer program is watching all posters content to add up the number of "lines" included in a post. If you get too many "one liners" then (draws finger slowly across throat), you're out.
No disrespect to Rodney Dangerfield but software could just as easily be told to look for number of times "2nd line" appears in your posts and use that tally to throw you out the car, you think? Maybe people should type "other line"
or "next line" to save face and also thumb the rules. But why? it seems easy enough to use all that scheming brain power to actually think of something to say besides:

STFU
2nd Line

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
what
about
one
word
for
every
line

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The advantage to encouraging one-line posts is that it reduces the amount of stupidity that has to be waded through. (In general, not aimed to anyone here.)
edit on 15-11-2011 by charles1952 because: Parentheses

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by eXia7

2 lines with the smiley.

Or a dancing banana

top topics

<<   2 >>

join