U.S. Justice Department Wants To Criminalize Uploading You Tube Videos

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy
I think some people should be criminalized for what they post. How many times do you go to Youtube to find some sort of entertainment and then so much crap comes up. And now Youtube series and movies made for Youtube. People don't care about quality anymore, they are only concerned with quantity. Annoying Orange, be gone.

Oh wow I agree criminalize the stupid video posters hahaha

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is BS at it's highest level. People should be emailing Lieberman's office and sending letters. We don't need Chinese-style anything in this country except for food! This would be an Orwelian crackdown. The internet is the last frontier of open and free speech, and TPTB want to supress that. I rarely get genuinely angry about topics here on ATS, but this time, I'm pissed. I'm going to look into how to send a letter of protest to Lieberman and his other fascist cronies who support this bill.
S&F !

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
this is another one of those things the liberals want to pass in order to censor the bad coming out about them in recent.. well days look at the last 48 hours

Obama and the bailout (with NJ)

Pelosi's scandal

that solar company that ripped us all off..

I mean want me to keep going? This will NEVER come true... You realize eric holder has his hands full getting sued by medical marijuana patients in Cali (oh yeah that too)

Wait, I can help you with your list! You must mean the videos about police bruatlity, Tea Party people espousing racism, and comments about GOP contenders making idiodic gaffs. ( Not to mention their extra-marital affairs-Gingrich, and their sexual harrassment charges-Cain, and their unrealistic homophobic world views-Bachmann ).
You're right, they'll never let this pass.......

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
this is another one of those things the liberals want to pass in order to censor the bad coming out about them in recent.. well days look at the last 48 hours

It's not a left / right or Rep / Dem issue. That's just the divisive crap that keeps the people from actually uniting to fight as one against these measures, supported by both parties to keep the status quo and their own criminal enterprises going. The corporate media does a sterling job of labeling things left or right, liberal, conservative etc, but it's all designed to divide and keep the people from actually agreeing that the whole bunch are corrupt and need to go.

As long as people follow this left / right creation, we'll all be stuck in the same rigged game, with people squabbling amongst themselves over silly labels rather than addressing the rampant theft, criminality and treason comitted by those who like to place themselves above us all.

Don't play their game, ignore the labels and name calling and concentrate on the real issues, then you'll see that there is no left or right, just the same old game of bait and switch.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Please keep in mind folks, that this is the same U.S. Justice Department that refused to charge the Black Panthers for voter intimidation - even though it was captured on video. Yet, they want to arrest and prosecute for ficticious information that one may post on the internet!?!

If that doesn't fly in your face - nothing will!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yay, big government. Next you should jail people who are sick, and cough or sneeze without covering their face. Can you imagine, you are meeting someone you met from a dating website, on his/her profile they say they are 100 pounds lighter than you realize when they show up. Does that give one grounds to perform a citizens arrest.
Revolution.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
It sounds like they want to make it illegal to break any Terms of Service while on the internet.
Are they going to try prosecuting those who break ATS's ToS someday?
Really, this story is just absurd. Doesn't the DoJ have something better to do?

Any website's ToS is not law, it is a set of guidelines for member behavior. Violating them is not tantamount to a crime. I can't see how this would ever fly in a court of law.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
All I have to say is, "Thank you, Mr. Holder and Mr. Obama." You have shown your true colors. I wonder when these two are going to replace the "Stars and Stripes" with the Swastika?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Backed by Joe Lieberman who wants to eliminate all internet anonymity and implement a system worse than china's, the good ole winner of "Defender of Isreal" award... why am I not surprised. How this guy is still in office shows how corrupt and screwed up this system is. Every time I hear about this asshole, he's trying to get more US citizen's rights destroyed and expand the govt's power to spy on people or do something that benefits Isreal, not the US (wants to invade Iran etc). It disgusts me that these people who clearly aren't working for the people are in office, this whole system is so bogus and rigged.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

What do you think an IP address is??

second

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AP-Chris

Here's a better terms and service!

Any Congressman or President, aside from Ron Paul, reading this website must step down immediately otherwise they are violating the terms and service of this website and therefore the law.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Read between the lines. Something BIG is coming. They want a means of shutting "trouble makers" up when it happens.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What could I possibly say?

This is just more hard evidence that our government is 100% delusional.

Think about this real hard folks.

If I created a KKK website, and the TOC said "No Blacks Allowed", and a black person signed up, they can go to jail for this?

There are so many countless ways to reveal this as the garbage it really is.
I think my example proves the point good enough though.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RisenAngel77

LOL How are they going to know if I lied about my weight?? And who are "they" that are going to come and get me? That's too ridiculous, especially since our weight changes everyday, what happens if I make a profile at 180lb then gain 10lb the next week, who and how are they going to catch me in my horrible lie???

This world is ABSURD! Our leaders are INSANE!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
As usual Prison Planet has not provided the information needed to have an opinion and sensationalized this. To get the whole picture you have to do the looking yourself or it's just knee jerk reactions.

However I've just spent time looking up all I can find and I've read the arguments and both sides have valid points. The real issue seems to be too broad language, not the fact some laws need to be in place. The original 1986 laws this is being based on are way to vague and can be abused by an overzealous prosecution is the problem.

The Lieberman crap is just a product of Prisons Planets Antisemitic agenda which so often rears its ugly head at Prison Planet in my opinion. They single him out simply because he is a Jew and he is hardly the story here. This is about the committee reviewing this stuff not an individual. I'm sure our resident Antisemitic people will have a field day with this.

If you folks have followed through the letter that was sent regarding this is pretty clear in stating that what is needed is for the law to be clarified and well defined before the penalties are updated, which is what is happening here, not a new law from what I've read.

A law is needed but care is also needed to author it so that it cannot be abused nor should it apply to things already illegal like fraud that causes harm or for monetary gain.

Apparently it was used as a way to take some action against a girl who's posts caused suffering and suicide of another girl she was harassing using a fake name. It was thrown out on appeal meaning that president is set so that, no they likely won't bother trying that one again. Still it is worrying.

This appears to be part of an ongoing process since the later part of the 1980's and how do they deal with all the problems the Internet has created.

As to the YouTube video's they already have what they need to go after people who steal intellectual property as they should. The other should be YouTubes business and problem I agree. The last thing our government needs is more control of anything.

I wish places like Prison Planet would pen articles that are informative instead of hyped and those who cut and paste their articles like the source on this OP should at least try and provide more information.
edit on 11/16/2011 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
a product of Prisons Planets Antisemitic agenda which so often rears its ugly head

Last I checked the word "Semite" referred to a language group.

Are you saying that Prison Planet has an agenda against the Amharic, Arabic, Hebrew, Aramaic, and Syriac languages?

That's really strange.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
If there were no such thing as underground bunkers, these scum wouldn't even dream about 99% of the crap they try to push through. This is just ridiculous. What's next? If you let your email inbox get too full, off to jail too?

U

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Here's some more grist for the mill....

Busted! DOJ says you might be a felon if you clicked a link or opened email
www.networkworld.com...

More, more, more....

If they can't kill the medium they'll kill the messenger.

One would think these people consider "fair use" as blasphemy.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by Blaine91555
a product of Prisons Planets Antisemitic agenda which so often rears its ugly head

Last I checked the word "Semite" referred to a language group.

Are you saying that Prison Planet has an agenda against the Amharic, Arabic, Hebrew, Aramaic, and Syriac languages?

That's really strange.

I'm disappointed Muzzleflash. Word games, really? You know as well as I do the Contemporary meaning of the word.

No, I said its my opinion they lean that way, please note I was careful to say it's my opinion. It's hardly a secret here either that many have an Antisemitic bias. I also suggested that Prison Planet hypes stories.

I do agree however that care needs to be taken with these laws and they need to be well defined. I agree with the letter (linked later in this post).

Senators Leahy and Grassley are the relevant persons here I think as heads of the committee.

Link to PDF of the letter mentioned in articles.

We believe any Judiciary Committee action to reform the CFAA should first
attempt to correct this glaring vagueness and overbreadth. We are eager to assist
the Committee in addressing problems in the existing statutory language and in
ensuring that critical Justice Department resources are focused where they are most
needed: on the malicious hackers and online criminals who invade others’
computers and networks to steal sensitive information and undermine the privacy of
those whose information is stolen.
Sincerely,
Laura W. Murphy, Director, Washington Legislative Office
American Civil Liberties Union
Kelly William Cobb, Executive Director
Americans for Tax Reform’s Digital Liberty
Leslie Harris, President and CEO
Center for Democracy & Technology
Fred L. Smith, President
Competitive Enterprise Institute
Marcia Hofman, Senior Staff Attorney
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Charles H. Kennedy, Partner
Wilkinson, Barker, Knauer, LLP*
Wayne T. Brough, Ph.D., Chief Economist and Vice President, Research
FreedomWorks Foundation
Orin S. Kerr, Professor of Law
George Washington University*
Paul Rosenzweig
Visiting Fellow, The Heritage Foundation*
Berin Szoka, President
TechFreedom
*(Affiliation listed for identification purposes only)

Hopefully their letter found a willing ear and open minds.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I haven't read all of the replys and perhaps someone has already stated this BUT it seems to me that this may be yet another atempt to gain access to our personal information via the internet without a warrant. The only way for them to inforce this law would be for them to have access to this information. How many laws would have to change in order for them to access this information? It seems to me this would litteraly remove any and all internet privacy laws. That being said imagine the doors that would open up when someone posted from their cell phone? Would the gov. then have access to your cell phone activity text, emails, etc. all in the name of verifying identity of an online social network user? This smells bad no matter where you sniff it. I'm sure I'm missing a larger picture as the gov. law makers are always trying to pull one over on us...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join