It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Orbit Wrong Cornell University Says.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by yeahright

Thankyou. I read it. Right up front in the abstract we see the author state:

On the other hand,
the values for the physical and orbital parameters of such a hypothetical body
required to obtain the right order of magnitude for e˙ are completely unrealistic;

Dude is debunking his own article before it begins. No real solutions are offered, just a rehash of others work.

"If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, then baffle 'em with bull____."

Um, he's not asserting that there's an outside "planet x" pulling on the moon. Therefore, he can't possibly be "debunking his own article."

What he IS saying is that the variance in the orbit of the moon can't be properly explained by current models regarding the interior dissipation of the earth and the moon. This is neither a rehash or bull____, as you so eloquently pointed out.

He's found a problem with the data when applied to current models. That means we have to check the measurements or revise the model. This will ultimately lead to greater understanding of how these two bodies interact.

However, if you jump into the discussion making a baseless assumption about Nibiru, read only until you find something that "debunks" that baseless assumption, and post it to feel good, I can see where you're coming from.

Don't take the OP's attitude and your reaction to it into account when discussing the article. It's not the author's fault that the work done was used out of context.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by ClydeFrog42

I think that is the problem millions of people don't look up, they continue looking straight in front of them, and ignore whats above them. And can we really rely on the NEWS to point out something like that? We can't even get the truth from them. I guess its based on personal "real life" observations if you ask me.

Amateur astromoners observe the moon continuously, yet none of them report anything wrong with its position or orientation. We know how it should look and where it should be, and we would know if it were off. I myself even directly measured its position to a resolution far greater than human visual limits, and guess what, nothing is wrong with it. That data is completely ignored by cherub and others who wish to believe something is wrong. They laughably claim that nothing I say "can prove anything." If you seriously believe that then you're not thinking rationally and no one can help you.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrimTroll

Its silliness to assume your local news station is systematically feeding you lies all day. Real things happen that matter to most people, and they get reported on

Silliness?
Really?

Even if the source is reputable, the source is probably just an idiot with an opinion.

Hahaha.

News, Local or not, blows.
It's a money grab, no one gives a #!

Anyone in Marketing or Advertising.... kill yourself!

yah but... have you ever watched the news? I have, and they discuss issues that are important that day.

They might not discuss conspiracy theories, or bare bones corruption... but they dont just blatantly lie. Some partisan networks might omit certain topics... but that doesn't make the news useless....

If theres a homicide, if the markets fluctuating, if theres a storm front coming in, if there is an election, if there is a local or national event, if there is ANYTHING going on that you aren't aware of that you would like to be... where do you turn? ATS? no... the news!!!

Non-conspiracy minded people are perfectly happy with the news. They dont feel like they are being lied to, because there not. A reported might not get all the facts perfectly strait, and may even be wrong now and again, but that in no way discredits the news apparatus.

People around here are so quick to dump on the news... yet they dont even know what purpose it serves.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

I never said the moon flipped over. If you were to read my post on page 7 at the bottom of the page,you might understand what I am saying and why.

Sorry...my fault, you called it your "Upside Down Moon"...which is clearly different than 'Flipped over moon'

Did you mean your post in this thread or the 'Upside Down Moon" one? If you meant this thread, then I am to understand that you feel that you are 'on to something' and that this new report may be one part of the puzzle......

I see no puzzle though. Your 'Upside Down Moon' thread was clearly debunked by many people, not to mention the fact that it takes an enormous amount of hubris to imagine that you are right and the thousands, upon thousand of amature astronomers the world over that Haven't started freaking out because the Moon looks funny are all wrong! Not to mention I don't see how an imperceptible (to the human eye) anomaly in the Moons orbit could fit into a puzzle where you are claiming such a radical change in the Moon (again...that has somehow been missed by amateur and professional astronomers the world over). You seem quite desperate to find anything possible that will help 'prove' your belief in a Moon that is radically wrong...despite all the evidence to the contrary....There is no puzzle here. Everything is completely normal. If you want to find an astronomical body that is acting loony then I suggest you research the Sun...there is plenty of good scientific papers about how it is indeed acting radically different than what is normally expected.... .

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The OP article merely states that they found a slight deviation in eccentricity (meaning it's not a perfect elipse, it's extending or contracting slightly) over a period of years from what they EXPECTED.

And about a thousand posters have indicated, this change is minimal, and impossible to detect without highly precise lasers.

Isn't it plausible to assume this could merely be a symptom of better technology? We are capable to making extremely precise measurements now compared to a few decades ago. could this merely be something that we didn't detect before because we couldn't?

Anyways, since I'm only posting this for those who read the title and skip to the last page to post a reply:

Moon Orbit Wrong Cornell University Says.

The moon orbit is fine, it's eccentricity is changing slightly over a period of years in such small amounts it's impossible to detect without lasers.

Cornell University has nothing to do with this paper, and you've probably opened ATS up for a lawsuit once Cornell sees this crap load of a thread being passed off with their name attached to a study merely hosting on a site they are involved with. It hasn't even been peer reviewed.

Any change in the moons position / orbit above marginal would have instant and MEASURABLE effects on the earth, namely our tides. I live near the Bay of Fundy which has the highest tides on earth. The tides are coming in and going out exactly as they should based on, wait for it, the position of the moon.

A slight deviation in eccentricity does NOT explain any of the "moon is wrong" threads being posted here. Pointing this out does not make one a disinfo agent.

Understanding the phases of the moon does not make one a disinfo agent
Posting scientifically backed up data does not make one a disinfo agent.

Refusing to listen to valid facts, acting rude and childish towards the people posting those facts, and immediately calling anyone who disagrees a "troll"

Does indeed make you a disinfo agent. Because you are knowingly spreading false information.
edit on 16-11-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-11-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Irrelevant. You are not seeing a difference of a few cms in the position of the moon from the expected position by eye. What the paper shows is that as far as your eyes and telescope's are concerned, it's right where it should be.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I haven't opened up anyone to anything. You need to take a breather. You act like your about to pop.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I'm skeptical, but I'm not sure the world would end if God decided to move the heavens. Consider the miracle of the sun and the apparition at ivory coast.

Both events happened in front of crowds but the whole world did not witness it as well. I can't help but think about how "there will be signs in heaven".
edit on 16-11-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Well we have all tried explaining this to him , but alas to no avail......

it is a shame when logic and science are no longer listened to.

thanks

Snoopyuk

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by volafox

Google Sky.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I trust both God's Word and the laws of physics He gave to govern the universe. What does that have to do with this thread?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I would question the 'reason' for posting this, over the possibility of the moon being out of whack. When sensational stories get sparse, we seem to have a host of these type appear. And so what if it were out a thousand miles and had a pole reversal? What would change here? Here on earth? Their saying it's affected in centimeters....... small ones at that, Hell, maybe where they are measuring from has moved, plate tectonics...........

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

I see you seem to have it all figured out, and me included huh? I can tell by your long term membership you must really know everything. Once again if you bothered to read my earlier posts this morning you would know why I posted the thread. I see you don't thread much yourself,

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
OK, this is about the 5th or 6th thread I've read by the OP in the past few weeks, all of which have outlandish statements based on the most tenuous "evidence" of the most ludicrous origin.
When confronted with actual facts, backed up by peer reviewed, credible sources the OP resorts to calling all those with opposing views disinfo agents and trolls. This is not denying ignorance by searching for the truth, this is spreading stories blindly followed because they seem to amass to some sort of obsession with the end of the world from space. The OP may as well just stick his fingers in his/her ears and sing lalalala for all the difference a coherent, logical argument against their theories would make to them.

CherubBaby, your sir/madam have just made my ignore list. Don't bother responding, I won't see it.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

I understand that you simply presented the article, but the point still remains: what is the conspiracy? That there was an error in the math? If there is some deeper conspiracy, what is it? Or is this just a news piece, completely unrelated to conspiracy?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Wow, i see the OP can't handle opposing opinions at all. I've seen a few of his threads lately and his responses are always the same. Calling people "experts" after they post decent evidence that opposes his views on any subject.

You expect everyone to agree with you just because you are the author of the thread ? That seems to be the case since you turn hostile on anyone who doesn't agree with you.

You're telling people that they can't proove anything. But all your proof is your statement that "the moon is not supposed to be a Boat/ smiley face anywhere this far north of the equator."

No offence, but your threads do more harm than good to the forum.
edit on 16/11/2011 by Spotless because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ryanp5555

Hi Ryan if you go to page 7 and go to the bottom of the page my post will explain why I threaded the article.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Ok i feel a little better now, i thaught i was going crazy.

One night the moons straight above me at 10 pm, then the next night it wa slike 8pm, then i didnt see it for 2 weeks i think because it was coming up so early it was over the horizon before it was dark. Then i start to see it above me around 7pm for a while then i dont see it again for a few days. it was really bothering me becasue i like to look at the moon with a telescope and it was always easily predictable where and when i could see it.

And the other day i just barely glanced at the sun too, through a light cloud covering, and it was the blindest i ever got from looking at the sun. it had to no muchmore than a quarter second and i had a huge whitespot in my vision for almost a minute. i remember looking at it for at least a full second in clear skys and not being as blinded.

Strange stuff hapeening here indeed!

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter
reply to post by ClydeFrog42

Amateur astromoners observe the moon continuously, yet none of them report anything wrong with its position or orientation. We know how it should look and where it should be, and we would know if it were off. I myself even directly measured its position to a resolution far greater than human visual limits, and guess what, nothing is wrong with it. That data is completely ignored by cherub and others who wish to believe something is wrong. They laughably claim that nothing I say "can prove anything." If you seriously believe that then you're not thinking rationally and no one can help you.

Um, sorry to be blunt, but im an amateur astronomer, and i know exactly where and when to see the moon, as do most people who lived here the entire lives and always observed the sky.

And this past 2 months or more many of us are seeing and saying the exact same thing.The moons orbit is not as it should be.

I mean, you can normally see the moon in close proximity to the same place at the same time everynight, but ofcourse it will slightly change its position as the world tilts and what not.

But that doesnt explain why thousands of us from all around the world, can see it straight above us at say, 10pm one night, then not even in the sky at 10pm the next. Then 7pm the next night, then not again for days even weeks. But all of a sudden its back for a few days around the same part if the sky for a few nights around 9pm directly above us, then no where near that positon 24 hours later. and so on.

Im not saying your spreading dis-info, just saying your information doesnt seem to be correct. When thousands of people are saying the same thing, and we are all witnessing it first hand, something seems to be wrong.

edit on 16-11-2011 by kman420 because: quotes didnt work first time properly

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kman420

You may wish to clarify, because your assertions are, at best, not credible:

And this past 2 months or more many of us.....

Show some sources for that?.

Now, what is troubling here is, you say "many" above, but the go on to say:

But that doesnt explain why thousands of us from all around the world....

You know, props for being an amateur astronomer, but....how much experience in the hobby do you have, so far? Are you certain of the sources you use for observations, and for comparison?

Also, what is there to say about (as pointed out previously) the very sophisticated devices that are sold to amateur hobbyist astronomers? The fact that those computers and devices that help them aim telescopes, based on known orbital paths of the Moon, planets, stars, etc.....those units all work just fine, and are not "wrong"?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join