It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can our Conscious be compared to Gravity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
As this thread may seem pretentious as I am only taking AS level philosophy as of right now.

Well I had a thought the other day in class, and we were speaking about how we can identify the features of a thought and what it is related to. Well people were debating that it must be physical as it is connected to our brain, and vice verse, and I kept quiet about this theory as I thought it might be a bit off topic, and I might not of been able to explain myself properly.

What if our mind is actually controlled in the same way as gravity is controlled? Physical mass (planets/stars) determine how the gravity will react. We can sense gravity and have a basic understanding on how it works, although to my knowledge we cannot identify it. The same can be said for thoughts, the amount of signals (situations/surroundings) that go through your brain raise/lower activity in certain areas, as we can see in scans and observations in the brain through scans. I mean it sounds silly to me, but at the same time it could have a connection.

Maybe it is in the same 'realm' as where gravity originated/resides? Maybe it is an evolved descendent of gravity? I have no idea, although I felt like posting this and maybe hearing what you have to say.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShedAlert
As this thread may seem pretentious as I am only taking AS level philosophy as of right now.

Well I had a thought the other day in class, and we were speaking about how we can identify the features of a thought and what it is related to. Well people were debating that it must be physical as it is connected to our brain, and vice verse, and I kept quiet about this theory as I thought it might be a bit off topic, and I might not of been able to explain myself properly.

What if our mind is actually controlled in the same way as gravity is controlled? Physical mass (planets/stars) determine how the gravity will react. We can sense gravity and have a basic understanding on how it works, although to my knowledge we cannot identify it. The same can be said for thoughts, the amount of signals (situations/surroundings) that go through your brain raise/lower activity in certain areas, as we can see in scans and observations in the brain through scans. I mean it sounds silly to me, but at the same time it could have a connection.

Maybe it is in the same 'realm' as where gravity originated/resides? Maybe it is an evolved descendent of gravity? I have no idea, although I felt like posting this and maybe hearing what you have to say.

Well it might. Gravity is best understood by our current science as an artifact, a by product of something else. In the case of gravity it is a distortion of space-time by an object and it's respective mass and that "warps" space around it. If our conscious, our sense of self is an artifact of the brain it's possible it's not entirely contained with in it. As wild as this sounds it's a theory that's getting serious play by those who look into the field of "neuroquantology" Check it out on the net.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
yea i see where you're going with that. it makes you wonder since your thoughts fly around in your head but you can't see them until you write them down. and gravity is all around us but we can't see it until an object is influenced by it. according to 11 dimensional string theory gravity is the connector of the dimensions so i can see how consciousness could also originate and exist in other dimensions as well, brings back the age old question of where you go when you die?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Thank you. I haven't heard anything like this before that I know of although obviously could of picked it up somewhere without noticing. I might have to steal your post for tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Well, Gravity is thought to have been contributed to the effect (or whatever thereof) of Dark matter/dark energy or whichever. There is much speculation that humans may be able to affect the physical realm with thoughts transmitted by electrical impulses. Gravity though, I don't really know how that would be conveyed from the brain.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It is a possibility, without a doubt. An even stronger one if gravity is a "by-product" of electromagnetism. As someone brought up antimatter, it is an interesting note that lightning has been shown to discharge small amounts of antimatter. Maybe related, maybe not, but pretty cool either way

It would tie in many different contexts throughout history, interestingly enough, just within our current standing with "true" exploration of the universe around us.

So, if what you postulate is true as a possibility, we can explore the idea. The human context is limited, in that, anything we experience greater than "ourselves" will be pared down into an understandable context. This is as true for someone who lived 4000 years ago as it is now, just different contexts. If consciousness can be compared to gravity, how would it actually physically manifest? Could we expect to see similar properties between different systems? Meaning, could things like "mob mentality" be attributable to actual physical forces at play?

I have my own ideas, of course, but I am more interested in others perspectives on the same "matter." (get it? ha!
). Well see.

It is possible that what has been understood as everything from chi, to chakras, to auras is actually better understood, and explored, in an electromagnetic context.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShedAlert
reply to post by arbiture

Thank you. I haven't heard anything like this before that I know of although obviously could of picked it up somewhere without noticing. I might have to steal your post for tomorrow.

Feel free, but you can find a lot out on your own. What is the conscious mind is one of the great questions of the ages. It is beginning to look like it extends outside each persons scull. And this violates causality. Hence it's very hard to "study" in the classical sense. It may be that human, and other conscious thought as experienced by intelligent creatures is somehow part of a greater diaspora. Who knows. I'm happy in the morning if I can just find my car keys...

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ShedAlert

Thought is related to Time and Gravity is related to Magnetics.

"The old saying, "I think, therefore I am" can be converted into, God/Source thinks, therefore Time is." - Old Toad Proverb

Where dew you think the Source of Time originates from?

Ribbit

new topics

top topics

join