It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do different if you knew you were going to live for at least 1,000 years?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Very soon, it will be possible to live at least a thousand years.
What would you do differently in your life?
I would educate meself for the first hundred years.
Just think, You could have a mid-life crisis at 500 years old and it could last a hundred years.....

www.sciencedaily.com...
edit on 15-11-2011 by LeRoy1968 because: change layout

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Oh so you have proof too. Well since your other thread will be erased...

I think that
Each year we
will be taxed
by our government
to keep our
life.

Why? Well think about it. If old people don't die, we will either have to grow out of our sexual shell and stop reproducing as often (which would be kind of cool to see a civilization of a bunch of thousand-year-old men and women that are technologically advanced), or we will have to commit mass genocides. OR we would have to create an artificial land mass out on the Atlantic (which would also be cool to see) to set up a new country. Likewise, this would be spectacular because now we could retain the experience of 20 lifetimes or even more. Very stunning but is it really true?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I seriously doubt that any human mind could bear such longevity,
we would propably see a sharp increase in suicide statistics somewhere around 300 years...
But that´s just my opinion.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by LeRoy1968

Do you want to freeze yourself?aren't we enough skunks?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeRoy1968
Just think, You could have a mid-life crisis at 500 years old and it could last a hundred years.....

www.sciencedaily.com...

If this world doesn't change dramatically in some ways.. I have no desire to live in it for a thousand years..

I can imagine the the companies involved in cosmetics and creams to appear younger will love what it does for their stocks though

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeRoy1968

www.sciencedaily.com...

OK, local network filter has the link blocked, so you're going to have to clarify a few points for me.

1) Is this generally just a slow-down in aging, effectively stretching out human life comparably (for example, you're now a teenager at roughly around 130 years to about 200 years)? In that case, count me out. Imagine decades of puberty.

2) Is this simply an extension to our current aging process? In that case, count me out. I already can't imagine being old is terribly much fun for a long time - now imagine being old and beyond for about 900 years.

3) Or, does this somehow keep us in the prime of our life? In that case, I would do my best to trying to help the world get its head out of its collective butt and keep working to get people to stop being ignorant and cruel to each other, as well as figuring out a way off this rock - everyone likes to complain about overpopulation now, so imagine what would happen if we all live 10 times longer. DEFINITELY time to make everyone place nice and find new space to roam around in.

Depends on the details, but a lot of other innovation and expansion is a must if this is the sort of long life anyone would actually care to live.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think it would be awesome to see how civilisation progresses over such a long period of time, hopefully for the better. Also the same for technology, maybe in my lifetime I might get to see us going to other star systems and so on.

I remember reading up on some other research in this field which involved resetting a cells telomeres, each time a cell divides its telomeres become shorter, and a group is working on something called teleomerase which resets them back to the beginning thus lengthening the life of the replication. (or something like that, a quick Google will reveal all)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

do differently? Like we dont already live as if we have forever.. Its not like someones gonna say "hey, we got 900 years to go, maybe we should better ourselves..". No its gonna be, "ah we have another 900 years to do that, ill take the trash out nexT millenium.". Honestly though, id totally become a beach bum! And explore the amazon.. Or punch my neighbor in the face..

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Immortals are a group of fictional characters seen in the movies and series of the Highlander franchise. Since they are immune to disease and stop aging after becoming Immortal, they can live forever and they only die when they are beheaded.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Jesus H . . . I'm about 275 sunsets shy of a half-century and I've already pretty much had enough. Another 950 years of this and I'll stab out my own heart, disembowl myself and poke out both my eyes with a pickie-rod just so I don't have to go through it.

I mean . .. damn . .. at 75, the 'fellers' are danglin' near the ground, your ass turns to something that flaps in the wind like a flag in a hurricane, you fart by accident with every step and there's that whole incontinence thing . .. Imagine how wonderful that would be at . .. lets say . . .. 362 years old.

Ugh.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I think the odds of accidental death would easily knock it down to 200 years. Living 1000 years and avoiding all lifes dangers seems impossible.
Either way I would not want to live 1000 years. I have no fear of death and honestly living in this world as it is for 1000 years seems pretty depressing. You can have it because society is sucky and I am only 35 and feel like I am done with it. Banks corporations pedos sex offenders murders, war machines government they all make me want to vomit and die.
I wish there was an island I could take my family and escape from it all in peace....but oh yeah you need hordes of wealth to do that...something only all the above mentioned have.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Who do you think you are Maradona?How many women do you wan't to have in 1000 years?100?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I would live for 1000 years only if I could spend my days flying anti-gravity wingsuits at 140 to 300+ mph.

HAnging out here on the ground with all these boring mortals would not cut it.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I really love my wife, but I wouldn't get married if I was going to be alive for 1,000 years!!

I would also buy rare collectibles and antiques now so I could be a billionare in a couple hundred years!!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I would have spent many more years traveling around.

To avoid being some sad geriatric eating cat food you have to get a pretty early start on all that "adult" stuff like pensions and 401K's and home ownership.

If say 900 of those 1000 years were all healthy years I'd just be a bike riding, couch surfing, migrant temp job working bum for a good 600 or so of them.

Then I'd get a real job, home, family and that other crap that eases you into death.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If i were to be immortal, meaning, nothing can hurt me, wont need food, etc etc, if i get 1000yrs guranteed. First thing i would do i get on a space ship and begin my exploration of space. Idk live on the moon for few months, than mars etc etc... oh and also go to deepest parts of the ocean.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Scientists have recently succeeded in rejuvenating cells from elderly donors (aged over 100). These old cells were reprogrammed in vitro to induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) and to rejuvenated and human embryonic stem cells (hESC): cells of all types can again be differentiated after this genuine "rejuvenation" therapy. The results represent significant progress for research into iPSC cells and a further step forwards for regenerative medicine.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

biological " immortality " in no garuntee that you will live for a millenium , i have not yet lived for 50 years [ just ] but already have survived 7 incidents that i know i was fortunate to survive

so unless a prospective methusula lives a utterly risk averse life - insuluating themselves from any danger real or imagined - they risk death by acute trauma

further - will 100 years of education help you ? really help you - will you actually remember everything ?????????

as an first example , i will use mathematics - below post graduate degree level study - there is virtually no reasoning in mathematical education - its all memorisation

no matter what your age - you do not remember everything - take prime numbers - what makes a number a ` prime nuber ` ?

the rule is simple - but if you do not memosise it -you are stuffed

if you forget the rule - but memorise the first ie - , 2 ,3,5,7,11,17,19,23,29, 31 - you can by decuction reconstruct the rule

if you forget both - prime numbers are a mystery to you

my second example - languages

a classic example of " use it or loose it "

25 years ago - i could ` function ` in french , german and catalan - able to by buy food , secure accoodation , sevices - etc etc

now i can only ememember < 100 french and catalan words and < 300 german

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I would go to every garage sale I could find, buy up useless junk, then wait 500 years and sell it all for millions of dollars, or whatever is fashionable at the time.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
What would I do... hmmm.

I would take my first hundred or two years to secure my living, so as to not ever worry about debt. Then I would give up material goods and travel the world for another two hundred years or so... so that leaves me around four hundred, maybe five hundred.... I guess at that point I would have found a partner worthy enough for me
I guess I would move somewhere tropical and just start popping out babies... enjoy the leisure life unless I haven't accomplished what I wanted to.

Oh, and hopefully by then they would surgically give me wings.
edit on 15-11-2011 by phaesporia63incarnate because: grammar

top topics

<<   2 >>

join